Is anyone running an ipod or any other MP3 player through the stock Head Unit

69Mach1351w

Established Member
I recently purchased an e260 sansa ( MP3 player) which i love, but of course because its not an iPod, at the time there are not many aftermarket parts available. So i read on CobraBobs website, that the 03 cobras have an aux in on the back of the unit. (It was actually found in the section explaining the diff. between the 03's and 04's). So if i simply go to radio shack or a similar place, ad purchase an aux audio cable to plug into my player can i simply plug it into my reciever? If that is possible, how would i switch the unit to aux, there is no button on the front of the unit. Thanks in advance.

Mark

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
69Mach1351w said:
gracias amigos, for the advice. Yeah, i figured it should be pretty simple, i was just curious. Well off to radio shack.

Thanks
Mark
I hope you didnt leave!
Get this... plug and play on our 03's... I ran it on my 03 mach1 and now my cobra, w/o problems.
h581DFF1-f.jpeg

Circuity City link
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/USA-...18954/catOid/-15585/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Does it come with a plug that goes into the bottom of the ipod? How exactly does it connect to the ipod?

Can you use the factory head unit buttons to control the ipod?
This one is plug and play, no splicing at all..... it works by adding two RCA jacks into the stock 03 Head Unit... However, it doesnt provide for Ipod control... Check Shelby's thread for more info on that...

I use this for my sirius unit on my 03, as my sirius tuner has an RCA out on it. Any ipod or audio device that has an RCA output can benefit from this easy add on.

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
This one is plug and play, no splicing at all..... it works by adding two RCA jacks into the stock 03 Head Unit... However, it doesnt provide for Ipod control... Check Shelby's thread for more info on that...

I use this for my sirius unit on my 03, as my sirius tuner has an RCA out on it. Any ipod or audio device that has an RCA output can benefit from this easy add on.

That is exactly what I bought at Circuit City for my son's car. Works great and is a very simple install.

69Mach1351w

Established Member
great!! And i didnt make it to R Shack

so all i need for the unit from circuit city is ... rca out cables. then i plug the other end into the head unit?? If so this is much more plug and play than the PIE piece. Im going to check it out online, to see where i can get this part for cheap, thanks for getting a link to it and everything, it will be much easier to find what im looking for now.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
69Mach1351w said:
so all i need for the unit from circuit city is ... rca out cables. then i plug the other end into the head unit?? If so this is much more plug and play than the PIE piece. Im going to check it out online, to see where i can get this part for cheap, thanks for getting a link to it and everything, it will be much easier to find what im looking for now.
yeah, its a very easy install. Plug it into the rear of the head unit and then mount it somewhere easy to get to.

I put mine on the tranny tunnel, near the heater core on the passenger side... most people dont notice it until I point it out. I liked this one due to ease of install and it has 2 RCA inputs. Im very happy with it!

They sell it on crutchfield.com too, I would have gotten you the link for it too, but the internet connection sucks here in Spain. lol :p

69Mach1351w

Established Member
damn, the service on this forum still amazes me, haha. Thanks for the info, ill be ordering one any day now. Awesome link, and soon i should have my Sansa e 260 up and running. Haha, once i get it to work, ill have a 1.8 inch dvd player. Im putting the full "Hero: Starring Jet Li" on it. Thanks for advice,and guidance!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here's a related question. GREAT INFO FROM YOU FOLKS BY THE WAY!!!!

If you put MP3 files on a CD, will both the '03 and '04 CD players play the files or will just the '04 play them? I want to get the information correct on the website FAQ page and I'm an audio neophyte. LOL!

69Mach1351w

Established Member
my 03 wont read Mp3

Bob, in regards to you question, im pretty sure the 03 stock unit doesnt play MP3. I recently burned a CD in MP3 format by accident, and it just displayed "CD - ROM" and spit the CD out. So based on that im pretty sure it wont play them.

69Mach1351w

Established Member
just to update *** Installed the USA Spec Df Ford 1*** works perfect. Ill try to get some pictures up, if interested where i mounted it, its completely hidden. I bent the tab on the unit, so it sits in the larger of the 2 port holes to the right of the head unit.

Thanks for the great advice and info guys!!

Mark

vipergts281

Established Member
Looked and didn't see it, maybe I am blind.

But does the Circuit City thing charge the iPod?

I am about to order the Neo Ion any day now. I need it before Sept. 14 drive to Chicago. But I'm considering this Circuit City thing just because it is cheaper....just sucks that you can't control the Ipod with the stereo buttons.

Anyway, again, does it charge the iPod?

Thanks.

vipergts281

Established Member
Just ordered the Neo Ion. Can't wait to install it so I can finally stop having the ear phones in while driving....wouldn't of been good for the 11 hour trip to Chicago I have coming up.

Btw, I spoke with a local shop that sells them and he said they installed it in a Mazda and the owner came back that day because he said the sound quality was terrible. Matter of fact, that Mazda owner was in the shop when I was on the phone with them. Hopefully he just got a bad one.

Users who are viewing this thread