Defective Turn Signal?

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
Hey guys, got a quick one for all you SN95s out there. For some time, i've been having a slight problem with my turn signals/hazard flashers acting up.

Every now and then when I use my turn signal it will not flash at all, or will flash in inconsistant patterns. And the hazard switch...well i've tried to use it before and sometimes only one signal works then the other will kick in at times.

Have any of you had this kinda problem? Apparent 50resto.com sells a harness that is suppose to replace the original turn signal harness. Does this sound like it could be the source of the problem? Have any of you had turn signal issues? 50resto talks of the harness like it's a common problem...

Any response would be very much appriciated. Thanx guys! :beer:

94EMStang

Pride, Integrity & Guts
Established Member
yes i had to replace the whole turn signal, wipers, bright light unit in the steering column. it cost me about $70.00 a couple years ago at the ford dealership. i checked fuses, flasher and flasher module and they were good. i had problems with the turn signals like you and bright lights not working, other than that part being not cheap it was an easy install. good luck with fix....

Stavesacre21

Established Member
94EMStang said:
yes i had to replace the whole turn signal, wipers, bright light unit in the steering column. it cost me about $70.00 a couple years ago at the ford dealership.

Sometimes, you just gotta despise the shortcuts Ford took :mj: :cuss:

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
The contacts that control the turn signals could be dirty...I had this problem in another car(non Ford) I own and I took the turn signal control unit off and cleaned the contacts. It did the trick. May work on the Mustang as well but can't tell you for sure.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Having the same problems here. I swapped out the flasher relay and it didn't fix the problem. Folks on here recommended a new turn signal switch and that should fix your problem.

Hope this helps!

Stavesacre21

Established Member
OK everyone, today was the big day to swap out the old multi-function switch.

I was gonna take pictures but chose not to due to the freezing cold temps...i just wanted to get done and get inside...lol.

It took me about an hour, although if I did it again it prolly would be closer to 20 minutes

Fairly easy part to install, althought a little more disassembly of the surrounding trim covers was required then mentioned by the haynes manual. Just to list it real quick, i can remember the parts.

1) remove drivers steering knee panel - 2 bolts
2) remove steel knee cover - 2 bolts
3) remove top and bottom of steering column trim - 4 screws (below)
4) remove ignition lock (1/8" phillips/punch is used and just apply pressure - no assembly retaining parts) pull ignition lock STRAIGHT out.
5) remove black display panel overlay - 2 screws
6) remove multi-function switch - 2 screws

Just a warning...there's lots of pulling and tugging to get the 2 parts of the steering column trim. just wiggle them over the tilt lever and the key release switch. You can get the upper half off without step 5, although I think it's impossiable to put it back on without removing it. This was by far the toughest part of the installation, because i was taking extra caution NOT to snap the screw-in tabs off.

The switch itself has 2 harnesses that plug up. Those were, quite frankly, a pain in the @#$ to get off without snapping the retaining clips off (each had TWO...overkill? i think so).

Reassembly is just the opposite.

Oh yea, and the whole point of the thread - this DID fix my problem with the erratic turn signals and non-functioning hazards. Everything works great now!

I know this tends to seemingly to be a rather commen part to go bad, so that's why i've decided to document all this. If you have any questions, drop me a line and i'd be happy to help anyone out as much as I can! :beer:

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Cool deal. Thanks man, mine just started acting up just a few weeks ago when I signal to go right.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
ok, i got another brain teaser.
my firends 95 stang will keep the parking lights on even after he pushes the switch all the way in.
it only happens occasionally

LucasVDW

Established Member
Cleaning

I actually had the same problem with the turn signal switch on my 94 cobra and fixed it by cleaning it. I removed it the same as if you were replacing, but then I took the thing apart and cleaned it up with a stainless steel brush and some electrical contact cleaner. There seemed to be some sort of waxy stuff in there, and one of the contacts was out of line and allowing it to go too far when you pushed the signal, which must have been shorting something out. It was kind of a 6itch to put back together - just pay attention to where everything goes - and I put some dielectric grease in there and it works great now. Another route for those looking to save $70.

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
Its the multi-function switch. I had the same problem. I checked all the bulbs, wiring harnesses, fuses and it was the multi-function switch. I got mine from Ford for $40 at their cost. Its easy to fix...take the steering column panel off and the panel under the the bottom part of the dash under the steering wheel. Oh and to get the steering column panel off, you have to take the key ignition out. make sure you have a little pick and when you put it back in make sure it clicks all the way or the door ajar sound will always go off.

Users who are viewing this thread