Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The future of Shelby? SVT Cobra in 2015?

What are your thoughts on this? Ive heard at Cars & Coffee that SVT will bring back the Cobra name in 2015. I write that off as speculation/rumors, but I have heard it mentioned recently from 3 separate individuals. It could be wishful thinking, but it is thought provoking.

2015 SVT Cobra, 700 HP out of a Twin Turbo 6.2?

If ford shed the Shelby name from their main line I feel like it would improve drastically
    PROUD MACA MEMBER #663
    IG: usmcsvtwannabe GO FOLLOW

Quote Originally Posted by James Snover View Post
    When Lightning Larry asks a question, you answer the question.

Premium Member
    Not gonna happen.
    CURRENT:
    2015 Ford F-150 (Stuck at the freaking ramp-- Area 51)
    2014 GT500 SVTPP

PAST:
    2014 Raptor
    2008 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2003 Honda CBR954RR
    2013 GT500
    2008 GT500
    2008 Bullitt
    2008 GT/CS
    2004 Terminator
    2004 Lightning
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by usmcsvtwannabe View Post
    If ford shed the Shelby name from their main line I feel like it would improve drastically
    Yep. I'd rather not have a scam artist's name on the side of my Mustang. I'd love to have the Cobra name come back.
    1st Gen Ram, 6BT, 4x4, NV4500, 350K+ miles
    Mods: 31s, "Think fast hippie" sticker, Colt 1911, Smith Enterprise M14, B&W hitch.

2004 Mustang

RING RING BANANA PHONE! BlueSnake01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    Not gonna happen.
    Why wouldn't it? I would say the main reason why they brought back the Shelby to the S197 was because it was homage to the older Mustangs. Bringing in a whole new Mustang platform and keeping the Shelby would make no sense.

With John Coletti gone, the Cobra name won't be the same anymore anyways.
    2001 Ford Mustang Cobra True Blue
    - 03 Cobra Conversion, 2.8 Metco Pulley, Metco Idler Pulleys, Ported TB and Plenum, Catted Mac X-pipe, Flowmaster's 1 Chamber Race Mufflers, K&N FIPK2 Intake, SCT XCAL 2 Tuning -

2009 BMW 335i Jet Black Sports Package
    - BMS DCI, Hellst XRT H8, BMS JB4 G5 ISO Map 5 -

Crazy SVT Poster
    Bring back the SVT Cobra!
    2013 GT500 - Toy #1
    1989 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe - Toy #2
    2003 SVT Cobra - 2.8KB, Supporting Mods, 656rwhp 560lbft Mo's Speed Shop Built -Sold to RDRUNNR

SVT needs a Ralph Giles equivelant

Quote Originally Posted by VictorySong View Post
    Yep. I'd rather not have a scam artist's name on the side of my Mustang. I'd love to have the Cobra name come back.
    Um... Shelby is the reason we had Cobras. He's also the reason the Mustang isn't a "secratary's car". Not to mention the man that inspired the Viper. Now could you reference him being a scam artist? I'd love to read about it. Seriously.
    Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine...
    2003 Centennial Edition Mustang GT Auto Vert Build Date: 03/14/2003
    Power: Fenderwell Intake, 75mm Throttle Body, Intake Plenum, SCT Tuner, Flowmasters
    Suspension: Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, H&R Super Sport Springs, SR Performance Caster-Camber plates
    Cosmetics: Mach 1 chin spoiler, grille delete, staggered Bullitts, tinted windows

Past toys: '02 Wrangler, '01 Z06, '94 Lightning, '97 Cobra, '03 Cobra. And many other DD/slow cars...

if they move past the retro look then there is no need for a retro throwback name either imo. Carroll Shelby is one of the most important part's of mustang history, but his name should not be placed on every top of the line mustang produced... Since the gt500's have been back for almost a decade now I think the SVT cobra badging would be a welcomed refresh.
    2003 Torch Red 10th Anniversary Vert
    Born 6/2/2003
    #4092 of 5082
    #13 of 2003 anniversary editions
    mods so far: Magnaflow catback and a K&N airfilter

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Ghost View Post
    Um... Shelby is the reason we had Cobras. He's also the reason the Mustang isn't a "secratary's car". Not to mention the man that inspired the Viper. Now could you reference him being a scam artist? I'd love to read about it. Seriously.
    Derp his history of "finding" original Cobras at his shop and suing the shit out of anyone and everyone is well known. The great performing mustangs were made by ford itself with the K-Code 289s, Boss 429, 351, and 302 cars. The Shelby 428 cars were ****ing dogs from the factory. Ford got the Cobra name due to Shelby's ignorance of copyright laws.

ETA: Almost forgot, he also screwed customers on the Shelby Series 1.
    Last edited by VictorySong; 03-28-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Not to poke anyone but one of the most feared mustangs even to this day had nothing to do with the Shelby name....03-04 COBRA

It'll happen if Ford's customers want it to happen.

I'd like to see an SVT Cobra come back. The Shelby name made its return, now that Shelby has passed on I hope Ford will get back to SVT.

There was an article in the SVTOA magazine on how SVT all but died in its exclusivity. It used to be when buying a SVT car or having it serviced there were special sales people and techs who were at the dealership. The dealership had to be a SVT dealer member or pay an increased fee to sell a SVT car. With the new One Ford program that Ford is doing this idea didn't fit the mold. I'm surprised SVT is still being badged on vehicles like the Raptor. SVT has been watered down to so much its barely there. Everything is umbrellaed under Ford Racing now, there's no more SVT phone line, SVT trained techs, or sales people. The know-nothing off the street salesman now has the right to sell you a Fiesta or a GT500. It was nice to go to the dealer back when you felt like you were going to be taken care of better if you had a SVT. You were given a loaner car free of charge which doesn't always happen now.

In short I'd like to see SVT come back and be elevated to a status such as that of BMW M, or AMG. If your driving a SVT you're an enthusiast and should be treated better than the soccer mom who gets her oil changed at Wal-Mart.

Shelf the Shelby name. Let it go out as the 600hp beast it is. Top it in 2015, the Shelbys in the 60s and 70s didnt last long at the top as already referenced by the cars in this thread. Bring back the Cobra name plate so there can be a limited R run again. Make the new Cobra R based off the Boss 302R that is barely street legal and doesn't conform to the series requirements.

IMO the only reason Ford produces the 6.2L is for the Super Duty base engine. With the performance they are getting from their more 'hi tech engines' (3.5L, 3.7L, 5.0L) they should stick with one of those or develop a 5.8L-351ci with the same tech. The 351 is pretty synonymous with the Mach so maybe they bring that back as a top level 'drag car' and make a limited run Boss 351 for the twisties.
    Last edited by Rotzs99; 03-28-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    08 G8 GT
    99 Cobra Vert - Mothballed
    01 Cobra Coupe - Sold

and i should be able to get a Handy J when while waiting to get my oil changed! Hell yeah brad couldnt agree more!
    2001 MMR Powered Eaton Cobra

99 SVT Cobra
    I'd love to see the SVT Cobra nameplate come back.
    1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - 4.6L DOHC Modular V8 - 320HP, 317TQ
    Born on 5/27/99, Dearborn Assembly Plant, #3024 of 4040 coupes

| FRPP | MGW | JLT | Magnaflow | Sumitomo | SLP | PA Racing | MMR |
    |Maximum Motorsports | Moroso | Steeda | Russell | Bilstein | Power Stop |

Quote Originally Posted by D's01Snake View Post
    and i should be able to get a Handy J when while waiting to get my oil changed! Hell yeah brad couldnt agree more!

F-Yeah for Handys!

Or

Handys by Soccer Moms!...that's a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotzs99 View Post
    Shelf the Shelby name. Let it go out as the 600hp beast it is. Top it in 2015, the Shelbys in the 60s and 70s didnt last long at the top as already referenced by the cars in this thread. Bring back the Cobra name plate so there can be a limited R run again. Make the new Cobra R based off the Boss 302R that is barely street legal and doesn't conform to the series requirements.

IMO the only reason Ford produces the 6.2L is for the Super Duty base engine. With the performance they are getting from their more 'hi tech engines' (3.5L, 3.7L, 5.0L) they should stick with one of those or develop a 5.8L-351ci with the same tech. The 351 is pretty synonymous with the Mach so maybe they bring that back as a top level 'drag car' and make a limited run Boss 351 for the twisties.
    Direct injection would make a 351 based on todays 5.0 DOHC a monster. I wont be buying a new mustang for another 5 years at this point in life but when I do I plan on getting the top of the line motor.
    Mods-Griggs coil overs 4 corners, griggs caster camber kit, Koni shocks/struts, Griggs tubular k-member/tubular a-arms, 2x4 steel boxed framerails cut and welded into the length of the body, 4 point roll bar, Battle Boxes, Currie johnny joint rear upper control arms, griggs lower control arms, Kenny Brown rear shock tower brace, NA SVT shortrunner intake, IMRC deletes, BBK longtube headers and O/R H-pipe, SLP powerflo catback, FRPP aluminum driveshafts, Centerforce dual friction clutch, C&L cold air intake/K&N, pro 5.0 shifter, rear seat delete, stalker side skirts, boss shinoda wing, rear mounted battery moroso kit, chrome terminator wheels

tuned by Horsepower By Hermann!

Proud Member of MACA (Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association)

Wont happen.

Ford makes too much money with the Shelby moniker than without. Dealers would hate going back to having SVT's sit around the lot and barely being able to sell them at invoice when theyre used to old geriatrics buying up Shelby's for sticker price.

2010 Fusion SE | 6spd Auto | Stock-ish as hell | The DD | 8K HIDs |

2003 Redfire Cobra | 448wp/435wtq | 2.93" Upper / Stock Lower | bunch of other stuff | SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    The cosmos is also within us; we're made of star stuff. We are a way, for the cosmos, to know itself.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcsvtwannabe View Post
    That doesn't make a lick of sense.

2003 DSG Cobra Coupe
    2.3L Whipple, full MM suspension
    575 rwhp/499 rwtq
    2007 Tungsten Grey Shelby GT500 Coupe
    Eaton upper only car. HRE.
    545rwhp/530rwtq
    2013 Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by VictorySong View Post
    LOL at this statement, are you serial?
    Have a nice day.

'03 SC Mach 485hp.................Sold
    '00 Ported Lightning 445hp.......Sold
    '12 GB 5.0 GT Premium 6??hp .................Hello

Magical Boss manifold, HEMI spark plugs 3 stages colder, Kooks stainless 1 3/4" LT headers, Kooks 3" catless stainless X pipe, JPC resonator deletes, JPC polished stainless racing mufflers, Barton shifter, JPC clutch line, Billet urethane engine mounts, H&R super sport springs (front), Eibach pro series (rear), adjustable panhard bar, Metco LCAs, Metco ICM brackets, 19x9.5 charcoal AMRs, Michelin Pilot sport AS3 285/40/19, NX Express plate system (100 shot), 373 gears, Paxton satin 2200, Injector Dynamics ID1000's, JLT big air intake, Vortech Maxflow fuel pump booster, Air to Air charge cooler, Tial 50mm Race BOV. Custom tuned by JPC Performance. No track times or dyno numbers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWon00 View Post
    I'd like to see an SVT Cobra come back. The Shelby name made its return, now that Shelby has passed on I hope Ford will get back to SVT.

There was an article in the SVTOA magazine on how SVT all but died in its exclusivity. It used to be when buying a SVT car or having it serviced there were special sales people and techs who were at the dealership. The dealership had to be a SVT dealer member or pay an increased fee to sell a SVT car. With the new One Ford program that Ford is doing this idea didn't fit the mold. I'm surprised SVT is still being badged on vehicles like the Raptor. SVT has been watered down to so much its barely there. Everything is umbrellaed under Ford Racing now, there's no more SVT phone line, SVT trained techs, or sales people. The know-nothing off the street salesman now has the right to sell you a Fiesta or a GT500. It was nice to go to the dealer back when you felt like you were going to be taken care of better if you had a SVT. You were given a loaner car free of charge which doesn't always happen now.

In short I'd like to see SVT come back and be elevated to a status such as that of BMW M, or AMG. If your driving a SVT you're an enthusiast and should be treated better than the soccer mom who gets her oil changed at Wal-Mart.
    The SVT dealers are still in Canada. You can only get a GT500 through SVT dealers, oddly enough you can get the raptor anywhere.

It mentioned in the SVT 20th anniversary edition MM&FF that ford built the first 93 Cobra's because if they didn't they'd lose the rights to the name Cobra. The Cobra's been gone now for 10 years, I wonder how long it is before they need to use the name before they lose it? Is it 15 years? it must not be very long because ford had the King Cobra's in the late 70's so 93 would be about 15 years.
    2003 Oxford White Cobra, #5676 Purchased Oct 2013 from the original owner with 7474 miles relatively stock..... Currently 2.3L Whipple @ 20psi, E85, Return Fuel System, and Self tuned
    1969 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet
    1937 Ford Coupe 351C 4v, EEC EFI

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra, #3214 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mach-ete View Post
    LOL at this statement, are you serial?
    Carroll Shelby a Ford ICON is dead - Mustang: Boss & Shelby Forum - Blue Oval Forums

Tons of other shit I'm too lazy to look up. Use google buddy.

The Shelby is Cobra, the Cobra name belongs on a two seat roadster. Hopefully to compete with vipers/vettes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast