How To: Low 15 second quarter mile in a stock SVTF...

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Edit: I posted this because I keep seeing the avg 1/4 mile times for stock to lightly modded SVTF's running high 15s at best, low to mid 16s common. The SVTF is very capable of running mid to low 15s. In my SVTF, I ran a very consistant 15.2 at 90-92mph. 14.9s at 93-94mph with cai, udp, exhaust, & 65mm tb. Hopefully this information can be past on, so we can stop trying to figure it out for our selfs, and get an embarresing time slip in the process. We as SVT's have a name to live up to. Rock and Roll SVTP! :rockon: :burnout:

Tips on how to run a low 15 sec 1/4 mile in a STOCK SVTF.

1) If you have the Euro package, you have to pull the fues, #46, to turn traction control off all the way.

2) Do not heat up street tires, by doing a smokey burn out. Street tires become almost gressy after a tipical burn out. Instead, simply "clean" them off, and get them warmed up to operating temp. Cold tires suck ass too. Stay out of the water, rev the eng to about 4k and pop the clutch. Let off the throttle after 3 or 4 revolutions of the tires.

3) Stage as far back as you can for your best E.T. Once the first light turns on, slowly roll forward and stop AS SOON AS the second stageing light turns on. If your racing heads up, Stage as far foward as you can. Roll though the lights, then back up, stop as soon as the second light tunrs on.

4) Rev to about 3700rpms. Tranny in first.

5) When the 3rd yellow turns on, pop the clutch and roll the throtle down quikly.

6) At 7100rpms power shift. Leave your foot planted to the floor, stab the clutch, all the way down, and let off as fast as you can, at the same time shifting as fast as you can, into the next gear.

7) Congradulations, with practice you can now run a low 15 sec 1/4 in your stock SVTF. Imagine what you can run modded...

Notes...
-Spinning tires is bad. However, in a stock SVTF, a little bit of wheel spin will yeild a better E.T. then trying to flote or slip the clutch for the avg driver. You need to practice this. If you spin to much, lower your launch RPMs, if you bogg AT ALL raise them. Popping the clutch should get you a mid 2.1 60ft time once you get it right. With that said, with even more practice, a slipped clutch launch should get you a low 2.0 60 ft time.

-Street tires vrs Drag Radials or slicks. Do not do a smokey burn out on street tires, that'll cause you to lose traction. You only need them cleaned of debri picked up in the parking lot or stageing lanes. Do not lower PSI to much on street tires, if I run 35psi on the street, I'll run 27psi at the track. On DR's or Slicks, the more you heat'em up, the better. The lower the psi with out slowing you down on the op end, the better. To heat'emn up right, you need to engage the parking break fully, water the front tires or drive through the wet box. Rev it up to 4k and pop the clutch. Hold your RPMS at around 5500 - 6k. Once you see smoke on both sides, count to 5. One, two, three, four, five. Then disengage your parking brake, and let off the throtle 1/2 way. Let'em hook, then depress the clutch and let off the throtle. Do not "test" the tires. Properly heated DRs or slicks have their best grip ONCE after the burn out. A good launch on street tires for the stock SVTF is a low 2.0 60ft times. DRs and slicks, as low as 1.8s should be atainable.

-Why powershift at 7100 rpms when the red line is at 7250? Have you ever powershifted befor? If you hit the rev limiter during the shift, it will alomst defeat the pourpos of powershifting. Once you get it down, shift as high as you want with out hitting the limiter.

-All this take practice. Modify everything to yeild to your driving style and net you your fastest E.T. Things like Tire pressure, launch rpms, clutch usage, shift rpms. All this take practice to get dialed in. What I have typed up is just a good starting point for the novice.

-Good luck, be safe, and have a fuggin blast!

-For models with traction control, pushing the botton to turn it off does not disengage it until your over 25mpg or so. By pulling the fues, it is compleatly disengaged, but be warrned, so is your ABS, and your brake bias. So no slamming on the brakes, your the rear will lock up on you, and could cause you to go into a spin.

Last edited:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
HalfTime, you know i said it B4 bro... But Thnx, cool ass advice!! I know exactly where this post came from... (some ying-yang) in another post was saying that SVTF's were running mid to high 16's stock, right??? Any way im a believer in these tight little machines!!! BTW HalfTime, look for my post. I have a question about my new mods i put on yesterday :)

HalfTime

Established Member
Your right on that 6Speed, these are awsome cars, but if you can't drive it right, they don't perform too well in a streight line. I'm just hoping that with this info to start with, we'll stop seeing 16sec time slips for stock and lightly modded SVTFs. And I'll take alook at your post. Later Bro.

Edit: Where is it? I don't see any recent posts from you.

Last edited:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
I actually tested your advice today when my wife asked me to go to the store and get refreshments. I must say, it works well. I always revved it to 2500 rpms, popped the clutch, dump the throttle, then feather the throttle as needed to avoid too much wheelspin. Although I've never taken my SVTF to the track, I'm going to try both methods when I do get to the track (if I don't sell my car 'til then). Over 10 years ago, when my 5.0 was BONE STOCK, I ran a 13.9 e.t.. It was a LX 5.0 hatch w/2.73 gears and radial tires. I hit 13.8's with just a flowmaster mufflers mod. So I think I'll run decent #'s with the SVTF. Also, has anyone else noticed how easy it is to powershift the SVTF's? This is by far the most powershift-friendly car I've ever owned.

HalfTime

Established Member
Awsome, nice runs with the 5.0 too. And yea, this car loves the powershifts, as long as your clutch is good. lol I have to granny shift the hell out of it right now. ;(

HTPerformance

HalfTime said:
Awsome, nice runs with the 5.0 too. And yea, this car loves the powershifts, as long as your clutch is good. lol I have to granny shift the hell out of it right now. ;(

Want to trade me something for a stock replacement clutch? I have a brand new on laying around somewhere. hehe would help you out for a little while anyways...

HalfTime

Established Member
What did you have in mind? I'm running close to 300whp, so if I do this, it'll have to worth it, because it wont last that long. But if you got it just laying around... if I don;t have anything your looking for, how much would you sell it for?

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I have ran 15.3's in ours since it was new. I don't power shift but I am pretty quick at shifting (been racing 5.0's for a few years)

HalfTime

Established Member
That's good times. With your skill, and if you powershift, (the little 2.0 loves to keep the revs up) you could get REAL damn close to hitting 14.s. What were your 60ft times?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
HalfTime said:
That's good times. With your skill, and if you powershift, (the little 2.0 loves to keep the revs up) you could get REAL damn close to hitting 14.s. What were your 60ft times?

I don't remember, I want to say in the 2.3 range. I think I was feathering the clutch out quickly at 4k rpm. Its been awhile since I took it down the 1/4. Its my wife's daily driver. All in all I think I have taken it down the track 5-6 times.

HalfTime

Established Member
Wow, then yea, if you can get a 2.1 60 ft time, and powershift, you may be able to hit 14s.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
I bought an aluminum flywheel for mine that I plan on putting in soon. Will an aluminum flywheel make a noticeable difference?

HalfTime

Established Member
Hell yea it will. Depending on your mods, but stock, I bet at least a tenth, maybe 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile. The stock one is so damn heavy and bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread