Rookie SVT Poster

How many quarts of oil?

Hey guys, I just had my first oil change at 600 miles and i was wondering how many quarts of oil were really needed? I know it says 8.5 quarts in the manual but we filled her up with 8.2 and checked the dip stick twice and it was already at max (just below the top hole). Is that fine or should i wait till next morning and check the oil and top it up? (the engine was a bit hot in this 110 degrees weather).

Thanks in advance.

Mine took exactly 8.5, and that put the level dead in the middle of the cross hatches between the holes. Were those US quart bottles? An imperial quart = 1.2 US quarts but that math doesn't add up as you would almost 1 3/4 US quarts over capacity with 8.5 bottles. You, um, also changed the filter, right?

Rookie SVT Poster
    I'm sure its US quart. I just went outside and checked the dipstick a couple of times twice on elevated ground and twice with the car on a flat surface and both times it showed be that the oil was MORE than full i.e. the oil was at if not above the top hole on the stick.
    Bear in mind that i was driving the car hard in 120 degrees weather an hour ago and the car was parked on an incline. Would that be a cause? I'm dead sure we've only put 8.2 quarts.

120 temp will increase the volume of the oil.
    Fill mine with 8.5 and add 1/2 qt more when autocrossing.
    Being slightly over the dipstick fill mark will hurt nothing.
    2013 SBY Boss 302.
    97 Cobra Conv Pacific Grn. one of 365
    00 Mod Corvette, Yellow,
    70 Corvette, Maroon,
    1955 F100 restored

8.5 counting the filter. Makes for an expensive oil change buying 9 quarts of synthetic!
    Justin
    FYI: Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!
    2014 Performance Blue Focus ST3

8.5 quarts with filter but I find the dipstick in this car to be a little tough to read (no dipstick jokes please). :-)

Although I know it's not proper technique I usually check my oil after the car has been sitting for awhile and I can read the stick better.

Rookie SVT Poster
    Well, I just went back to check on the oil after leaving the car on level ground for 30 minutes. The oil level is exactly under the top hole of the dipstick.

I'm just wondering if I should really be concerned about adding that remaining .3 quarts of oil since thats what the manual says.

Quote Originally Posted by GrabberOrange View Post
    Well, I just went back to check on the oil after leaving the car on level ground for 30 minutes. The oil level is exactly under the top hole of the dipstick.

I'm just wondering if I should really be concerned about adding that remaining .3 quarts of oil since thats what the manual says.
    Because of how hot it was when you changed it, you might not have completely gotten all the oil drained, even though you did the filter too.

I would say leave it alone and check it again in a week or so.

This is why I always change my oil when it's cold, IE after it has sat overnight, then I change it in the morning when it is all drained down from the motor into the pan.
    2012 Boss 302 LS # 563
    2000 Cobra R # 76
    1993 Cobra # 2162
    2013 F 150 Extended Cab
    2011 F 350 Worktruck
    2014 Focus SE 5sp

Did you warm up your car before changing the oil in order to lower the viscosity?
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedSuspect View Post
    For over a thousand generations, Terminators were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic before the dark times. Before the Boss manifold

Airaid Parnelli Jones cold air intake - Kooks full exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by GrabberOrange View Post

No, I would not be concerned. That last .3 quarts out of an 8.5 quart fill is just not going to make a significant difference.

I'm with the others who question whether you got all the oil out. But one way or the other I wouldn't worry.

Just changed my oil yesterday, and let it drain for a full hour after letting it idle for a bit to get the oil hot. After filling back up with exactly 8.5 qts, the oil level on the stick was dead on the cross hatch under the top dot. Outside temp was 85F.

Driving like it's my job justthebest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVESVT2000 View Post
    Because of how hot it was when you changed it, you might not have completely gotten all the oil drained, even though you did the filter too.

I would say leave it alone and check it again in a week or so.

This is why I always change my oil when it's cold, IE after it has sat overnight, then I change it in the morning when it is all drained down from the motor into the pan.
    I actually like to do my oil when the engine is warm (hot = hot oil / ouch) - the heat lowers the viscosity and (in my mind) results in more of the old dripping out.
    '14 Raptor