Pics - 408 RWHP 99 NA Cobra

99svtvert

Teksid Block with LDC cooling mod; Canton 8 QT Oil Pan; new Fluidyne radiator, Mildly ported and polished FR500 heads; FR500 Valvetrain, FR500 Intake, FR500 CB, JLT and 90mm LMAF, Mezziere Water Pump, MSD Stacker 8, Accufab Dual 60mm TB. T56 and 3.73's.

I now have 2009 miles on this motor and it is running great.

Measured Power: 408 RWHP, 366 RWTQ (408HP is at 7400 RPM). That is 470 HP flywheel.

Street Drivability: Idle is good and steady at 850 RPM with a medium lope. The lope is much more noticable than I expected, given most FR500 cam users feel the idle is fairly near stock. It is not near stock; it rocks the car. However, it is not bothersome at all. Given that I have JBA Shortys and a Catted Prochamber with a FR500 CB, I am somewhat surprised. It is not loud but have a deep "cammed" rumble.

The motor returns to idle even after being run hard with no stalls. Throttle response is like no car I have ever driven. It was outstanding due to the FR500 Intake, but the Accufab made it better. Gas mileage is about the same as stock. The smell of unburnt gas is very noticible until the cats light up (about 5 minutes) probably due to cams. No overheating issues at all.

There is a real lack of torque until 2000 RPM, so driving this car takes some getting used to. Clutch chatter (new Spec Stage 3 with aluminum flywheel), is common until you get used to revving up a little to start rolling. You can get more torque by opening the long runners from the start but the back flow against the butterfly throttle blades in the intake is bad. If you wait until 2000+ you eliminate that noise but pick up some clutch chatter. At 2000 RPM the motor begins to ramp up and you can begin to feel the pull. At 4000-6500 RPM it feels like a Centrifugal Supercharger. When you expect it to start laboring (about 6500) it does not, it just keeps pulling. I frequently lean up against the Rev Limiter (7400 RPM) without thinking I am near it yet. Tune = conservative.

Performance: Outstanding, especially 3000-7000 RPMs. Ran 12.39 @ 116.7 with a poor 60' poor hookup. Now hits 147 MPH in forth at 7400 RPM.

Pictures follow; including hand fabricated mounts for runner control next to Canton PS Tank for those interested and fabricated Alternator brackets (FR500 does not ship with these 2 brackets). I did not like the look of the runner control on the Coil covers. Sorry it rained all day yesterday and the car and engine are smeared. Also notice how short the short runners are; almost like individual TB's.

Ignore my "trick" looking beige air bag on FR500 Steering Wheel; I am going to paint of replace it with black when I get time.

ca1.jpg

ca2.jpg

ca3.jpg

ca4.jpg

ca5.jpg

ca6.jpg

ca7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful setup. :beer: I can't take it anymore. I'm doing the Fr500 cams and valvetrain for Christmas. The only thing I'm doing differently is not using the FR500 intake. I'm going to port my 01 and see what kind of results. Defintely going to port the heads.

Are the FR500 cams the only cams that should be sued with these heads? What I mean is are there better cams to make this combo better?

Nazman

Established Member
Great stuff. I my report is extreamly similar to yours but I do have power all across the bad and my car REALLY comes on o/a 4500 RPMs and does not stops unitl the limiter @ 7750 RPMs.

My idle is just like you describe it. For the un-trainied ear...it may be stock, but there is that lope and rocks the car just a bit a the lights.

The FR500 intake is a wonderfull thing. Best money I pend on my combo.

Naz

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
badass!!!!!!! man sometimes i really wish i went that route instead of the KB

what seats are those BTW

UCBeau

i keep wanting to do the FR500 intake but rigging the runner controls would be a PITA due to the already crowded supercharger setup.

Double"O" said:

what seats are those BTW

Gimme a break man. I'd take the KB any day and you have some awesome numbers with it.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Gimme a break man. I'd take the KB any day and you have some awesome numbers with it.

while i love the low end TQ my KB provides i am still more impressed with N/A cars making 400+ with less than 300 cubes

deep down inside though i wish i would have went Turbo

Double"O" said:
while i love the low end TQ my KB provides i am still more impressed with N/A cars making 400+ with less than 300 cubes

deep down inside though i wish i would have went Turbo

I'm starting to fall in love with the Hellion systems. Unfortunately, I have a Vortech still laying around in the basement and will have to put it back on when this motor fails. Which hopefully won't be until I crack 200k.

99svtvert

Double"O" said:

what seats are those BTW

Recaro Sports (same as Cobra-R exactly) except I got some biege in them to match the interior. BTW, the drivers seat has a fan and heater, and very useful pump up/release lumbar adjustment and the seat front extends out for long legged drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

99svtvert

Nazman said:
Great stuff. I my report is extreamly similar to yours but I do have power all across the bad and my car REALLY comes on o/a 4500 RPMs and does not stops unitl the limiter @ 7750 RPMs.

My idle is just like you describe it. For the un-trainied ear...it may be stock, but there is that lope and rocks the car just a bit a the lights.

The FR500 intake is a wonderfull thing. Best money I pend on my combo.

Naz

Naz, I think 4.10s or 4.30's would solve the clutch chatter below 2000 RPM issue.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
Looks great blksnake99, I hope you enjoy this setup.

My buddy, who happens to be my dentist, sunk $7000 into rebuilding a 99-01' Cobra motor (ie: diamond pistons, etc) for his 98' Cobra and just had it dyno-tuned yesterday (after breakin). After some fine tuning and conservative tweaking, his finally dyno'd at 412rwhp/387tq. He is almost as happy with his as you are with yours.

Congratulations and it looks real good. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread