Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2014 GT500 vs. 2014 Corvette Z51

Edmunds Comparison.

2014 GT500 vs 2014 Corvette z51

Favors the Vette, No surprise there.
    Current Rides:

2010 Ford Raptor (Tuxedo Black)
    2013 Ford GT500(Deep Impact Blue) #340 of 4077, #60 of 530 DIB
    2013 Ford Interceptor (Ingot Silver) (wife's)

Crazy SVT Poster
    Wow...a real shocker they favor the Vette....

12.1 @ 120? Maybe they should take the 800 lbs of concrete out of the trunk and backseat.
    2004 Cobra 2.3 Whipple, E85, Killer Chiller, SRA

They should favor the Vette. I would be disappointed if the new vette platform didn't beat the current mustang and camaro platform. That being said, I do think those numbers for the GT500 were not on par with what has been done in the past, but I still think the outcome would be the same. GT500 greater in the straights (more weight, but a lot more power/tq), and the Vette taking the corners. I don't think anyone is surprised by the interior comments since we all knew the vette would be getting upgraded materials inside

All of that being said, I'd like to see some real world competition from these two cars and I hope they do the same caparison with the ZL1 and/or Z/28 vs the Vette.

Crowley
    587rwhp/577rwtq SAE Corrected - 5/18/2013

I reserve judgement till I eide in a C7

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    They should favor the Vette. I would be disappointed if the new vette platform didn't beat the current mustang and camaro platform. That being said, I do think those numbers for the GT500 were not on par with what has been done in the past, but I still think the outcome would be the same. GT500 greater in the straights (more weight, but a lot more power/tq), and the Vette taking the corners. I don't think anyone is surprised by the interior comments since we all knew the vette would be getting upgraded materials inside

All of that being said, I'd like to see some real world competition from these two cars and I hope they do the same caparison with the ZL1 and/or Z/28 vs the Vette.

Crowley
    RWHP/weight the C7 is down 22-23 % on the 2013 GT500. Isaac Newton says Vette should feel about 12% slower, acceleration wise.

Based on my experience going from a stock 03 Cobra (turd) to an Heaton with pulley and tune,(inconsistent with IAT) then to a Whipple, the best overall power to handling balance was with the pulley and tune. I would never change back as power is so addicting, but the Vette has something the GT500 doesn't have, i.e. balance. ( Like the Boss 302)

Less power is a hard pill to swallow, but that Vette seems like GM did a heck of a nice job. Looks very sharp.
    Better tires form Factory on the Vette also.

Shelby SP Region Director dubbsfaris's Avatar
    Premium Member
    For a true measure of homerism- watch this same yahoo comment through the GTR- Vette comparison with an almost straight face.

"Sure, the GT-R has better numbers, BUT the vette feels so much better".

Winner- Vette?

Huh?!

I like the vette though, and maybe the new ZR1 would be comparable to the GT-R for some of those reasons, but dont pitch me the 55k base model vette over the top of the line GTR.

Sheeeeesh. He should at least be wearing a GM shirt while he does his camera time.
    2014 DIB with Red Stripe GT500, all but glass roof.

2013 Black Explorer Sport, all options.

2013 Black Taurus SHO, all options.

2011 Molten Raptor SCrew, all but moon roof.

2008 Shelby Terlingua

For information on Shelby AND Ford events in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana, feel free to PM me.

I noticed the ground the vette took off on had black marks and looked cleaner. The GT500 took off on dusty road with no rubber on it.....

2006 GT-823rwhp (Turbo'd)
    2013 GT500-614rwhp Stock

Crazy SVT Poster
    Lame review. They toned down the times to fall close to the vette. I like how they ignore the pricy CF stuff then mention the seats as a priced option on the 500. Total bias IMHO

Stingray looks great and preforms like it should. Not going to run to the nearest Stingray dealer and trade my Shelby. Owning the most powerful V-8 ever produced in the world and backed by the Shelby name means something to me.

USAF Chief (Retired)
    Past Hot Rods: 66 GT350, 72 Chevelle SS, 87 Buick GNX , 66 427 Cobra (replica), 09 BMW M3.
    Current rides: 2014 GT500 (Mods so far: Bob's Oil Separator, Redline Hood Struts, Side/Rear Splitters, Custom Car Front Grill Kit, Jaeger Front Guards, 20% Tint, American Muscle Side Marker Film, no power mods...yet), 2012 F-150 Ecoboost, 2012 BMW 528i.

That amount of BS in that article is mind boggling......once again another flawed test.
    RIP Mom......11/28/62 - 4/27/13

Insane SVT Poster IcebourgGT500's Avatar
    Bring it!! I cant wait to run one. I will have a chance to. One of the project guys I work with has a silver coupe on order, Z51, mag ride, and sport seats........
    2014 Shelby GT500 Coupe, BLK/BLK, Perf Pac, Trac Pac, Recaro, No Stripes ( RWHP?? )
    2011 FX4, BLK/BLK ExtraCab, EcoBoost, 358 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    2011 Shelby GT500 Coupe, BLK/BLK, Perf Pac, No Stripes, 482 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    2009 STX F150, BLK/BLK Single Cab, Stepside, 205 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    2007 C6 ZO6 BLK/BLK, 531 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    2007 Trailblazer SS, BLK/BLK, 424 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    2006 Trailblazer SS, BLK/BLK, 410 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    2005 C6, Z51, BLK/BLK, 445 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    2003 SVT Cobra, BLK/BLK, 535 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    1998 Formula WS6, BLK/BLK, 436 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    1998 Camaro, Z28, BLK/BLK, 355 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    1996 SVT Cobra, BLK/BLK, 337 RWHP ( Sold!! )
    1989 LX 5.0, BLK/BLK, 276 RWHP ( Sold!! - Memories!! )
    1979 Ford Fairmont Station Wagon, Silver-Red Int, "The Car" that scarred me for life!!

WERA #505 Supersport = Sportbikes TOO Many to List!!

Quote Originally Posted by IcebourgGT500 View Post
    Bring it!! I cant wait to run one. I will have a chance to. One of the project guys I work with has a silver coupe on order, Z51, mag ride, and sport seats........
    +1... can't wait for the first cocky C7 to roll up for some some.

2012 Black GT500 - Almost stock

Blog Entries
    This test fails to take into consideration that for many of us a two-seater is impractical. It makes a point of the Stingray's 1.7 additional feet of trunk space but omits the obvious lack of backseat. The two cars just aren't comparable. Plus Edmunds just flat out sucks with those acceleration times, the slowest of any publication so far...
    14 Shelby GT500: DIB, glass roof, Recaros delivered 6/8/13

Wow what a crock, they are sending a bunch of guys out on the street to get raped by a GT 500 with all their bs stats. I guess next Summer will be a blast on the street!
    2013 Raptor S Crew
    2013 Shelby GT-500 vert
    2008 Shelby GT-500 vert
    2003 SVT Cobra vert
    2003 Viper SRT-10 Roadster
    1988 Mustang GT vert

Crazy SVT Poster
    The Corvette is great, but I have kids to haul around, so it would never work for me anyway. A two-seater is definitely not practical at all for me because then I would need a second car and would rarely be able to drive the Vette. The Corvette should not be compared to the Mustang because the Corvette is a two seater. It's no surprise the Corvette handles better because it weighs less, has lower center of gravity, and has wider tires on all 4 corners. At least they acknowledged that the GT500 is faster once it gets traction.
    Last edited by SVTKen; 09-24-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Thanks,

Ken

Crazy SVT Poster
    The Vette is a 2-seat SPORTS CAR, the GT500 is a 4-seat MUSCLE CAR & holds its own when comparing the two!

The Vette doesn't excel up against other sports cars, the GT500 does excel up against other muscle cars!

You can't outrun ugly! zr1gerhardt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 440sprint View Post
    The Vette doesn't excel up against other sports cars, the GT500 does excel up against other muscle cars!
    I am sorry about all of the mustang owners feeling hurt that they picked the Vette and then make irrational statements like this.

The new stingray is one of the most balanced sports cars ever made. Yes, the GT500 is faster in a straight line, no doubt. I love the GT500 and will not trade mine for a stingray either. But come on.

It has better tires, better suspension, better performance management software, nicer interior, good looks, great mpg, etc.

Then take the car to a track. It can run with many exotic cars. For example, it has the 7th fastest hot lap time at the Virginia International Speedway for a stock car. It lapped faster than any GT-R, Porsche, Lexus LFA, Mercedes, GT500 and it outran the z06 with the Z07 package. Yes, different days and different drivers, but it is up there period. Here is the link.

Virginia International Raceway lap records - FastestLaps.com

So don't tell me it does not excel or compare favorably to other sports cars, unless you mean beating them around a track does not count. Just because you may not like its straight line performance, does not mean it is not a great car.

Scott
    1965 AC Cobra Replica
    2013 Race Red Ford Shelby GT500
    2010 Torch Red Chevrolet ZR1 Corvette
    2010 Flame Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    1969 Corvette Stingray (about to be restored)
    2004 Pewter Hummer H2 - Sold (and Missed)
    2000 Artic White Chevrolet Corvette - Sold
    1996 Black LT4 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by zr1gerhardt View Post
    I am sorry about all of the mustang owners feeling hurt that they picked the Vette and then make irrational statements like this.

The new stingray is one of the most balanced sports cars ever made. Yes, the GT500 is faster in a straight line, no doubt. I love the GT500 and will not trade mine for a stingray either. But come on.

It has better tires, better suspension, better performance management software, nicer interior, good looks, great mpg, etc.

Then take the car to a track. It can run with many exotic cars. For example, it has the 7th fastest hot lap time at the Virginia International Speedway for a stock car. It lapped faster than any GT-R, Porsche, Lexus LFA, Mercedes, GT500 and it outran the z06 with the Z07 package. Yes, different days and different drivers, but it is up there period. Here is the link.

Virginia International Raceway lap records - FastestLaps.com

So don't tell me it does not excel or compare favorably to other sports cars, unless you mean beating them around a track does not count. Just because you may not like its straight line performance, does not mean it is not a great car.

Scott
    Good points but strait line is all I need on the street especially when that's where my car will be driven 99.9 percent of the time. It doesn't matter if the Shelby managed beat it on the track, anyone could see that this cheesy write up was Corvette friendly. I'm not just a Shelby fan, I own many different types of cars and can see when an article is bs, looks to me like a rerun of the ZL1 story.

You can't outrun ugly! zr1gerhardt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 guy View Post
    Good points but strait line is all I need on the street especially when that's where my car will be driven 99.9 percent of the time. It doesn't matter if the Shelby managed beat it on the track, anyone could see that this cheesy write up was Corvette friendly. I'm not just a Shelby fan, I own many different types of cars and can see when an article is bs, looks to me like a rerun of the ZL1 story.
    Yes it seems bias, but let's be honest. The GT500 is not going to win an overall comparison review with the new Vette with most journalists. It is new and the car has so many technology upgrades over the GT500, that it makes its performance easy to reach for everyday drivers even with the manual.

The gt500 has massive performance, but it is much harder to achieve, and still feel comfy and safe in the car. HP, 0-60 are just part of the equation.

Big HP solid axle muscle cars are fun, but they are not going to win the hearts and minds of the journalists when compared to easier to drive sports cars.

Crazy SVT Poster
    They used 91 oct. Fuel in hot weather. That's why the times are bit slower.
    2010 Kona Blue/Silver GT500
    TVS, 2.6 Pulley, L/M Ported Plenum, L/M 66 TB, Metco Idlers, Whipple 123 MAF and CAI, Shelby/Revan Twin Fan Heat Exchanger, Aeroforce Dual Gauges, SOS Pillar, DSS Aluminum Shaft, BMR DS Loop, Bobs Ultimate Catch Can, NGK TR6 plugs, Roush Upper Control Arm, Sphoon Spherical Lower Control Arms/Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets, Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks, Eibach Sportline Springs and Roush Extream Off Road Exhaust, 2013 Front Grills, Vossen Graphite 20X9 & 20X10.5 CV3's, MPSS 255/35 20--295/30 20, Tuned by Jim LaRocca.
    642RWHP and 607FT/LBS TRQ

2012 Black Raven CTS-V Coupe
    JL 500/1 V2, JL 10W7
    LPE 2.55 Pulley/Tune, ID850's Ported Snout, Solid Isolator, 170TSAT, RX Catch Can, Lowered, Spacers, Airaid, Aeroforce Gauge, and Corsa Sport Exhaust.
    537RWHP and 552 RWRTQ

2003 Redfire Cobra
    Whipple 140AX ~ 60lbs Injectors ~ KB Boost a Pump
    2400 MAF ~ Billet Flow Pulleys ~ Bassani X-Pipe and Cat Back
    SCT Xcaliber 2, tuned by Sutton Performance ~ Steeda CIA
    NGK TR6's Gapped at .032 ~ H&R Super Sport Springs ~ MM Isolators and Bushings ~ MM Cast and Camber Plates ~ MM FLSFC
    Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors ~ 18X9f and 18X10r Chrome Saleen's ~ 275/35-18 Bfg KDW2 ~ 295/35-18 Bfg KD G-force Drags
    9000K HID's ~ SS Inserts ~ Auto Meter: Boost, Air/Fuel, and Volts (A-Pillar)
    Kenwood Excelon 6.5 Flat screen DVD/CD ~ JL Componet Speakers ~ JL Audio 300/4
    JL Audio 500/1 ~ JL Audio 10W7 ~ All Kinds of Billet, Front Snake, and the Shorty Antenna
    604 RWHP and 596 RWTRQ
    10.8 @133

2009.5 White Hot G8 GXP
    RotoFab, Corsa, FAST, Speed Inc Tune
    402RWHP & 396TRQ----SOLD 7-27-12

Shelby SP Region Director dubbsfaris's Avatar
    Premium Member
    I will probably own a Vette in the next couple years if Ford doesn't finally build a capable sportscar. Ford GT not included.

IDC about the review favoring the vette. My wife and I are planning on buying one without trading in the Shelby and I bet that in the future I'll end up trading in the vette and keeping the Shelby. I wonder how the review would've been if the Shelby had Michelin tires.

Quote Originally Posted by zr1gerhardt View Post
    Yes it seems bias, but let's be honest. The GT500 is not going to win an overall comparison review with the new Vette with most journalists. It is new and the car has so many technology upgrades over the GT500, that it makes its performance easy to reach for everyday drivers even with the manual.

The gt500 has massive performance, but it is much harder to achieve, and still feel comfy and safe in the car. HP, 0-60 are just part of the equation.

Big HP solid axle muscle cars are fun, but they are not going to win the hearts and minds of the journalists when compared to easier to drive sports cars.
    I can't agree with you more regarding journalist favoring the new technology but at the stop light I don't see the Stingray winning. I agree the Shelby is a muscle car and the Stingray is a sportscar by far but 202 HP is a big advantage even with the weight difference muscle car or not. I guess we shall see! I agree with Farris as far as owning one at some point but I will wait for a ZR1 or ZO6 before I buy my first Vette!

Crazy SVT Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppacapp View Post
    +1... can't wait for the first cocky C7 to roll up for some some.
    +2. The 1/4 mile times for the C7 are pretty horrible in my opinion, thought it would be a solid 12.0 car but far too many reviews have it trapping 114-115mph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast