Crazy SVT Poster

NA 4.6L 3V vs. NA 4.6L 4v

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm trying to decide which engine to drop into my classic mustang and I need some help deciding. Although i would like to install a new coyote, that is out of the question at this time. My question is, what would make more NA power with simple bolt ons? A 2001 cobra engine or a 2005 mustang gt engine?

I dont want to use after market cams or boost. I just want something reliable and efficient for daily use. I cannot run long tubes because they won't fit. Shorties might, but not long tubes. I would rather not port the heads, unless they would benefit from some light porting that I could do, maybe just to clean up the ports a bit. Stock cams. I would definitely port the cobra intake but keep stock length runners. I would use the ford racing 3v intake as long as it clears the hood.

I already have an engine, transmission, harness and computer from a 2001 cobra. But if a 3V will have more NA potential, then I'll go that route instead. So what do you guys think?

SVT God
    Get the 4v. It will also have a better exhaust note that is more in line with a 'classic' car.

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech kevinatfms's Avatar
    i would go with the 3v since you can install 127200 cams(100% streetable, no tune required) with stock valve springs and heads with the FRPP intake and pick up huge gains without a ton of cost. the 4v heads flow more in the end but you can tune a 3v to produce some pretty good numbers and total cost may be less with the 3v if you can find a cheap junkyard motor. ported 3v heads with stock cams/valves have shown just about the same flow numbers as lightly ported 4v heads.

i put the whp numbers as you would find in a s197 GT mustang...

budget streetable build(330-350whp):
    stock shortblock at 9.8:1 compression
    frpp ported heads
    127200 cams
    frpp manifold
    62mm throttle body
    short tube headers
    e-water pump & UD crank pulley

ultimate 3v budget engine build and my current build(hoping for 400-430whp):
    11.1 pistons
    h beams
    stock crank 6 bolt
    c&l intake manifold
    62mm throttle body
    stage 3 port livernois heads (320cfm intake)
    comp 127600 cams & beehive valve springs
    VCT lockouts or limiters depending on tuner
    melling oil pump
    EH2O pump & UD crank pulley
    long tube headers
    arp 2000 studs
    8qt canton pan

i dont know but maybe another forum member could list the available parts and whp approx. numbers for a 4v build? i would guess both are about equal with the 4v probably being easier to tune but more expensive if you start getting into the cylinder heads.

what type of car is this going into? kit car?

EDIT: i see you already have the 01 cobra drivetrain.....just swap it as is since you have everything needed and no additional costs will be needed to sell the drivetrain just to buy up a 3v swap.
    Last edited by kevinatfms; 08-01-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    FORD CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN 2004-2011
    KIA/HYUNDAI GDS4 TECHNICIAN 2004-2007

Current:
    (68k miles) 2005 GT H/C/I + nitrous
    (104k miles) 1989 GT 302 + built AOD + 3k stall+ nitrous
    (150k miles) 2003 Elantra bolt-ons + nitrous

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro_94 View Post
    Dont hate the sprayer hate the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double"O" View Post
    The first rule of hookers is to not bring them onto you property
    the second rule is always cocaine...not heroin.

Since you already have the 01 Cobra stuff, go ahead and use that.

Now, just for the sake of discussion... if I were to start from scratch, I would probably use a 3V in an N/A application. In my experience, they both make very similar power until you really open up the heads or add a bunch of boost. Even at low-boost levels, they are very comparable. I like that the 3V takes up less space underhood, and they are easier to work on... not only because of the space, but I like the intake manifold/cooling system layout, and the SOHC layout is just a bit easier. Aftermarket cams would be dirt cheap compared to a 4V. I also LOVE the sound of a cammed 3V!!!

It's a piece of cake to get a 3V or a 3V over 320 rwhp with just simple bolt-ons. But having said all of that, I'd use the 01 Cobra stuff just because you already have it.
    Derrick
    Black 1987 Mustang LX 5.0 - pretty much stock currently restoring
    Silver 2000 Lightning - #1,317 of 4,966 born 3/20/00 just sold

SVT God
    What type of 'classic' Mustang is this exactly? These pictures that I snapped from a '69 a few months ago might give you some ideas. The motor was a 4V from a pre-99 Cobra.

Insane SVT Poster
    Too bad you didn't have an 03/04 Mach 1 4v. That would be a hands down choice for me over the 3v. Being an 01 though you do benefit from the revised intake manifold which made the 99 a major disappointment under 3k RPM's. You've got the 01 so I would just stick with it. You said you're not going to build it at all so really why would you spend more money to buy a 3v? 4v's are really an amazing motor and with the giant heads it makes it look like you have more motor under the hood than you really do!
    Man law: you cannot have more kids than toys. If you can't afford both, sell the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by IronSnake View Post
    ...The amount of people that say "oh wow, it's a real cobra?" surprises me. Apparently I drive a mythical unicorn

99 Cobra - Rio Red - Rear Ended and Totalled
    03 Cobra Coupe - Redfire - Sold
    03 Mach 1 - Azure Blue - Sold

66 Mustang Coupe - GTS Blue - 302 4spd
    06 Harley Davidson Street Bob - Denim Black

Don't shy away from cams! They can be streetable in n/a applications as long as you don't go nuts.

The benefit of the 3v is the aftermarket support from FFRP. The cams, ported heads and the nice aftermarket intake available.

The 4.6 DOHC is very limited in aftermarket intakes. Realistically your best option is to make the 01 Cobra intake into a short runner. A short runner with an intake spacer can net a decent amount of power and extend the power band. C heads from the 01 Cobra are decent but the 03-04 Cobra/Mach 1 heads are better. However, once you port the two there is little difference in performance.

You can easily make 370+rwhp with a cammed 01 Cobra engine and have it be streetable. With a short runner, touched up heads and cams you might even be able to break 400rwhp with the stock rotating assembly. The 3v is a good performer but it is still just a little behind the 4v. Seeing as how you already have the 4v I would stick with that.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Thanks guys. The engine is going into a 69 mustang. I love the heads and cam covers look on the 4v, but I hate the way the intake looks with the throttle body to the side. I like the intake on the 3v because it's tall and the TB is in the center, which would allow be to make a custom intake tube with two inlets(and filters) merging at the throttle body. I do want the car to sound different from other classics and I think the 3v has a unique sound to it. I don't mind having to buy a new drivetrain as I can sell the cobra and itll cover the drivetrain from a sn197. The size difference is also something to consider because the 4v requires me to move the master cylinder about an inch closer to the fender to avoid hitting the cam cover. The 3v might clear with it's narrower heads. By the way, will a tr3650 bolt up to the 3v?

Here's a link to a 67 with a 3V engine...Does This Qualify as Modified? - Vintage Mustang Forums

Here's a link to a 4V...1965 Ford Mustang Fastback Modular Terminator Cobra Engine Swap - Modified Mustangs & Fords

yep, any transmission that bolts to a 2V or 4V will bolt to a 3V. the S197 3V's use that weird transmission due to the chassis, not the motor.

Also, be careful with that split inlet idea on the 3V. You'd have to do some tricky ecu work to get two MAF's to work together. I've seen it done on other cars with different engines, but I'm sure it'd be a chore.

Crazy SVT Poster
    Oh ok. I was hoping I could use one maf and merge the intake before the maf. I'm not sure if the maf has to be a specific distance away from the throttle body though.

such emo very befe wow ford_racer's Avatar
    3Vs sound better.
    such signature
    very
    internets

wow
    so
    clever
    give inturnets here plez

Quote Originally Posted by CSD View Post
    guns you don't need

either motor you use would be sweet in a classic if you ask me.
    2004 white mach1 391rwhp
    2001 ford lightning 420 rwhp
    2011 Mitsubishi evolution GSR 686 awhp RG, 550 awhp on 93

Crazy SVT Poster
    Drive by wire on the 3v might be make or break. I hate it

Banned
    I honestly think a Head, cam, intake 2v is > 3v or 4v NA

such emo very befe wow ford_racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXGadfly09Xx View Post
    I honestly think a Head, cam, intake 2v is > 3v or 4v NA
    That's because you don't know what you're talking about.

Don't mess with Teksids 32ValveRom's Avatar
    4v

Im very partial to the 4V myself. The 3V do perform well but they can cost just as much as the 4Vs.

New SVT Poster
    i have a mustang gt 2000 full swap 4.6 3v (engine, ECU, harness, cluster)... its really fast.

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
    Go with the 4V since you already have it. The 4v are great motors and have good top end.
    1999 Trans Am, M6, SLP lid, 4.10
    1966 Pontiac Bonneville, 389 CI cruiser
    1993 Lincoln Mark VIII, Tuned 4V 4.6L DD

Txyaloo scares me
    Quote Originally Posted by Roybennington View Post
    i have a mustang gt 2000 full swap 4.6 3v (engine, ECU, harness, cluster)... its really fast.
    So you joined a year ago and this is you first post...bumping a 4 month old thread?
    99 Rio Red Cobra