Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Crazy SVT Poster krman68's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2002
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    279

    13 Boss LS -power adder

    My brother in law is in the process of buying a new 13 Boss LS. He has significant track time in a 70 Boss So he knows how to drive on track. With the 13 he is considering a SC to be installed at the dealer prior to delivery. Personally I would get the car, then decide if you need another 200 hp.

    Has anyone added a SC to their Boss? If so what were the upsides and what were the downsides? How about hood clearance? Any need to change the grille for increased airflow?

    Any info would be great

    thanks
    Jack

    68 Lime Gold Shelby GT500 KR
    13 Deep Impact Blue Shelby GT500

  2. #2
    DIT 13COBRA's Avatar
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,041
    A lot of the guys that have gone away from the n/a coyote in the Boss have gone the Hellion TT kit..

    I'm not sure the reason...but this way you get to keep the Boss Manifold looking pretty on the engine.
    CURRENT:
    2015 Ford F-150 (In Transit)
    2014 GT500 SVTPP



    PAST:
    2014 Raptor
    2008 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2003 Honda CBR954RR
    2013 GT500
    2008 GT500
    2008 Bullitt
    2008 GT/CS
    2004 Terminator
    2004 Lightning
    2005 Mustang GT

  3. #3
    Insane SVT Poster 86Fbody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Crofton, MD
    Posts
    1,293
    I would suggest getting the car and then deciding what it needs. I bet he would be surprised that it handles it's own without the need for power adders.

  4. #4
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Location
    Savannah. GA
    Posts
    1,135
    Get it. Drive it. Then add boost

    Personally I have a twin turbo'd '13 boss non LS

    Smile on my face everytime I drive it before the twins.

    Now you can't smack the smile off my face with a sledge hammer!

  5. #5
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    July 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    352
    I put down around 575 RWHP @ 11 PSI with the following:

    Boss 302 (Non LS) in Performance White
    Whipple 2.3 supercharger
    3.0 pulley
    JLT Big Air 127mm + JLT Oil Separator
    Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body
    47lb injectors
    Kenne Bell BAP
    Stock Exhaust
    12 degrees timing (maxed)
    ~11.8 AF ratio
    91 octane

    No cooling mods -- stock heat exchanger that came with the FRPP kit. It was pulling timing at 100 degrees for inlet temps so I am getting the AFCO dual pass next, along with the extreme duty radiator and Boss 302S race hood.

    We're adding full Kooks exhaust including side pipes next -- should keep us at around 10 PSI total and around 600 rwhp.

    The car feels so raw, even with Boost. It's INCREDIBLE.

    Getting around 22 mpg on the highway, too.

    We're going to be adding a 16 PSI pulley + E85 tune next. Hoping to hit 800 rwhp that way. Once power is figured out we'll add some suspension -- so far only have done control arms lower/upper in the rear (billet) from FRPP and Steeda. No wheel hop though -- but the stock springs are super floaty so we're going full coil overs
    Last edited by guarnibl; 12-22-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    2013 Boss 302 Performance White 600 RWHP @ 10 PSI #1587.
    2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Lux
    2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S 700 HP R888's
    2009 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Supercharged on 40's.
    2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel

    (Sold) 2003 GT Dark Mineral Gray 385 HP.
    (Sold) 2011 Nissan GT-R
    (Sold) 2008 E93 M3
    (Sold) 2004 E46 M3

  6. #6
    Authorized Vendor
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,841
    a black vortech kit looks super sweet under the hood.

    A polished paxton would not be bad either.

    All can be had for much less than any of the other kits as well.
    PAXTON / VORTECH TUNER KIT and ID1000 Package $4963.99 SHIPPED!!!!!!!!!
    If you don't see it on the site, call!!!!

    Black Friday Specials
    BMR 15% off and free shipping - code bmr15
    Fore Level 2-4 Fuel systems - $100 off - code fore100
    Stainless Works Cat Backs - extra 10% off our discount - code - sw10
    Pypes - Beginning 11/26 - No coupon needed
    Race Stars - No Coupon Needed!
    www.teambeefcakeracing.com

    Pay Pal Bill Me Later Available

  7. #7
    C6Z06 to Boss 302 IamRacerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    870
    Imo. Road racing and adding a blower or turbo to a na motor don't usually mix well. I would think long and hard before adding forced induction to a car that will be road raced. I have heard of some cooling issues with the forced induction cars under hot and extreme conditions.
    Racer X
    13' Boss 302
    Vossen CV3, Sportlines, BMR goodies too

  8. #8
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    June 2011
    Location
    Godwin, NC
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
    I put down around 575 RWHP @ 11 PSI with the following:

    Boss 302 (Non LS) in Performance White
    Whipple 2.3 supercharger
    3.0 pulley
    JLT Big Air 127mm + JLT Oil Separator
    Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body
    47lb injectors
    Kenne Bell BAP
    Stock Exhaust
    12 degrees timing (maxed)
    ~11.8 AF ratio
    91 octane

    No cooling mods -- stock heat exchanger that came with the FRPP kit. It was pulling timing at 100 degrees for inlet temps so I am getting the AFCO dual pass next, along with the extreme duty radiator and Boss 302S race hood.

    We're adding full Kooks exhaust including side pipes next -- should keep us at around 10 PSI total and around 600 rwhp.

    The car feels so raw, even with Boost. It's INCREDIBLE.

    Getting around 22 mpg on the highway, too.

    We're going to be adding a 16 PSI pulley + E85 tune next. Hoping to hit 800 rwhp that way. Once power is figured out we'll add some suspension -- so far only have done control arms lower/upper in the rear (billet) from FRPP and Steeda. No wheel hop though -- but the stock springs are super floaty so we're going full coil overs

    Who's tuning your car? 575 at 11lbs of boost is pretty weak if you ask me plus isn't a 3.00 pulley good for 12psi? With the 3.25 pulley I made 605RWHP at 10lbs. Just curious.

    I've been contemplating putting a Paxton on the Boss but under extreme heat during racing I can see becoming a problem.

  9. #9
    Crazy SVT Poster Grant808's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2008
    Location
    Honolulu -> SoCal
    Posts
    961
    In before TXPD...

    I'd suggest waiting...and also suggest NOT having it installed by the dealer, unless they are going to maintain the warrantee since they did it. And who would be doing the tune?

    As for the heat exchange issues...I guess it depends what he's going to use the car for.
    Last edited by Grant808; 12-25-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Black '00 GT + Kona Blue '11 Brembo GT + Oxford '14 Explorer + Comp Orange '12 Boss #1905
    Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    You really think your RoadRunner is something special because it can turn a few hundres RPM more than a Coyote, and about 1K more than a GT500?
    Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    You've said enough. This post alone tells me how little you actually understand about lubrication technology. There is no need for me to entertain your trolling and lack of understanding any longer in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
    I'd bet everything in my bank account, which is significant, on this bet....


  10. #10
    Crazy SVT Poster kbroush's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    Sioux City, IA
    Posts
    554
    I would suggest waiting too. I wanted a supercharger for my boss but I am happy with the power it has NA. I would love more power but I do like how balanced the car is. I was looking at a procharger, then I could keep the good looking boss intake and high rpm characteristics. The Vortech and Paxton kits are really good too.
    2013 Boss 302 #0822 GHIG
    Eibach pro-kit springs
    Whiteline watts link, uca, lca and relocation brackets

  11. #11
    Crazy SVT Poster LostPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 2012
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    Posts
    265
    I know the 12 cars had cooling issues without a blower but haven't heard yet if the 13s are having similar issues. I would wait to do a blower on one. Besides that, sticky rubber and good brake pads will have you running down most anything out there with a good driver behind the wheel. Even on stock rubber and a decent street pad I can run down most Vettes at our little track. I just have to keep an eye out for those pesky modded Porsches and Z06s.


    '12 Boss 302 Kona Blue#2758
    FRPP "T" Springs, LS brake ducts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    well if you come to smackdown for a logical discussion then you must drive a 5.0

  12. #12
    Camaro5's Most Wanted thePill's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2011
    Location
    East of Pittsburgh, Johnstown PA
    Posts
    1,264
    Twin Turbo or Procharger, you can use the Boss intake with those options.

  13. #13
    Authorized Vendor
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by thePill View Post
    Twin Turbo or Procharger, you can use the Boss intake with those options.
    or paxton, or vortech.....
    which are

    less expensive, more power potential, better intercooler, better air box placement, less crank stress....

    just a few of the advantages of the paxton / vortech setups we sell

  14. #14
    Hard Core Car Whore
    Join Date
    February 2004
    Location
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Posts
    835
    Rather than make a seperate thread, maybe I can ask here since its all relevant.

    I got my 2013 boss after sellign my 775rwhp Mach 1...I miss the power, but LOVE the handling and all around deemanor of the car, yet I still crave more power...

    Whats the limits you can push these roadrunners to powerwise, and what kits get you there?(i.e Paxton makes x, vortech makes y, and so on.)
    Also, what else needs upgraded to add the blower? I was all in on the Mach, i know the Boss can take more before needing a complete build...

    Thanks

  15. #15
    Authorized Vendor
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
    Rather than make a seperate thread, maybe I can ask here since its all relevant.

    I got my 2013 boss after sellign my 775rwhp Mach 1...I miss the power, but LOVE the handling and all around deemanor of the car, yet I still crave more power...

    Whats the limits you can push these roadrunners to powerwise, and what kits get you there?(i.e Paxton makes x, vortech makes y, and so on.)
    Also, what else needs upgraded to add the blower? I was all in on the Mach, i know the Boss can take more before needing a complete build...

    Thanks
    Paxton and Vortech are essentially the same, other than the head unit. The Paxton hands down, is the best bang for the buck power / dollar wise than anything else out there.

    It will outperform every other entry level supercharger kits, and even most upgraded supercharger kits.

    I have probably 30-40 guys, just on SVTP running the paxton / vortech kits, with excellent results.

    My personal car has been 9.03 @ 154.55 @ 3850lbs.

    We will be adding a kit to the Boss over the winter as well. I'm still debating the black Vortech kit, or the competition kit (basically what I have now) for the boss.

  16. #16
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    July 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
    Who's tuning your car? 575 at 11lbs of boost is pretty weak if you ask me plus isn't a 3.00 pulley good for 12psi? With the 3.25 pulley I made 605RWHP at 10lbs. Just curious.

    I've been contemplating putting a Paxton on the Boss but under extreme heat during racing I can see becoming a problem.
    Those numbers were on a superflow which consistently reports a lot less than a dynojet. So probably much higher. Comp auto is tuning me. It's a really really safe tune and only hitting 12 degrees. 91 pump gas and it hit 11.5 psi. The car feels more like 650 rwhp to be honest. Our dyno runs were only third gear pulls too.

  17. #17
    Insane SVT Poster darreng505's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by IamRacerX View Post
    Imo. Road racing and adding a blower or turbo to a na motor don't usually mix well. I would think long and hard before adding forced induction to a car that will be road raced. I have heard of some cooling issues with the forced induction cars under hot and extreme conditions.
    Hi,
    I'm interested in this comment. Is it just your opinion or is there some information about forced induction in road race cars? Just looking for info on this as I am planning on a procharger for my AIX boss build, but also will rebuild the motor to support it. Not just slap a power-adder on. hehe.

    And increased cooling is necessary depending on boost levels. Ignoring cooling on SC'd or turbo'd cars will always end poorly.

    D

  18. #18
    Crazy SVT Poster Para81's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Navarre Beach, FL
    Posts
    660
    I wouldn't put forced induction in this car if you paid me to do it.
    2013 FORD BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA
    2005 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA S
    2004 JAGUAR XJ8 VANDEN PLAS (Wife's Car)
    2008 SHELBY GT500 (Sold)

  19. #19
    Authorized Vendor
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Para81 View Post
    I wouldn't put forced induction in this car if you paid me to do it.
    thats just silly,

    this car is begging for boost,

    especially if your paid to do it!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •