Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    June 2013
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    88

    5.0 voodoo engine?

    the latest american muscle video mentions the new svt mustang will be a n/a voodoo motor, 5.1 or something or stroked.
    Anyone else hear anything about this?

  2. #2
    Rookie SVT Poster bullittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Location
    fairport,new york
    Posts
    84
    Haven't posted in a while, just to add an observation. Would love a shot at another big block....But would be happy with with what SVT might come with, they have done pretty well in the past. Re: the 5.8, since it is unlikely we will see the the SVT variant before calender 15, it seems logical that the niche line would be shut down having nothing to build for now. In conversations with my engine builders in the past this was common practice as they shifted back and forth from the line to the main shop. As they say "We will see"
    2006 Shelby GT-H #261
    GT500 ordered 3/13/06 Alloy with crimson red int.
    Produced 2/26/07
    Mods VMP TVS with FRPP throttlebody
    2.5 pulley
    FRPP springs with adjustable dampers
    3.31 gears Nitto INVO tires
    Ford racing short throw shifter

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    281
    dude I remember seeing magazine articles about a 5.1l a 5.5l and a 5.2l voodoo engine. I was told that ford has nothing of the sort on their plans.

    bulittman the 5.8l is staying, the N/A variant for the mustang and a blown for the SVT product.

  4. #4
    Rookie SVT Poster bullittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Location
    fairport,new york
    Posts
    84
    Well, I'll hope for that to be the case

  5. #5
    Crazy SVT Poster darreng505's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by americansteel View Post
    dude I remember seeing magazine articles about a 5.1l a 5.5l and a 5.2l voodoo engine. I was told that ford has nothing of the sort on their plans.

    bulittman the 5.8l is staying, the N/A variant for the mustang and a blown for the SVT product.
    Ford has already leaked there "is" a voodoo engine but thats all. They posted on a forum (don't have the link handy but you can find it somewhere).

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by darreng505 View Post
    Ford has already leaked there "is" a voodoo engine but thats all. They posted on a forum (don't have the link handy but you can find it somewhere).

    you do realize the voodoo term was used back in 08 and 09 for the eco-boost F150?

  7. #7
    SVT God Quicktime_GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,210
    The company I work for was issued an RFQ for this engine..

    It's very interesting indeed..

  8. #8
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by americansteel View Post

    bulittman the 5.8l is staying, the N/A variant for the mustang and a blown for the SVT product.
    There is no NA 5.8 nor will there be.

    They would need different heads, different cams, different pistons, a different intake, etc., they couldn't just take off the supercharger or it would be a dog. Complete redesign, which isn't happening at this point in the lifecycle.

    The 2000 Cobra R with the 5.4 made 385 hp NA, adjusting for the extra displacement, you'd be looking at around 414 hp for an NA 5.8, less than the Coyote makes. It's a crap motor NA.

    2014 is the end of the line for the 5.4/5.8 Condor/Trinity. The 2015 Expedition is dropping the 5.4 in favor of the 5.0 from the F150 and an optional Ecoboost 3.5, the 2015 Navigator is dropping the 5.4 and will come with the 3.5 Ecoboost standard. Ford isn't going to keep that engine family going just for one car.
    2012 Mustang Boss 302 #3110
    Born 12/16/2011, Purchased 4/14/2012
    Performance White, Recaros/Torsen, Cover/Mats
    Track Key, Exhaust Plate Delete, K&N Air Filter

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by RTD View Post
    There is no NA 5.8 nor will there be.

    They would need different heads, different cams, different pistons, a different intake, etc., they couldn't just take off the supercharger or it would be a dog. Complete redesign, which isn't happening at this point in the lifecycle.

    The 2000 Cobra R with the 5.4 made 385 hp NA, adjusting for the extra displacement, you'd be looking at around 414 hp for an NA 5.8, less than the Coyote makes. It's a crap motor NA.

    2014 is the end of the line for the 5.4/5.8 Condor/Trinity. The 2015 Expedition is dropping the 5.4 in favor of the 5.0 from the F150 and an optional Ecoboost 3.5, the 2015 Navigator is dropping the 5.4 and will come with the 3.5 Ecoboost standard. Ford isn't going to keep that engine family going just for one car.

    sorry bud 5.8l in N/A form for the mustang and the blown 5.8L the engine is staying for SVT.
    btw I happen to have built a 5.4l svt cobra motor, in N/A those cams sucked, but of course I had to get a different set with a tad different duration that engine made 476HP.
    the expedition will get the 5.0 and the eco-boost will not be offered as far as I know.
    .
    ford doesn't have to make a different set of heads for the 5.8l to make it work in a N/A car, a manifold? yes.

  10. #10
    Slower than ever Fenixfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2005
    Location
    ABQ, NM USA
    Posts
    1,628
    From what I understand the voodoo motor was reported to be a twin turbo 5.0. This came from car and driver.....
    2003 Azure Blue Mach 1 5spd w/ IUP

    Stay tuned for the new build.......
    Posi eaton powered + 5.0 = never before seen eaton numbers (hopefully)
    July 2014

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicktime_GT View Post
    The company I work for was issued an RFQ for this engine..

    It's very interesting indeed..
    just got off the phone with my friend, was told there are multiple rumors that have been going around so much infact that ford has taken notice of this "voodoo" engine last time the voodoo term was used was in 08 and 09. no such thing!

  12. #12
    Crazy SVT Poster darreng505's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by americansteel View Post
    just got off the phone with my friend, was told there are multiple rumors that have been going around so much infact that ford has taken notice of this "voodoo" engine last time the voodoo term was used was in 08 and 09. no such thing!
    I just got off the phone with "my friend" and he said your friend is wrong.
    Last edited by darreng505; 12-03-2013 at 06:35 AM.

  13. #13
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    Upper midwest
    Posts
    129
    Yup, there is no way anybody who knows the specs/plans are going to be so casually open about it.

  14. #14
    Relax! I'm a Doctor! 1wild-horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    1,260
    a friend? wasn't it a nephew's cousins former roommate?

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wild-horse View Post
    a friend? wasn't it a nephew's cousins former roommate?
    troll much? 3rd post you followed me! actually its my machinist cousin who works for ford as I written before.

  16. #16
    Relax! I'm a Doctor! 1wild-horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    1,260
    my machinist has a cousin that works for ford.
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...a-gt350-4.html
    3rd post on the page.

    And yes, yes I do. u got me

  17. #17
    SVT God
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    7,904
    I hope Ford drops the 5.4/5.8's from it's lineup. The 5.4 was built to be a truck motor. It was made more for a broader torque curve, and better lowend torque than making more HP over a 4.6. The 5.4/5.8 is overstroked for a performance car motor. Sure it has tons of power potential when boosted, but that's any DOHC Ford v8. The 5.4/5.8 are not great high RPM motors, and don't bring up the fact that a 5.8 redlines at 7000 RPM's because I know, and I also know a Roadrunner will live happy at 8,200 RPM with just a tune to tell it to let it redline there. Again it's stroke is too long. 4.165" of stroke makes for some extremely high piston speeds at higher RPM's. The only factory gas motor I know of that came with a longer stroke was a Vortec 8100. Even all your old BB motors don't have a stroke as long as a 5.4.

    This long stroke also makes for a noticeably taller, and heavier motor that carries it's weight higher in the chassis than a 4.6/5.0.
    Last edited by Jroc; 12-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.

  18. #18
    Crazy SVT Poster GT500-lolz@MPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    414
    Just got off the interwebz with a friend of a friend. He said you just tell ford what size motor and how much HP you want and they can do it. Want an all motor 12.52L monster V10? Done son.
    '13 GT500 SGM PP - ARH LT's - Stainless Works - JLT - Lund Tuned
    '12 Ducati Streetfighter S (For Sale! -Dec13- PM ME!)

  19. #19
    Crazy SVT Poster darreng505's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by americansteel View Post
    troll much? 3rd post you followed me! actually its my machinist cousin who works for ford as I written before.
    Reminds me of this, which I saw today on TV.


  20. #20
    Crazy SVT Poster
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Location
    St Louis Mo
    Posts
    503
    Oh no this AmericanSteel guy is trolling again If you truly had an all knowing friend you would know you were right and wouldn't have to try to prove it to a bunch of people on a forum, you could sit back and have the last laugh... If you wan't to prove that you are right then sit back and watch people dream and laugh but don't say anything, but arguing isn't going to make people believe you. Just some food for thought

  21. #21
    Crazy SVT Poster MrCaliKrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by darreng505 View Post
    Reminds me of this, which I saw today on TV.

    High-Larry-Us !!!
    Mystichrome - #207 of 1010 - Convertible - #453 of 1896 - TERMINATOR 2004




    Modification Level = BPU《+》
    Intake: JLT Next Gen CAI (filter in fender) 《+》Accufab SBTB w/ plenum Exhaust: MRT catted H-pipe + JBA exhaust Boost: Billet Flow 2.76 (upper pulley only) [BF Snub Idler Bracket w/4 Idler Pulley Set] Supporting Mods Needed for BPU 《+》HP Level: a) Diablo MAFia b) KB Boost A Pump (BAP) hard wired c) Ford Racing Alternator 130 Amp d) Canton IC Reservoir Drivetrain: Maximum Motorsports IRS Subframe Bushing Kit / Billet Flow IRS Brace / Maximum Motorsports Low Profile IRS Subframe Bolts / MGW Shifter (orange handle) / Cobra Bob Shifter Gasket / Billet Flow Firewall Adjuster / Steeda Double Hook Quadrant / Anti-Venom "washer" mod / Centerforce Dual Friction clutch / Ford Racing clutch fork / Fidanza aluminum flywheel (replaceable friction plate) / ARP Pro Series flywheel bolts / Ford Racing heavy duty TOB / Ford Racing roller pilot bearing / Lethal Performance forged steel TOB retainer sleeve / Royal Purple Synchromax Trans Fluid Tune: SCT X3 - dyno tuned on 91 Octane @ RET Suspension: Stock Handling: MMD Styling Bar Monitor: Torque Pro w/ Phone & AEM UEGO Failsafe Digital Wideband A/F & Boost Gauge

  22. #22
    Crazy SVT Poster blackvette101's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2011
    Location
    delray beach
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by Jroc View Post
    I hope Ford drops the 5.4/5.8's from it's lineup. The 5.4 was built to be a truck motor. It was made more for a broader torque curve, and better lowend torque than making more HP over a 4.6. The 5.4/5.8 is overstroked for a performance car motor. Sure it has tons of power potential when boosted but that's and DOHC Ford v8. The 5.4/5.8 are not great RPM motors and don't bring up the fact that a 5.8 redlines at 7000 RPM's because I know and I also know a Roadrunner will live happy at 8,200 RPM with just a tune to tell it to let it redline there. Again it's stroke is too long. 4.165" of stroke makes for some extremely high piston speeds at higher RPM's. The only factory gas motor I now of that came with a longer stroke was a Vortec 8100. Even all your old BB motor don't have a stroke as long as a 5.4.

    This long stroke also makes for a noticeably taller and heavier motor that carries it's weight higher in the chassis than a 4.6/5.0.
    yeah even a few 13's have had issues revving that high. Any reasonable sized motor should not go past 4'' stroke if it needs to rev.
    2008 Black Shelby GT500- 742/766 WHP/WTQ- TVS@ 20 PSI
    2008 Black Chevrolet Corvette Z06- 515/505 WHP/WTQ- Full bolt on
    2009 Silver Dodge Viper VOI X edition #33 of 100- stock
    1989 Matte Black Ford Mustang- 114mm turbo on 445ci SBF in the works
    1990 Black Ford Mustang- Heads and cam 306ci street car
    2014 Silver Ford Fiesta ST- 183/219 WHP/WTQ- stock

  23. #23
    MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac JohnRichard's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    287
    The 5.4l and 4.6l engines was outsourced and made by Triton, ford no longer outsources engines for thier products... the 5.4 Triton is GONE.

  24. #24
    Rookie SVT Poster
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    Upper midwest
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    The 5.4l and 4.6l engines was outsourced and made by Triton, ford no longer outsources engines for thier products... the 5.4 Triton is GONE.
    Huh?
    Triton is a marketing name, like "hemi".
    Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by specizripn View Post
    Oh no this AmericanSteel guy is trolling again If you truly had an all knowing friend you would know you were right and wouldn't have to try to prove it to a bunch of people on a forum, you could sit back and have the last laugh... If you wan't to prove that you are right then sit back and watch people dream and laugh but don't say anything, but arguing isn't going to make people believe you. Just some food for thought
    I am laughing, in fact im laughing at every single one of you who ask me the same question at first, I give you all the answer and yet all 6 of you insult, tell me how much of a loser I am, tell me to go **** my self, write other shit about me. this all first started by my 3 comments regarding the mach1, "voodoo motor" and the 5.8 coming to the mustang.
    im asked how do I know this? I reply with a answer then I get a bunch of shit from losers.
    trolling= patrolling following somebody and/or a group of people. A simple answer to a question yet I get a shit storm from trolls. like I wrote before, don't believe me? wait until the coming months of 2014. but I do find it real funny that many of you on this forum actually believe what 2 magazines write and in two months later you all believe that same magazine article giving "leaked" information pertaining to the same subject that differs from the past articles that they have published. this forum site is full of trolls and nimrods that have nothing else better to do other than talk shit. I belong to 3 forums and this site has got to be about the worse one! CRY MUCH????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •