tire size question

getting ready to order tires for my 13 shelby,heres the question,has any one put 315 35 20s on stock rear rims,and if so did the side walls stick out past fenders or experience any rubbing?

305s would be pushing it. 315s no way on 9.5" rim

"Is That Thing Stock...." 09Troublemaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny gt500 View Post
    305s would be pushing it. 315s no way on 9.5" rim
    +1000000000000000000000000

2014= SVTPP=Recaro=Glass Roof=Nav=Shaker Pro

Long-time SVT Enthusiast Norton's Avatar
    The widest tire Michelin recommends for our stock 9.5" rims is a 285. A number of folks are running 295s without any problems. I recommend against going any larger.
    2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black, SVTPP, SVTTP, Recaros, Electronics Pkg, Shaker Pro, & Cover / 642RWHP, 621FT-LBS
    #908 of 1464, Built on 16 Oct, Delivered by Whitney's Value Ford in Elma, WA on 9 Nov
    Mods: MPSS Tires on Base Wheels; Revan Racing Engine Bay Reservoirs; JLT CF Intake; Airaid SynthaMax Filter; Bob's Ultimate Oil Separator; FRPP Strut Tower Brace; MGW Shifter; SS Brake & Clutch Lines; Ford Racing & AeroForce Interceptor Gauges; Jaeger Bros Stone Guards; VLED 5K CREE Driving Lights; Clutch-Assist Spring Removed;
    True Forged Heat Extractor; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Plus; Viper Ultra Tint; LED Map, License Plate, & Trunk Bulbs; Rogue Radar-Mount; Lloyd Mats; Shelby Dash Plaque; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; JLT Painted Radiator Cover; Amsoil Lubricants

Originally ordered from Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills (CO) on 18 Jun, my order dropped from "#1 of 3" to "#3 of 2" on 19 Sep
    Moral of the story: Do NOT shop Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills in Colo Spgs, CO

I'm currently rocking 315 NT05Rs on my stock wheels, they fit perfect and the car still handles great. Or you can run 305/35R20 Mickey Thompson ET streets. I definitely will be trying those next, I want more traction

2013 GT500, VMP Tune, VMP 67MM T/B, 2.39 pulley, Metco Aux idler, JLT 127MM intake, Shelby C&R heat exchanger, lethal OFR X pipe, MagnaFlow catback and some 315 DRs
    2008 GT500 gone, but not forgotten
    2011 GT/CS, intake, OFR X and tuned, sold
    95 GTS 5.0 H/C/I and 100 shot, sold
    All of my races http://www.streetfire.net/uploaded/mygt500.htm

thanks for the help,still don't know what i'll do.but i'm still leaning towards 315s for more traction

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 gtcs View Post
    I'm currently rocking 315 NT05Rs on my stock wheels, they fit perfect and the car still handles great. Or you can run 305/35R20 Mickey Thompson ET streets. I definitely will be trying those next, I want more traction
    I think a Nitto 315 is closer to a MPSS 305 in width. Still a wide tire tho.
    Powered by Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I think a Nitto 315 is closer to a MPSS 305 in width. Still a wide tire tho.
    Yes Nittos run small.

Is anyone running the ET Street radial on the stock wheel? If so how do they fit?

Quote Originally Posted by dfroehli View Post
    Is anyone running the ET Street radial on the stock wheel? If so how do they fit?
    There is another member I talked to that is running them, they fit perfect also

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    The widest tire Michelin recommends for our stock 9.5" rims is a 285. A number of folks are running 295s without any problems. I recommend against going any larger.
    OP:

If you opt for the MPSS 315s, you'd be best served to refrain from attempting a jerry job on the stock rims. I have a pair of MPSS 315s sitting in my office (the only place in Casa Smackiavelli safe from the determined efforts of my two behemothic, testicularly-equipped canines to mark them) awaiting the arrival of their companion rims. My measurements show the MPSS 315s to be a full two inches wider than the stock GY 285s (caveat: this assessment has been made by a wordmatician who experiences the challenge of solving Fermat's Last Theorem every time he counts the number of wheels on his Shelby). Like Senor 2112 (if I'm not mistaken), I ordered 11" Forgestar F14s on which I plan to mount the rear meats (9.5" for the 275/40/19 fronts). All indications are that for the Michelins, if not for many 315s, 11" rims represent the ideal mate. I'm sure for the brands that are not pushing the boundaries of their sizes, as do the Michelins, a 10.5" wheel is suitable for 315s. I agree with Nawwwwww-tuuuuuuun, however, that 295 is about as wide as you should go on the stock (rear) rims if you choose the MPSSes.

Good luck and may The Traction be with you.
    Who is Smackiavelli? Street rocket addict, battle-proven scrivener, intemperate bibliophile, alpha figure to dos gigante Canis lupus familiaris, the living nightmare of car forum trolls, hunter of violent cyclonic rotation, and virulent lexical assassin.

Vehicles: 2007 Trailblazer SS (not stock), 2014 Shelby (SGM, white stripes), and 1981 Zastava Koral 0.9L

I've seen a set of 295 invos and mpss tires on a 9.5 wheels. The invo look odd with the side wall bulging out but the mpss looked great. The side wall pushed out past the wheel but it was still perfectly flat. No bulge to it. It looked like it would protect the wheel also if you happen to hit a curb. I'm not sure but I think mpss tires have very thick sidewalls because of this.
    1999 Ford Lightning
    2013 GT500

Smack, what changes do have to make to fit the forgestars/315s? I've been looking to run same rim/tire set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny GT500 View Post
    Smack, what changes do have to make to fit the forgestars/315s? I've been looking to run same rim/tire set up.
    My new rims and tires are not yet on the Shelby - I don't know if any modification in my case will be necessary. Theoretically, you *shouldn't* have to make any modifications to fit the 20X11 Forgestars with MPSS 315s. There is, however, the possibility that you will have to relocate the bump stops. This hinges on how low your car sits and whether or not the rear end is well-centered. It is my understanding that, from car to car, there is some variability in how perfectly centered the rear end is from the factory.

Another factor is if you have correctly installed/adjusted panhard bars. In most cases, this suspension mod also aids in avoiding contact with the bump stops. Again, though, that is not a hard and fast rule (some GT500es with larger rims/tires and panhard bars installed still experience rubbing against the bump stops, although this most often occurs when the car is lowered more than 1.5"). The bottom line is that chances are good you can run MPSSes on the 20X11 Forgestars devoid any modification, but don't don't be surprised if it turns out that you must relocate the bump stops.

One other note: I went with offsets of +53 for the rears and +35 for the fronts. I recommend you do close to the same if this is the setup you end up choosing.

Crazy SVT Poster 13RaceRedShelby's Avatar
    One other note, if your desire is more traction and you are spending more money on the wider tire, you are effectively waisting some of that money bc you are narrowing the tire contact patch by squeezing it on a narrow wheel. Either have the wheels widened or save money and get 295s or maybe 305s. Hell I haves 305s in the works for my 11" wheels currently being built. I wanted 315s but other constraints prevented that ;)

Btw, I too went 9.5 (35mm) and 11(52mm).
    Last edited by 13RaceRedShelby; 01-21-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    2013 Shelby GT500, Race Red, Black Stripes, Performance Pkg, Glass Roof, Navigation, ShakerPro Audio

Engine Mods: Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Offroad X-pipe, Flowmaster 3" Axle-back (prototype), VMP 2.4" Interchangeable pulley/hub, FRPP Monoblade, JLT 127mm CF Intake, Moroso Reserviors, Bob's Oil Separator, Dyno Tuned (Blankenship Tuning - KY),
    Suspension Mods: Eibach Sportline Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets
    Appearance Mods: TruCarbon Hood Vent, APR CF Custom Splitter, Rennen Forged 2-piece wheels (F:21x9.5, R:21x11) on MPSS tires (F:265, R:305), 15% tint (side & back), 35% tint (entire windshield)

Rookie SVT Poster svt_king_cobra's Avatar
    You can run NT05R 315 on stock wheels, I ran TOYO R888 285/35/20 same size as stock tires but 0.3" wider and has a great traction to keep your beast on the road. i highly recommend TOYO R888 if you have stock wheels.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow Me in Instagram @Nikonphotographer
    ------------------------------------------------------
    2013 SVT SHELBY BLACK SVTPP, SVTTP "KING COBRA"
    1993 SVT COBRA S/C RED
    2004 SVT COBRA RED FIRE "SOLD"
    1993 SVT COBRA S/C TEAL "SOLD"
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Follow Me in Instagram @Nikonphotographer

Shelby SP Region Director dubbsfaris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svt_king_cobra View Post
    You can run NT05R 315 on stock wheels, I ran TOYO R888 285/35/20 same size as stock tires but 0.3" wider and has a great traction to keep your beast on the road. i highly recommend TOYO R888 if you have stock wheels.
    Weren't you just asking about the best tires for street and racing from a 40-60 roll? Im guessing the TOYO wasnt great for that then?
    2015 Mustang GT 50th, WW with Automatic on order

2014 DIB with Red Stripe GT500, all but glass roof.

2013 Black Explorer Sport, all options.

2013 Black Taurus SHO, all options.

2011 Molten Raptor SCrew, all but moon roof.

2008 Shelby Terlingua

For information on Shelby AND Ford events in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana, feel free to PM me.

I went with 295 vorti tires on my setup. Not a popular ootion on these boards it seems like bit in very imoressed with them so far
    Go like hell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubbsfaris View Post
    Weren't you just asking about the best tires for street and racing from a 40-60 roll? Im guessing the TOYO wasnt great for that then?
    Yes its me
    I went for TOYO R888 on my car and drive it every day, it is a great tire for stock wheel even if you want to rolling 40-60 (2nd gear) it sticks to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by svt_king_cobra View Post

I heard from someone else on another forum that they don't offer that tire for our 19" wheel. You have 19's up front and 20 in the rear right?

295's look great on my stock rims, but I have to concur no how no way should you go any bigger.
    2013 GT500, DIB/White
    FRPP Resonator Delete
    Redline hood struts
    MPSS all around

"Some people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by evil eye View Post
    I heard from someone else on another forum that they don't offer that tire for our 19" wheel. You have 19's up front and 20 in the rear right?
    Yes they do not have our 19" size. i only changed the rear tire 20"