Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74
  1. #1
    Crazy SVT Poster lx347cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2006
    Location
    Garnet Valley, PA
    Posts
    328

    How much power can these new 5.0 motors handle?

    If you were to put a whipple or turbo on these motors how much can they handle from the stock engine components of course with a proper tune?
    whats the weak link in these motors?

    thanks
    Billet Flow TB and Plenum
    K&N FIPK
    Basani Catback Exhaust
    SCTX3 Custom Tune by Lund
    RR 2.90 upper
    NGK TR6 plugs
    MGW shifter
    Billet Flow IRS Brace

  2. #2
    Getting Blown
    Join Date
    June 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    1,667
    From what I have taken in, it is the rods and pistons that are the weak link as far as rotating assembly goes. The stock oil pump has been known to grenade at high power levels also. There are plenty of us, including myself, that are running around with 600-650 rwhp and we are doing good thus far.
    2012 Mustang GT 600 hp - Sold
    In search of next project....

  3. #3
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    January 2004
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    716
    From what i've been told by Evolution is 600whp is about the limit for being reliable power. Anything further and you're pushing it. On a blower car i'd limit the boost to 9-10psi max and even then you'll be making over 600whp LOL
    1992 5.0 302/aod
    2012 5.0 302/6m

  4. #4
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    104
    I have a new 13 5.0 on order and I am thinking of going with the HPE700 package from Hennessey Performance. They claim like 600 to the tire. I used to own a 94 Viper so I am aware of the horror stories from the past. That being said they warranty the package completely for 3 years/36k miles. With a warranty like that I am inclined to go that route?!? 600 plus to the tire with a warranty? does anyone else offer this? I know of several other shops but no one wants to warranty the 5.0!

  5. #5
    SVT God mysteed's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Location
    Woodstock, Ga
    Posts
    2,910
    Stay as far away from Hennessey as you can. A simple FRPP blower kit would be more than enough power & pretty much any shop should warranty their work (labor) should an issue occur.
    -Nathan
    1988 Notch: M112 V6 conversion in progress
    1995 GT: Mostly stock
    1998 Bright Atlantic Blue Cobra #350: Built motor and suspension work
    Sponsored by: Super Six Motorsports and VMP Tuning

  6. #6
    Mr. Freemod truebluedevil02's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2006
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteed View Post
    Stay as far away from Hennessey as you can. A simple FRPP blower kit would be more than enough power & pretty much any shop should warranty their work (labor) should an issue occur.
    this, and you will probably save several thousand $$ also.
    "A warranty is like your virginity. Once its gone, its really not that big of a deal."

    CURRENT VEHICLE:
    Oxford White 2014 A6 GT
    Old Setup: Black Paxton 2200SL, 11psi, JLT intake, Jegs Cat Deletes, Borla S-types, E85, AED tune, Dark stars 17x4.5 front and 15x10 rear with MT 325 DR's : [email protected] in 7000' DA with a stock converter.
    New Setup: EDP Single Turbo, Precision 7475, TSS Billet OPG's, JPC fuel system, Circle D 3C, Open Downpipe, E85, Rob Williams Tune. Stock Long Block, Stock Trans, Stock Rearend.... Shooting for 9's in 7000' DA.

  7. #7
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by 92hatchlx View Post
    From what I have taken in, it is the rods and pistons that are the weak link as far as rotating assembly goes. The stock oil pump has been known to grenade at high power levels also. There are plenty of us, including myself, that are running around with 600-650 rwhp and we are doing good thus far.
    Shocking, a ford motor with weak rods and pistons!!
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2.3 Fully Built - 11.60 @ 117 Sold
    2012 Grabber Blue GT - AED Tuned, Boss IM, Circle D 4C, Airaid, XPipe, Magnaflow catback, BMR LCAs/Relo Brackets


  8. #8
    Crazy SVT Poster infidel0910's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    319
    I am amazed at how much power you can get out of these new 5.0's reliably and with simple bolt-ons and low boost. Makes me want one that much more.

  9. #9
    SVT God alex12gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Location
    moline, il
    Posts
    2,411
    Currently 600-650 seems to be the limit ive got a roush tvs pushing 575rwhp at 8.5 psi but i just switch ed to a new pulley and am at around 12.5 psi and will have dyno numbers once it cools down

  10. #10
    Crazy SVT Poster RusWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2011
    Location
    Finally back on the East Coast
    Posts
    860
    Anyone knows how much does it cost to upgrade fuel pump gears?

  11. #11
    SVT God alex12gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Location
    moline, il
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
    Anyone knows how much does it cost to upgrade fuel pump gears?
    I think you mean oil pump gears and the gears are 3-400 plus install

  12. #12
    Crazy SVT Poster 2013Boss302's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    redondo beach ca
    Posts
    607
    I know of someone with about 750RWHP on a stock motor.
    2013 SBY Boss 302 #0166
    Recaro/Torsen Diff 3:37 Package
    2011 Grabber Blue RTR Supercharged Sold

  13. #13
    Lateral G Lover seank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteed View Post
    Stay as far away from Hennessey as you can. A simple FRPP blower kit would be more than enough power & pretty much any shop should warranty their work (labor) should an issue occur.
    Link to shops that provide 3 year/ 36k warranties? Not trying to be a dick I've just never come across shops like that, can't say I've looked though as I do all my own work. Do the FRPP or Roush kits have a warranty if they are not installed by a certified dealer?

    Power level vs life will be dependent on how you use the car as well as how you maintain it. Id put money on the guys with twin screw blowers having premature failure before centri and turbo guys because of the instant torque spike off idle. That's pretty much a rod's worst nightmare and that is the weak link in our rotating assembly.
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion....

  14. #14
    Mr. Freemod truebluedevil02's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2006
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011GT310 View Post
    I know of someone with about 750RWHP on a stock motor.
    A lot of people have gone over the 700whp mark and lived to tell about it. one guy on here with a procharger is making around 720whp and has not had any issues that I know of. If you have a good tune and dont spin it to 7500rpm it should live. Unlike most people I am keeping my stock redline. There is no sense in spinning the motor 700rpm higher than stock, that 700rpm makes a HUGE difference in the life span of your rods and pistons when your power gets that high.

  15. #15
    SVT Crazy Poster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by seank View Post

    Power level vs life will be dependent on how you use the car as well as how you maintain it. Id put money on the guys with twin screw blowers having premature failure before centri and turbo guys because of the instant torque spike off idle. That's pretty much a rod's worst nightmare and that is the weak link in our rotating assembly.
    Seems plausible, and very likely..

    As for the warranty, if someplace says they will maintain your full powertrain warranty with a blower install when new, get that in writing, and notarize it too as that's extremely unlikely. If someone truly offers a 3/36 and it's a good running kit, not neutered at 5 psi or something, go for it.

  16. #16
    SVT God
    Join Date
    April 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by seank View Post
    Link to shops that provide 3 year/ 36k warranties? Not trying to be a dick I've just never come across shops like that, can't say I've looked though as I do all my own work. Do the FRPP or Roush kits have a warranty if they are not installed by a certified dealer?

    Power level vs life will be dependent on how you use the car as well as how you maintain it. Id put money on the guys with twin screw blowers having premature failure before centri and turbo guys because of the instant torque spike off idle. That's pretty much a rod's worst nightmare and that is the weak link in our rotating assembly.
    Yep, and a single stage nitrous kit surely isn't going to be very friendly on a stock shortblock either.

  17. #17
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by alex12gt View Post
    Currently 600-650 seems to be the limit ive got a roush tvs pushing 575rwhp at 8.5 psi but i just switch ed to a new pulley and am at around 12.5 psi and will have dyno numbers once it cools down
    What size pulley did you get? Stock airbox?

