I have FSS (floppy seatbelt syndrome)

Thanx SVT

Established Member
The retract mechanism on my driver's side seatbelt is pretty weak... to the point that I now have to help guide the seatbelt back in while retracting. Even then it doesn't always retract fully. I'm sure the belt itself is not twisted or anything, so I'm guessing the retract spring is just weak or something along those lines.

Before I take it apart and poke around, has anyone figured out how to fix the issue?

KCRN12

Established Member
Do you have it running through the little guide on the seat by the headrest? A lot of times if you just take it out of there it'll take away enough resistance to retract it on its own. Mine's been out of the guide since I got the car...

fast ford brian

Established Member
I have only had 1 car out of a dozen the seat belts worked good in.If some one can figure out a fix it it would be awesome.Even my 05 truck is starting to get FSS.

Cobranator

Established Member
I've had the same problem for quite a few years now, I have to feed it back in, and no, the seat belt is not twisted. It seems to be a common problem. Years ago I asked about the same problem on another forum but got no answers,and I never did get around to taking the side panel out to look at the retractor to see if it can be fixed so I'm assuming getting a new seatbelt/retractor would be an only option:shrug:.

I just learned to live with it, maybe one of these days when I feel energetic enough :eek: I'll take out the side panel to look at the retractor mechanism and see what exactly is the problem.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
Look around on the net, I would but its hard off my phone. I have/had the same problem and basicly its just worn out. There is a write up floating around showing how to take it apart and 'wind' it up. You have to very carefull cause if you mess up it will come completly uncoiled(found out the hard way and its a bitch to put back)

Guizá

Established Member
You're not alone. I too suffer from FSS.

alcoholics.jpg

svtrickey

Established Member
I have a good set of front black 96cobra seats belts if any of you are to scared to take yours apart. PM me and I'll sell my old ones to you.

Users who are viewing this thread