Weight reduction....

corysmach1

Established Member
I was hoping there was a sticky on here for what to take off and how much it weighs, but i dont see one. I have a procharged 96 cobra making 436-412 with 410s. Im trying to lighten the car up a little bit...i just got weld pro stars which should help a lot i hope...especially going from from chrome fr500 18s. I am also going to get Corbeau Cr1s or A4s so hopefully that will shed some weight also. I know a tubular front end will help a lot but thats not in the budget right now. I will take off the front sway bar to help the car squat. SO....what can i take off the car or outta the car to lighten it up within reason. I will not take the a/c off. My goal is 11.30-11.40 at 120 or so....thanks guys.

Last edited:

corysmach1

Established Member
passenger seat, damper on rear end, front and rear bumper beams...

I love how the rear seat delete looks but my nephews love to ride in the car so i will keep all seats intact....going with Corbeaus should shed some weight. Also what is the rear end dampner you speak of and how much does it weigh? And are you talking about the styrofaom beams?

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
the damper thing hangs under the differential and its probably 10ish lbs. and i was talking about the metal part of the bumper. There is a company that makes them out of aluminum but those are expensive. if you remove those you might as well remove the rear quarter panel crash braces too. lol. just lay under the car a while and you will find some stuff to take off :)

corysmach1

Established Member
the damper thing hangs under the differential and its probably 10ish lbs. and i was talking about the metal part of the bumper. There is a company that makes them out of aluminum but those are expensive. if you remove those you might as well remove the rear quarter panel crash braces too. lol. just lay under the car a while and you will find some stuff to take off :)

How much do the front and rear bumper beams weigh?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea they will help alot. The difference is huge from what I've seen.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I personally do not recommend removing the metal bumper beams. Those are there for a reason, mostly in the event of a head on collision.

The damper in the rear is a good one. Decent chunk of metal that seems really useless.

In the future when the budget permits, aluminum drive shaft and aluminum fly wheel. Remove rotational mass and free up a tiny bit of horsepower. Relocate you battery from front to rear. While it doesn't remove weight it redistributes it where you need it. Thats the disadvantage of removing the spare tire and jack. Having that weight on the rear tires helps your car squat and get traction.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Im just giving ideas, not saying i would take out the bumpers. only if it was an all out drag car with a cage.

There is also a metal plate above the drivers knees that could be taken out. oh and the little metal belt tensioner cover lol

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I removed my front bumper and replaced it with a Donathan Racing bar.. saved probably 30lbs off the nose.. Mind you I only drive my car maybe 20-40miles a week..

corysmach1

Established Member
Yes guys the beams will stay in place....as this is a street car, i drive it a lot. Rarely do i have my nephews with me but it only takes one time.

Users who are viewing this thread