Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Billet oil pump gears

Can any body tell me about what to expect in labor to swap out the oil pump gears to a set of billet gears? If I were to pull the pump how hard would it be to swap them out myself? How hard is the pump to pull? I have never had to pull an oil pump out before but I am very mechanically inclined and can do a lot myself.

Crazy SVT Poster
    I just had mine done.

It is a days works, so 7-900
    2011 GT - 6R80 Swapped - Lund Racing TT. Sold to Ken Bjonnes @ Lund Racing

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RFM50 View Post
    Can any body tell me about what to expect in labor to swap out the oil pump gears to a set of billet gears? If I were to pull the pump how hard would it be to swap them out myself? How hard is the pump to pull? I have never had to pull an oil pump out before but I am very mechanically inclined and can do a lot myself.
    Everything on the front of the motor needs to come off. The valve covers need to come off. The balancer needs to come off.The front cover needs to come off. The timing chains need to come off.

Then you will see the oil pump on the crank snout.

Ford Service Manuals - IN-VEHICLE REPAIR

Looks like it's time consuming, but not difficult. It's on my list of things to do.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears, Baer 11" front brakes)

Quote Originally Posted by RFM50 View Post
    im pretty sure they just slide out of the oil pump once you have it removed. I have changed the oil pump gears (to billet ones) on my 04 awhile back and they werent hard to swap out at all. I dont remember exactly how to swap them out, but it was not difficult.

You will need to remove the intake, valve covers, accessory drive, dampener, timing cover, cam chains (Make sure you mark their position with a sharpie or paint pen) and then theres the oil pump.

it's a pretty involved job.
    2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue: Coyote Swap, MM kmember, Cortex watts link/Torque Arm
    2012 Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue: KWV3's, Griggs TA/Watts linkage, return-style fuel system
    2013 F150 Fx4 - Blue Flame: AED Tune, Livernois offroad midpipe, Full-Race intercooler
    2014 Focus ST - Performance Blue: CPe stage 2 mount
    2007 Yamaha R6 - Oxford White/Satin Black: 520 conversion
    2006 Corvette Z06 - Lemans Blue: Tune, ported intake/throttle body, MGW shifter, CF10 wheels. 484RWHP

Crazy SVT Poster
    So, to take the OP's question a step further, how much ADDITIONAL work (time and labor) if you are having an SC such as Roush installed anyway? I would think that it would be easier with the front of the car already torn apart, and it would be piece of mind with the blower . . .

Thanks guys for your responses. It does sound like something I could pull off and might just be something I do as I install my Paxton that I am waiting on. Sorry for the late response, I subscribed to my thread but it never notified me I had responses.
    Last edited by RFM50; 06-06-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Do I have to get billet oil pump gears when I get my supercharger, or is it just an advisable thing to do? Will the factory-stock oil pump gears hold up? I don't drive the car everyday, nor do I beat the piss out of it too often.
    '12 Mustang GT 5.0L

-FRPP BOSS 302 I/M
    -ZEX Wet Nitrous System
    -Pypes Stepped L/T Headers
    -Pypes 3" O/R X
    -Custom 3" C/B
    -Steeda Tri-Ax STS
    -Axle-Exchange 1-Piece Aluminum D/S
    -FRPP 3.55 Gears
    -Tuned by Chris Jones @ BlowByRacing

A billet gear is a great upgrade once your making high hp. Some have made 900 on a stock gear while others lost it at 500. Mine's a 3v and mine went right after I hit 708rwhp. I swapped to the Triangle Speed Shop billet gear and been great so far. It's better to replace before then after. I was lucky I didn't loose my motor. 2 Nasty Racing did a great job on it when they built it in 2010.

You will have to remove the front of the motor and loosen up your oil pan to get to the pump itself. Once you remove it, it slides in and out in seconds. Recommend to lube it before re-install though.
    561-417-5555 ext 301
    www.blowbyracing.com
    Like us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blowbyracing
    Follow us on Instagram: #blowbyracing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@BBR View Post
    A billet gear is a great upgrade once your making high hp. Some have made 900 on a stock gear while others lost it at 500. Mine's a 3v and mine went right after I hit 708rwhp. I swapped to the Triangle Speed Shop billet gear and been great so far. It's better to replace before then after. I was lucky I didn't loose my motor. 2 Nasty Racing did a great job on it when they built it in 2010.

You will have to remove the front of the motor and loosen up your oil pan to get to the pump itself. Once you remove it, it slides in and out in seconds. Recommend to lube it before re-install though.
    Thanks for the info, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by REPCobra10 View Post
    Do I have to get billet oil pump gears when I get my supercharger, or is it just an advisable thing to do? Will the factory-stock oil pump gears hold up? I don't drive the car everyday, nor do I beat the piss out of it too often.
    Stock will be fine if you run ~8-10 psi. It's when you run a lot of boost/HP the possibility of the stock oil pump gears failing, increases.

Mine have been fine. As like Steve said, its better to replace them now then be sorry. If you plan on running a lot of boost then id get the billet gears now.

Quote Originally Posted by jymboslice View Post
    Stock will be fine if you run ~8-10 psi. It's when you run a lot of boost/HP the possibility of the stock oil pump gears failing, increases.

Mine have been fine. As like Steve said, its better to replace them now then be sorry. If you plan on running a lot of boost then id get the billet gears now.
    Thanks for your info, as well. I plan to run around 9-10 psi with the Edelbrock E-Force. It's far from a daily driver, so maybe I'll be okay without changing them out?

Quote Originally Posted by REPCobra10 View Post
    Thanks for your info, as well. I plan to run around 9-10 psi with the Edelbrock E-Force. It's far from a daily driver, so maybe I'll be okay without changing them out?
    I think you'll be ok. Kenne bell broke their stock oil pump gears at 15psi? i believe. Don't quote me on that though. It was more than 10 psi in which they broke the stock gears i know that.

Im running a tvs now near 600hp and am not to worried about it but once i go forged ill do it while its out $400 for the set and peace of mind is worth it

why is everyone talking about just the billet gears. The 2013 GT500 has a billet oil pump back plate to prevent deformation under heavy oil pressure and loading, cast gears are retained.

M5lp 1203 19 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5 8 V8 Photo 20

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_18.html

is there no back plate on a coyote oil pump and if so, do we need?
    Last edited by twistedneck; 06-06-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedneck View Post
    why is everyone talking about just the billet gears. The 2013 GT500 has a billet oil pump back plate to prevent deformation under heavy oil pressure and loading, cast gears are retained.

M5lp 1203 19 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5 8 V8 Photo 20

M5lp 1203 17 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5 8 V8 Photo 18

is there no back plate on a coyote oil pump and if so, do we need?
    Good question! I am interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

Crazy SVT Poster
    It's not the horsepower that is being made that causes the gears to fail. It's the rpm's the motor is turning. The oil pump doesn't know if it's in a motor making 375 hp or 750 hp. It does know if the motor is spinning 7500 rpm's. So if your still running the stock rev limiter there shouldn't be a need for the billet gears on a street driven car. BUT if your at the track a lot and are seeing some high rpm's, I'm sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo900rr View Post
    It's not the horsepower that is being made that causes the gears to fail. It's the rpm's the motor is turning. The oil pump doesn't know if it's in a motor making 375 hp or 750 hp. It does know if the motor is spinning 7500 rpm's. So if your still running the stock rev limiter there shouldn't be a need for the billet gears on a street driven car. BUT if your at the track a lot and are seeing some high rpm's, I'm sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade. My .02
    Ok I get your point with the higher rpm but doesn't it have a lot to do with the sc causing more oil pressure and crankcase pressure? The more hp you produce the more strain it puts on everything.
    Last edited by RFM50; 06-06-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Crazy SVT Poster
    There have been numerous oil pump failures on blown 5.0s across multiple forums, but this is the first thread that I've read where it was specifically stated that the risk could be mitigated by keeping it under a certain HP or RPM number. Would be nice to get confirmation of this . . . or at least some anecdotal evidence.

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2 StevenStarke's Avatar
    It doesn't make sense that it would blow under a power level vs an Rpm. What actually fails, the gears break? And why is oil pressure being jacked up for a blower. Blow by? Then why not run a breather setup off the valve covers? I say RPM, not boost.
    Last edited by StevenStarke; 06-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    2011 5.0. 6mt. Boss block with Hellion TT kit.

This is something I am definitely unsure of and I am sure someone else can answer better then me.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo900rr View Post
    This.

Livernois broke a set of OEM gears on an N/A Coyote engine, in 2010. It's an RPM thing...

its not a HP thing, its all about the RPM, most people that boost there cars also raise the rev limiter to 7300-7500rpm. 800rpm is A LOT, and the factory pieces can only hold on for so long.
    "A warranty is like your virginity. Once its gone, its really not that big of a deal."

CURRENT VEHICLE:
    Oxford White 2014 A6 GT
    Old Setup: Black Paxton 2200SL, 11psi, JLT intake, Jegs Cat Deletes, Borla S-types, E85, AED tune, Dark stars 17x4.5 front and 15x10 rear with MT 325 DR's : [email protected] in 7000' DA with a stock converter.
    New Setup: EDP Single Turbo, Precision 7475, TSS Billet OPG's, JPC fuel system, Circle D 3C, Open Downpipe, E85, Rob Williams Tune. Stock Long Block, Stock Trans, Stock Rearend.... Shooting for 9's in 7000' DA.

SVT God
    Most of the time a oil pump fails, it's from bouncing the rev limiter. L&M prefers to set the limiter out of the way. They rather over spin the motor than hit the limiter and cause an oil pump failure. Search GT500's and oil pump failures, they're all from hitting the limiter. Oil does play a role as well.
    2013 Laguna Seca
    2008 GT500 L&M Racing Engines built longblock (sold to forum member)

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I feel a lot better now about not putting billet gears in right away. I will probably hold off until I step up the intake manifold and boost.

Quote Originally Posted by bull3441 View Post
    Most of the time a oil pump fails, it's from bouncing the rev limiter. L&M prefers to set the limiter out of the way. They rather over spin the motor than hit the limiter and cause an oil pump failure. Search GT500's and oil pump failures, they're all from hitting the limiter. Oil does play a role as well.
    excellent information i'm not as worried now about taking my stock coyote to 7500 here and there.. no bouncing of the 7600 bama rpm limit

so does anyone know if they make a billet back plate for it like the gt500? wouldn't it be best to swap both for a pure racing application? maybe the cobra jet doesn't need it but a road race car might (or a nascar type).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast