Throwback pic/vids from '01 - '00 R and Proto Lincoln

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
I was going through some old photos and videos today and came across a few that were pretty cool when looking back. Unfortunately, they were taken at night or at night and in the rain and cameras back then were not what they were today.

I'm still looking for the photos I posted here in early - mid 2002 of a "M" plate 2003 Cobra that I mentioned I had seen and raced on the street. No one believed me until I came across it the next day and got photos of it.

I met the guy with the 2000 Cobra R in 2001. I was 21 at the time and thought he must be rich. He was probably a few years older than me. He and his brother both had 2000 R's. This video was August 2001 and the car already had 4,8XX miles. They both beat the life out of them and always street raced them. One time, the police came and everyone scattered. We hit the curb and the front splitter shattered.

30006bfb-d09f-4746-a44d-eda802231845_zps58844d64.jpg

For some reason the photobucket videos look worse than the saved ones. On the in-car video, I can clearly read the speedo.

Giving a Fox Body the leave

th_MOV00011_zps544c8bd5.jpg

Another race from inside

th_MOV00005_zps17dc6d36.jpg

Prototype Lincoln LS - 4.6 4V, manual trans, big brakes

DSC00103_zpsafb0c630.jpg

DSC00108_zpsdf48848c.jpg

DSC00111_zps727a29d6.jpg

DSC00099_zps6dec5b31.jpg

DSC00097_zps0662830a.jpg

DSC00100_zps4a923a25.jpg

DSC00098_zpsd757dbd0.jpg

Revving Video

th_MOV00112_zps624c2c1a.jpg

- Rick

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Damn I wish they'd made the LS with a 4.6.. I have an LS and LOVE the car to death, but it's English designed, and I HATE that.. I hate the stupid Jag 3.9. The rest of the car is just awesome though..

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
thats cool! I'M actually looking for a lincoln LS right now for a nice beater/ daily driver!

Don't do it... I ****ing LOVE my LS to death.. One of the nicest highway cars I have ever been in. Light, quick, handles awesome ( IRS, Coilovers, )
but, they have serious ****ing issues, are ****s to work on, and parts are ungodly expensive.. If they'd had a Ford Drivetrain instead of this stupid Jaguar Shit, I'd buy extras because I love them so much, but the way they are, they are NOT a good DD unless you get a bulletproof aftermarket warranty..

Here's mine. It's in storage for the winter while I drive my 3rd car.

Easter 2 by BLWNBYU, on Flickr

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Someone dug up this article on the LS..

Back in '01, I was in the midst of a series of articles regarding the 'improvement' of a 390 FE engine for Mustang Illustrated Magazine. To go along with the dozen articles I did for that series, I also did a two part on improving the C-6 transmission. To do so I talked to some Ford guys regarding a kit that was going to be offered to both beef-up and create new ratios for first gear. And I put in a Gear Vendors OD unit.

I ultimately linked up with an engineer who was able to supply the C-6 kit although he was primarily involved with some prototype work at one of the McLaren installations in Livonia. He asked me to meet him there.

When I got there, I was given a guided tour of two projects that they were working on for Ford. One was a seriously turbo'd little English thing with all-wheel drive that'd eat Corvettes for lunch. It weighed about 1800 pounds and with the boost turned up would make more than 500 horsepower. They had two of them there---both in running shape.

The more interesting things were a pair of LS's---into which they were installing five litre versions of the four cam 4.6. The engines had been tuned to about 480 HP.

In order to use the production hood, it was necessary to use a 'low' intake manifold. They'd had several of them cast-up from magnesium and although they were 'squashed', I was assured that they flowed as good as the taller plastic production pieces.

The one on which they were expending effort had the engine installed---with no intake manifold---and they were in process of fitting exhaust components. And they were using an automatic transmission. At that time I was told that it was 'a week or ten days' away from being buttoned-up and drivable. They were working on the passenger side and had the right fender off to facilitate what they were doing in that area.

Figuring 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', I asked if I might be privileged to drive it, briefly, at sometime in the near future. Instead of having my request rejected out-of-hand, I was told to check back with my contact---'in a couple of weeks'.

To make a long story short, I did have the chance to drive it for several blocks, in close proximity to the shop there in the industrial area and along Plymouth road.

The pictures above might well be that car except for the transmission. Perhaps it's the other car that was there that day. As far as I noticed, everything was in working order. Although I didn't try to lean on it very hard, the acceleration was EXCELLENT.

With the combo of the spray and methanol and the addition of the pair of turbos to my own '02 I'll be satisfied. (I bought it new the next summer---about a year after the first test drive!)

KS
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks Blog this Post
February 1st, 2014, 11:20 PM #28
cammerfe
Status Online
Senior LVC Member

Thanks
View photos by cammerfe
You'll notice that the rotor design is two-piece, with a center 'hat' and a rotor that bolts on around the circumference. Common racing lay-out. The 'hat' is probably aluminium.

KS
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Blog this Post
February 1st, 2014, 11:20 PM #29
blwnbyu
Status Online
Senior LVC Member

Thanks
Quote Originally Posted by cammerfe View Post
Back in '01, I was in the midst of a series of articles regarding the 'improvement' of a 390 FE engine for Mustang Illustrated Magazine. To go along with the dozen articles I did for that series, I also did a two part on improving the C-6 transmission. To do so I talked to some Ford guys regarding a kit that was going to be offered to both beef-up and create new ratios for first gear. And I put in a Gear Vendors OD unit.

I ultimately linked up with an engineer who was able to supply the C-6 kit although he was primarily involved with some prototype work at one of the McLaren installations in Livonia. He asked me to meet him there.

When I got there, I was given a guided tour of two projects that they were working on for Ford. One was a seriously turbo'd little English thing with all-wheel drive that'd eat Corvettes for lunch. It weighed about 1800 pounds and with the boost turned up would make more than 500 horsepower. They had two of them there---both in running shape.

The more interesting things were a pair of LS's---into which they were installing five litre versions of the four cam 4.6. The engines had been tuned to about 480 HP.

In order to use the production hood, it was necessary to use a 'low' intake manifold. They'd had several of them cast-up from magnesium and although they were 'squashed', I was assured that they flowed as good as the taller plastic production pieces.

The one on which they were expending effort had the engine installed---with no intake manifold---and they were in process of fitting exhaust components. And they were using an automatic transmission. At that time I was told that it was 'a week or ten days' away from being buttoned-up and drivable. They were working on the passenger side and had the right fender off to facilitate what they were doing in that area.

Figuring 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', I asked if I might be privileged to drive it, briefly, at sometime in the near future. Instead of having my request rejected out-of-hand, I was told to check back with my contact---'in a couple of weeks'.

To make a long story short, I did have the chance to drive it for several blocks, in close proximity to the shop there in the industrial area and along Plymouth road.

The pictures above might well be that car except for the transmission. Perhaps it's the other car that was there that day. As far as I noticed, everything was in working order. Although I didn't try to lean on it very hard, the acceleration was EXCELLENT.

With the combo of the spray and methanol and the addition of the pair of turbos to my own '02 I'll be satisfied. (I bought it new the next summer---about a year after the first test drive!)

KS

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
Someone dug up this article on the LS..

KS

Thanks for posting that, very cool!

Now that I read it, I do recall the person who had it mention it was a larger bore/stroke.

It really was very cool car. I know somewhere I have videos from inside the car and it revved extremely quick.

-Rick

R-CODE

Established Member
I remember as well the; if i recall there is a pic of the two '00R in a drive way one if front of the other...did they live in westland also?

Gotti

alidsm

Established Member
Damn I wish they'd made the LS with a 4.6.. I have an LS and LOVE the car to death, but it's English designed, and I HATE that.. I hate the stupid Jag 3.9. The rest of the car is just awesome though..

This, loved my LS but hated the motor between the shock towers

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Don't do it... I ****ing LOVE my LS to death.. One of the nicest highway cars I have ever been in. Light, quick, handles awesome ( IRS, Coilovers, )
but, they have serious ****ing issues, are ****s to work on, and parts are ungodly expensive.. If they'd had a Ford Drivetrain instead of this stupid Jaguar Shit, I'd buy extras because I love them so much, but the way they are, they are NOT a good DD unless you get a bulletproof aftermarket warranty..

Here's mine. It's in storage for the winter while I drive my 3rd car.

Easter 2 by BLWNBYU, on Flickr

car looks amazing with the jag rims, got anymore pics?

And thats shity to hear because ive always wanted a Lincoln Ls SINCE THEY CAME OUT NEW IN 2000!! :nonono::bash::shrug:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
car looks amazing with the jag rims, got anymore pics?

And thats shity to hear because ive always wanted a Lincoln Ls SINCE THEY CAME OUT NEW IN 2000!! :nonono::bash::shrug:

It sucks because I love this car so much I'd keep buying low mile ones.. the car is incredible to drive.. its just the when will it break part :-(

stroked mach

Established Member
they way the Ls should have came and I would want a ford escape with a sc focuse motor with the sixspeed also Im going to build one one day lol

Stang Lover

Established Member
Wood grain shift knob! :rockon:

Seriously though that would be a baadd lincoln if it made production with the 4V 5L. especially in the time it was in.

Users who are viewing this thread