  18. #18
    SVT God D.T.R's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    3,615
    Quote Originally Posted by RMoore92 View Post
    Shocking, a ford motor with weak rods and pistons!!
    How are the rods and pistons weak when they withstand 600whp for a while?
    I think you're forgetting that the motor was designed to run at 412hp ... they didn't design the motor hoping that some guy would dump $10k worth of mods, and push another 300whp worth of extra stress on top of this motor.
    9.5:1 Aluminator
    Hellion TT kit
    JPC's triple 465 fuel system
    Supporting mods.
    950whp/825wtq @ 16psi~ (Gulf 116)
    675whp/585wtq @ 9psi~ (pump93)
    9.5@147mph @ 15psi.

  19. #19
    Lateral G Lover seank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by D.T.R View Post
    How are the rods and pistons weak when they withstand 600whp for a while?
    I think you're forgetting that the motor was designed to run at 412hp ... they didn't design the motor hoping that some guy would dump $10k worth of mods, and push another 300whp worth of extra stress on top of this motor.

    The rods were most definitely designed to handle more than 412hp. They probably were designed with a factor of safety of anywhere from 1.5-1.8. You don't sell a piece of machinery already operating at its performance limit. No Ford did not intend for everyone to run out and strap on a major power adder and have the motor survive but there is most definitely room to grow.

  20. #20
    SVT God D.T.R's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    3,615
    Quote Originally Posted by seank View Post
    The rods were most definitely designed to handle more than 412hp. They probably were designed with a factor of safety of anywhere from 1.5-1.8. You don't sell a piece of machinery already operating at its performance limit. No Ford did not intend for everyone to run out and strap on a major power adder and have the motor survive but there is most definitely room to grow.
    I understand your point, of course they're not going to sell a "piece of machinery" already working at it's breaking point... but also you can't expect the motor to withstand 1000whp all day long... that's just not simply what it was designed to do.

  21. #21
    SVT God alex12gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Location
    moline, il
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by RI_2011_GT View Post
    What size pulley did you get? Stock airbox?
    Running the 79mm with jlt

  22. #22
    SVT God sambandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2003
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    6,537
    How much powah? I dunno.... But I plan to find out!
    2012 Roush RS3


  23. #23
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    September 2011
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    Posts
    639
    People talk about the rods being weak, how many have actually seen them break on a 5.0?

    The pistons are another story. the rings seem to break, or the piston just completely falls apart.

    Oil pump gears are also a major cause of failing. Most of the guys running it up to over 700 are using Billet oil pump gears (like myself). Install on those is between 7-900, it is a 10-12 hour job.

    These motors seem to be all about the tuning.
    2011 GT - 6R80 Swapped - Lund Racing TT. Sold to Ken Bjonnes @ Lund Racing

  24. #24
    SVT God D.T.R's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    3,615
    Twin turbo + short block + oil pump = do it all at once. At least, that's my plan lol

  25. #25
    Lateral G Lover seank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011redcandy View Post
    People talk about the rods being weak, how many have actually seen them break on a 5.0?

    The pistons are another story. the rings seem to break, or the piston just completely falls apart.

    Oil pump gears are also a major cause of failing. Most of the guys running it up to over 700 are using Billet oil pump gears (like myself). Install on those is between 7-900, it is a 10-12 hour job.

    These motors seem to be all about the tuning.
    I've only seen a couple guys who did the rods in but I'd believe what the coyote engineers said, when they stated they were the weakest link. Why lie about such a thing?

    Were the pistons actually the problem or was it crap rings or broken valves that beat up the piston after being reved too high?

    In reference to the oil pump gears. How many reported failures are there and at what power levels and driving conditions? I have not looked into this at all. Are guys just blindly replacing them because they are plastic and they already have their block apart or are there lots of failures that have happened?

    The tuning comment is blatantly obvious. You can build up the the best long block with the best parts and have it put together by the best builder. If you install it and have Jon Doe of backyard tuning calibrate the thing you are setting yourself up for failure.

    On ANY engine tuning is what keeps you on the road and not cursing in the garage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •