Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Elio Motors 84mpg "car" for $6800

Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

It's actually classified as a motorcycle and most will need a class M license to drive, so not sure why they're calling it a car, but it's still a really neat concept. Has heat, a/c, wipers. Can go upto 100 mph and can go from 0-60mph in less than 10 seconds.

They start production next year. I hope it all goes well, I'm already looking forward to buying one. Just imagine what it's going to do for the economy, and environment.

cool concept, but no thanks. I'll keep my v8 cars and trucks, that thing is hideous and a deathtrap.
    2001 ZY GT - totaled Jan 14 2012..miss it everyday -Not a TIMESLIP VAGINA
    2007 gsxr 600
    2013 Ford F-150

I don't understand how in the FAQ they claim it is classified as motorcycle, but then say you probably won't need a motorcycle license.

Posted via Topify using Android

I'm not sure either. I read that right now they're working on legislation so that you don't have to wear a helmet when driving it.

It's like they want it classified as a motorcycle so that you don't have to pass all the safety ratings and whatever else like a car has, but it probably drives and rides more like a car than a bike, so why need a class M? Not sure but will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by allister View Post
    I'm not sure either. I read that right now they're working on legislation so that you don't have to wear a helmet when driving it.

It's like they want it classified as a motorcycle so that you don't have to pass all the safety ratings and whatever else like a car has, but it probably drives and rides more like a car than a bike, so why need a class M? Not sure but will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    its nothing more than one of those 3 wheels motorcycles with a cab around it.
    NOT QUITE GONE YET!

A face only a mother could love...

cool for a pure commuter I guess. No passengers, no room for groceries, or anything really. I don't see how you wouldn't need another car with one of these, which kind of defeats the point.....
    The Pennsylvania State University -- Alumnus
    Department of Astronomy/Astrophysics

The DC metro area sucks, don't move here.

4lb lower, CAI, Accufab SBTB, Long Tubes, High-Flow Cats, Bassani CB, Traction bars, xcal2, NGK TR6's, DMR oil sep
    Tuned by JJ@WMS

here 4 da laffs & cruelty 90goldtsiawd's Avatar
    Can't wait to see what's left in a wreck.
    Volvo Sales & Leasing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wayne
    Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
    '04 Torch Red Cobra Coupe: 2.76-JLT CAI-Bassani ORX-Borla Stingers---SOLD---RIP...
    '90 Sonic Blue Talon Tsi AWD Fully Built SCM61--- PARTED OUT

"Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaay"
    2001 MMR Powered Eaton Cobra

EVERY family needs one of these.

How about bring the deisel powered cars over in Europe to the states? Their AVERAGE mpg is 40. Our average is less than 20.

Wait. That probably makes wayyyyy too much sense for the gov't.
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction
    I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please
    dear God protect my ride."-Amen

2001 TR Corvette Z06
    2003 redfire cobra #5112 born January 03 {SOLD}
    1999 Artic White Trans Am WS6 {SOLD}

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateTermi View Post
    How about bring the deisel powered cars over in Europe to the states? Their AVERAGE mpg is 40. Our average is less than 20.

Wait. That probably makes wayyyyy too much sense for the gov't.
    Do they meet our emission standards?

I read that Honda was testing a clean diesel, but after diesel prices went up I never heard anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Do they meet our emission standards?

I read that Honda was testing a clean diesel, but after diesel prices went up I never heard anything about it.
    Our gov't can test thousands of atomic bombs, but we have to comply with emission standards... Total BS. Anyways, there aren't any emissions where I live so idk? If you live in liberalfornia it may be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ElscottHavoc View Post
    I don't understand how in the FAQ they claim it is classified as motorcycle, but then say you probably won't need a motorcycle license.

Posted via Topify using Android
    Same reason a Canam Spyder is listed as a motorcycle due to its design but you dont need a motorcycle license to ride it.

2010 Fusion SE | 6spd Auto | Stock-ish as hell | The DD | 8K HIDs |

2003 Redfire Cobra | 448wp/435wtq | 2.93" Upper / Stock Lower | bunch of other stuff | SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    The cosmos is also within us; we're made of star stuff. We are a way, for the cosmos, to know itself.

Authorized Vendor NitrousExpress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001GTTT View Post
    cool concept, but no thanks. I'll keep my v8 cars and trucks, that thing is hideous and a deathtrap.
    I agree with you. I'd rather have a sportsbike if I was going to be riding in something this unsafe.

-Garrett

Actually they are anticipating a 5 star safety rating, and you can get it with a manual transmission too. I think it would make a fun commuter car.

I would still wear a helmet when driving it, so no one knew it was me
    "A warranty is like your virginity. Once its gone, its really not that big of a deal."

CURRENT VEHICLE:
    Oxford White 2014 A6 GT
    Black Paxton 2200SL, 10psi, JLT intake, Jegs Cat Deletes, Borla S-types, E85, AED tune, Dark stars 17x4.5 front and 15x10 rear with MT 325 DR's : HP...ALL OF IT!

Cool concept, but good god those looks =

2004 Black Cobra: Bassani CB - Pypes O/R X-Pipe - 18 Inch 03 Wheels - Pioneer Touch Screen Stereo with 10" Subwoofer in Custom Ported Box - 'Anti Venom' Mod - Spec Stage 2+ Clutch & Ford Racing Flywheel - Steeda Clutch Cable and Quadrant

Dyno''d 366/354 on Mustang Dyno

Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

It's actually classified as a motorcycle and most will need a class M license to drive, so not sure why they're calling it a car, but it's still a really neat concept. Has heat, a/c, wipers. Can go upto 100 mph and can go from 0-60mph in less than 10 seconds.

They start production next year. I hope it all goes well, I'm already looking forward to buying one. Just imagine what it's going to do for the economy, and environment.

Quote Originally Posted by astrodudepsu View Post
    cool for a pure commuter I guess. No passengers, no room for groceries, or anything really. I don't see how you wouldn't need another car with one of these, which kind of defeats the point.....
    Several guys here at work actually have them pre-ordered/on waiting list. We've been watching the progrees for over a year. Several of us went see it when they came through Baton Rouge on their tour.

I may be getting one myself for work.
    They are bigger than you think on the inside.

Over 40 states have already exemped it from the helmet laws.
    Most states laws are written that anything under 4 wheels is a motorcycle. They are fine with that part due to less testing and emissions crap but not good with the helmet.

It does have side airbags also.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...planation.html
    Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNING LARRY View Post
    This is all Barry's fault.

That guy is a tool, and I hope his kids are hit by a truck and his wife is DP'ed by 40 dudes with AIDS.

Id rather drive a car that got 1 mpg then to be caught dead in that thing

I'd be slightly interested in that for a cheap commuter; $6,800 is a pretty good price!

Quote Originally Posted by NitrousExpress View Post
    I agree with you. I'd rather have a sportsbike if I was going to be riding in something this unsafe.

-Garrett
    See sig.

So glad we have so many automotive engineers here.

Please show us your computer generated crash test examples so we can see just how unsafe this thing really is.
    I'd really like to know.

I think id spend a few extra grand and just get a canam spyder. Its the same thing, faster, and not enclosed. though wont make the mpg number, about half that lol.

If they actually come out and can be had for that price, I WILL be buying one. Looks like it would be a good commuter and since my new job is 37 miles away, gas mileage is a big thing for me.
    Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine...
    2003 Centennial Edition Mustang GT Auto Vert Build Date: 03/14/2003
    Power: Fenderwell Intake, 75mm Throttle Body, Intake Plenum, SCT Tuner, Flowmasters
    Suspension: Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, H&R Super Sport Springs, SR Performance Caster-Camber plates
    Cosmetics: Mach 1 chin spoiler, grille delete, staggered Bullitts, tinted windows

Past toys: '02 Wrangler, '01 Z06, '94 Lightning, '97 Cobra, '03 Cobra. And many other DD/slow cars...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast