Evolution of a 97 Cobra

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I bought my 97 Cobra in April of 2005 and started off with a stock car other than a K&N air filter and 98 Cobra wheels. I added a Hurst shifter, 4:10 gears , Flowmaster American Thunder catback, custom H pipe and Eibach lowering springs and wider [at the time] 275-40-17's for the rear. Life was good and I wasn't going to do anything else. Yeah right... I picked up a short runner intake and IMRC deletes from na_svt and the following summer I picked up a Vortech V2SQ and put that on. Non intercooled and a crappy tune left me less than impressed so the following spring I installed a larger fuel pump. #42 injectors, intercooler and a dyno tune that netted me 452rwhp and 378tq that lasted to fall 2010.

IMG_0841-1.gif

Not bad for a stock engine. Over the winter of 2010/2011my ECU lost its tune and a trip over to the dyno was required to get it running again so I decided to gather parts for a "C" head swap and a N/A build. I also installed Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms and a panhard bar tightening up the rear end. This past winter the ECU lost its tune again and the car was pouring fuel into the engine and out the exhaust. Another trip to the dyno got it running well again making the same hp. The following day after a 3-4 pull I heard a rattling/knocking and saw shiny particles when I dumped the oil. I ended up spinning a couple of bearings so I was undecided on finding an engine or doing a build. A friend of my father contacted me who had a 4V out of an 03 Aviator with 10,000 miles for $1300. I grabbed it and installed my FR500 intake and ditched the Vortech and installed a Magnaflow catback less tails which is how the car sits now.

IMG_3045.jpg

stephens.png

Mod List

Engine:
03 Aviator long block
FR500 intake with 96-98 style lid ported & polished by na_svt off of SVTP
1/2'' intake spacer by GMsux off of SVTP
JLT CAI
ARH Header with 1-3/4" Primaries, 2-1/2" Merge Collectors, 2 1/2 X-Pipe (With Cats)
JLT oil separator
COP swap harness from The Red Monster off of SVTP

Trans:
Stock T45/clutch
Pro 5.0 shifter

Rear:
99 IRS with FTBR bushings
03 Cobra 31 spline carrier/axles
MM front IRS brace
rear Billit Flow brace

Interior:

Florida 5.0 dash gauge bezel
Autometer water temp/oil pressure gauges
UPR Billet shifter trim ring
Redline??? Cobra floor mats

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I bought a IRS out of a 99 Cobra that was upgraded with 31 spline axles and carrier, 4:56 gears, Billitflow rear brace and Maximum Motorsports front cross member brace.

99IRS.gif

For the interior I want to get rid of a couple of gauges and swap in an 03 console and bezel and a newer cd player.

IMG_2261.gif

I also have a T56 w/26 spine input shaft and MGW shifter on hand but I need to have someone checkout the internals before I have it installed and I also need a new clutch and mount so i doubt it will be going in until later in 2012 or 2013.

IMG_2264.gif

IMG_2273.gif

Gauges and pod to be removed

IMG_2276.gif

I may also get rid of the cluster bezel and move these gauges to the radio bezel

IMG_0705.gif

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Looking through my goodies I see I also have subframe connectors and Redline shifter and e-brake boots

IMG_2541.gif

IMG_2299.gif

April of 2012 IRS parts were ordered

Full Tilt Boogie Racing FT5000Complete IRS Bushing Kit Includes FT 1000, FT 1100, FT 1200, FT 1300, FT 1500, FT 1600 and FT 1700 and FT1800 IRS Bumpsteer kit with upgraded toe links.

IRS2012b.gif

Which brought the IRS from this point

IRS2012a.gif

To this point

IRS2-1.gif

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Then we found out that the cross axis joints were beat to pieces

so FTBR FT6100 Cross Axis Joints were ordered

IRS2012c.gif

Which got Humpty Dumpty back together

IRS4.gif

SRA on the floor

SRA2012b.gif

IRS in the air

IRS5.gif

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
For the brakes a adapter "T" fitting and short brake line were ordered from????? Will put the link here when I find it.

photo-1.gif

With the IRS hanging

IRS2012l.gif

How close the tires are to the side bolts with suspension hanging. 315-35-17's on 17x11" 95 Cobra R's

IRS2012h.gif

IRS2012i.gif

On the ground

IRS2012j.gif

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I missed the s/c for a few days but that feeling went away pretty quick. If I had a built engine I would of put it on but I wasn't interested in another ticking time bomb.

brucesvt

Established Member
very nice have been a fan of your car for a while. how do you like the Billitflow rear brace? thinking of getting one for my car

when the extra parts go on sale pm me please want to get some parts for my brothers car

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
very nice have been a fan of your car for a while. how do you like the Billitflow rear brace? thinking of getting one for my car

when the extra parts go on sale pm me please want to get some parts for my brothers car

Thanks:beer: The BF brace came with the IRS so I assume it is doing its job.

I'll keep the thread updated when parts are available. I have had a lot of local interest so if I can move them without shipping that will be my first choice.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
It is a Ford Racing FR500 intake ported & polished by na_svt. It is a "C" head intake that came with either a "B" styled lid to accept the accessories on 96-98's or a 99+"C" style lid.

IMG_2547.gif

FR5002.gif

IMG_2548.gif

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I can't remember the price. We did some trading and a bit of cash. As for powdercoating I'm not planning on it.

Users who are viewing this thread