Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 121
  1. #1
    Debt Free but the House!! mustangc's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Posts
    779

    Road & Track: Flat Crank 600hp 5.4 NA GT350

    I just read a new article tonight about the 2015 Mustang. In addition to the base 305 hp V6, optional 350 hp 2.3L Ecoboost I4 and 450 hp 5.0 V8, they claimed information about the GT350: a flat crank V8 revving over 7000 rpm, likely displacing 5.4L, and generating nearly 600 hp. My guess is it would be an enlarged Coyote (maybe a slightly taller deck?).

    Flat crank means that there are 180 degrees between crank throws instead of 90, similar to a 4-cylinder crank. One of the benefits if this design is that no two cylinders on either bank will fire back-to-back. This produces a much different sound, less American thump-thump and more race car like screamer (think Ferrari V8).

    If this is true, I think the Z-28 will soon be meeting its daddy...
    1979 Red Mustang Hatchback - "Bessie" | 1994 Black SVT Cobra - "Nitemare"
    1996 SVT Mystic Cobra - "Mystic" | 2014 Grabber Blue Shelby GT500 - "Grace"

  2. #2
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    September 2011
    Location
    Madisonville, KY
    Posts
    1,189
    Link?

  3. #3
    Now Kaioken...times 10!! ponyboyisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    4,384
    If this is true, I called it a couple months back in another thread lol. I remember saying ford could build a n/a screamer with a high rpm and get 550hp for its next special mustang. Where's my cookie haha.
    2014 Fusion ecoboost 2.0; 2001 Mustang GT Kenne bell powered; 2008 F150 limited awd

    Center exhaust sound clip-------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=156XZ4_mMS8

  4. #4
    The GYROMEISTER
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    San Juan, P.R.
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by paynecasey View Post
    Link?

  5. #5
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    181
    Lighter weight, plus hi-powered N.A. Engine, better weight, IRS, high revving, better interior,.....

    = what he doctor ordered

  6. #6
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    181
    What the doctor ordered

  7. #7
    Crazy SVT Poster GT500-lolz@MPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    419
    600HP NA...? Selling the Ducati for a down payment lol... I will have a GT350 AND GT500... sick sick sick...
    '13 GT500 SGM PP - ARH LT's - Stainless Works - JLT - Lund Tuned
    '12 Ducati Streetfighter S (For Sale! -Dec13- PM ME!)

  8. #8
    Crazy SVT Poster 662HP631TQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2012
    Location
    Brownsville Texas
    Posts
    514
    Inside sources huh? I hope it's true, but nothing really is until we see it. Speculation is just that.

  9. #9
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Huntsville/Center, Tx
    Posts
    206
    I'm just wondering what trans will be in the car... If they stay with the mt-82 I won't be trading my '11 in on one...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by badblackhemi View Post
    I'm just wondering what trans will be in the car... If they stay with the mt-82 I won't be trading my '11 in on one...
    Good point. Hopefully the headaches of the last 3 years have persuaded the S550 team to go a different route (T56?) than the MT-82.

  11. #11
    9secondko
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    480
    I wonder if they will stick with "just" 6 gears...
    ...

  12. #12
    Insane SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    1,243
    give me one with a 6r80
    2011 Mustang base GT auto

    2011+ SVTP Fantasy Football League Champ

  13. #13
    I'm not evil, Trust Me swoosh_stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    3,781
    I would expect a DI 5.4, coyote/roadrunner to be around 530 or so.

    Start with the 444 hp boss engine
    35 hp increase for displacement
    38 hp for the compression increase that direct inject can gain (13:1 or so)
    12 to 15 hp for the added rpm and tuning that direct injection can gain you.


    I think 600 hp N/A out of 5.4 liters is a bit of a stretch.
    Last edited by swoosh_stang; 08-05-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Current: 2013 Black Mustang GT w/ Track pack - Stock
    Previous: 2003 Black 10th Anniversary Vert, 2006 Gray Mustang GT

    It's so nice to finally be back in a Mustang.

  14. #14
    Slower than ever Fenixfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2005
    Location
    ABQ, NM USA
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh_stang View Post
    I would expect a DI 5.4, coyote/roadrunner to be around 530 or so.

    Start with the 444 hp boss engine
    35 hp increase for displacement
    38 hp for the compression increase that direct inject can gain (13:1 or so)
    12 to 15 hp for the added rpm and tuning that direct injection can gain you.


    I think 600 hp N/A out of 5.4 liters is a bit of a stretch.
    With todays tech? I dont think so....... JPC made 507 to the wheels with a coyote with just boltons, a boss intake, mildly ported heads and slightly reground stock cams........
    2003 Azure Blue Mach 1 5spd w/ IUP

    Stay tuned for the new build.......
    Posi eaton powered + 5.0 = never before seen eaton numbers (hopefully)
    July 2014

  15. #15
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    December 2004
    Location
    antioch, ca
    Posts
    297
    As cool as it would be, I'll believe it when I see it.
    69' mach 1, kind of. - Under construction
    04' DSG GT, 6-speed MM everything.... Stolen
    98' Cobra, 498rwhp @15 PSI - Parted out
    00' BAB GT Vert, low + slow - Sold
    04' Black Cobra, 460rwhp - Sold
    03' TR Mach 1 - Sold
    02' Black GT - Sold
    12' Silver GT premium - Brembos, 6 speed manual

  16. #16
    I'm not evil, Trust Me swoosh_stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    3,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixfire View Post
    With todays tech? I dont think so....... JPC made 507 to the wheels with a coyote with just boltons, a boss intake, mildly ported heads and slightly reground stock cams........
    I understand that, but this is going to be a factory engine with all of the reliability and NVH requirements that entails, not a custom modified ported tuned to the ragged edge engine.

  17. #17
    Slower than ever Fenixfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2005
    Location
    ABQ, NM USA
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh_stang View Post
    I understand that, but this is going to be a factory engine with all of the reliability and NVH requirements that entails, not a custom modified ported tuned to the ragged edge engine.
    Lol, it was hardly tuned to the ragged edge. However, we really dont know until Ford finally decides to confirm something about it. Definitely possible tho

  18. #18
    All Motor
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    878
    I really hope this is true

  19. #19
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Huntsville/Center, Tx
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
    Good point. Hopefully the headaches of the last 3 years have persuaded the S550 team to go a different route (T56?) than the MT-82.
    If they go T56, I'll have one as soon as they come out! I know the auto is faster, there's no doubt about it. If i was buying it just for racing I'd get the auto, but my car see's the street 99.99% of the time, and I want to be able to enjoy driving it and rowing the gears.

  20. #20
    I'm not evil, Trust Me swoosh_stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    3,781
    If we're dreaming about transmissions, I would rather have a corvette style, ZF transmission.

  21. #21
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Huntsville/Center, Tx
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh_stang View Post
    If we're dreaming about transmissions, I would rather have a corvette style, ZF transmission.
    lol we can all dream. Atleast the T56 is a feasible option for GT350. Maybe not for all the stangs, but hopefully that one.

  22. #22

  23. #23
    Debt Free but the House!! mustangc's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2009
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by badblackhemi View Post
    If they go T56, I'll have one as soon as they come out! I know the auto is faster, there's no doubt about it. If i was buying it just for racing I'd get the auto, but my car see's the street 99.99% of the time, and I want to be able to enjoy driving it and rowing the gears.
    If it's meant as a road racing beast, the auto would be worthless (unless they do a flappy paddle manumatic). Besides, since when is a slush box faster? Quite a few of the NHRA stock and super stock record holders are stick cars and/or the stick cars are weight penalized to equalize the class.

    Back to the believability of the claims in R&T, I'd be most surprised by a 350 hp EB 2.3. The current 2.0 only makes a tinge over 250 hp in the ST, and the 3.5 only makes 365. There's no way a factory 2.3L EB four will make 350. 315 MAYBE!

    As for the nearly 600 hp NA 5.4, I would be more skeptical if it wasn't for SVT shocking me with their existing Mustang. I could see the GT350 easily settling in the 525-565 hp range. 315-450-565, that's a good model spread...

  24. #24
    most liked on svtp KingBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2004
    Location
    myrtle beach
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangc View Post
    The current 2.0 only makes a tinge over 250 hp in the ST
    on paper

  25. #25
    PSR Major! Devious_Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    9,654
    If its going to sound less like a mustang thats a major no-no to me. But the other benefits of an engine like that along with a lighter better handling chasis could be very popular and successful.
    RIP Mom......11/28/62 - 4/27/13

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •