The truth about cut springs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneN.

Established Member
Alright, I've done a little poking around and searching in the forums and have noticed that for whatever reason we can get away with cutting a little bit of our springs to drop the car without it bouncing around like and 85 riced out civic, right? I now wanna get the specifics ironed out so if you have input or have done this, please chime in.

1) How much did you cut? half coil? whole coil? (pics?)
2) Do you cut the same amount all the way around?
3) Will it handle better? Or at least not make the car feel like sh*t?

Springs are going to cost me 500CAD or more and getting them installed will be another 500CAD (100/ hour). I'd rather switch to a 2.8, buy a local ported blower here and get it tuned for that.

OmahaStang

Established Member
From everything I've read seen people are usually cutting 1/2 a coil and or 3/4 of a coil. There are pics out there however I don't have the links sorry.. I currently have springs sitting in a box and still need to cut them and install them.
Unfortunatly I'll probably have someone install them and as for the cut I'll make I may go between 1/2 and 3/4 of a coil.
((sorry can't speak from experience))

stangsx2

Established Member
I cut 1 coil off my 89GT years ago and the ride SUCKS! Hard as rock Hate it! its ok for slow crusing and a run down a quarter mile and it hooks up but wish I would of done it right!
My 2 cents

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The springs from your 89 GT are way different than the 03-04 Cobra springs. The terminator's springs are linear rate....cutting them won't change the spring rate. So they won't get any stiffer by cutting them. I cut my springs 3/4 a coil all around and it looks perfect....

T.Bone

Established Member
Like Postban said, 3/4 coil in back and 1/2 up front.

I have not noticed much difference in the ride, It feels like the rear is a little stiffer than before but it still rides good.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
correctumundo

96stanggt said:
The springs from your 89 GT are way different than the 03-04 Cobra springs. The terminator's springs are linear rate....cutting them won't change the spring rate. So they won't get any stiffer by cutting them.....

ShaneN.

Established Member
Thanks guys. Now... I have found a pair of eibach pro's for 200 CAD off a local guy. They have like 10k ish km's on them, I'd assume.

How similar will the ride look to just cutting them? The Eibachs don't sit low enough for me so I was thinking I was going to cut them a little bit, but then why wouldn't I just go ahead and cut the stock springs? Will the 1/2 coil and 3/4 coil cut make it lower than the eibach pro's?

Friendchicken

Shane, let me know if you want to cut the stock springs. I have a set off my cobra that you can take off me for a small fee. I live in vancouver (EatonInside on VM). May make it easier to have them cut before you do the install and have give you a backup set incase you don't like them.

ShaneN.

Established Member
are you making 450 without a pulley? and how much for those stock springs?

I think I remember you, you're the computer tech guy or something of the sort right? Wanna shoot me some pm's on the s281 look you have going on and how it sits with the h&r's?

back on topic:

I'm not sure if I'm going to cut the stock springs

orrrr just use the eibachs

orrrr cut the eibachs (but why not just cut the stockers then?)

where is the cheapest place to get h&r's also?

Last edited:

04CobraDean

Banned
ShaneN. said:
are you making 450 without a pulley? and how much for those stock springs?

I think I remember you, you're the computer tech guy or something of the sort right? Wanna shoot me some pm's on the s281 look you have going on and how it sits with the h&r's?

back on topic:

I'm not sure if I'm going to cut the stock springs

orrrr just use the eibachs

orrrr cut the eibachs (but why not just cut the stockers then?)

where is the cheapest place to get h&r's also?

I've been through both scenarios.....I cut my stock springs and then bought Eibachs. I cut 3/4 of a coil off of the front stock springs then it sat too low. I had also cut 3/4 coil off of the rear stock springs and they were perfect. Going 1/2 coil in front and 3/4 coil in the rear would have been perfect.

I couldn't live with the front tires rubbing the fenders so I bought Eibachs. I installed them and now the front is perfect and the rear is now higher than stock! So I am either going to cut the Eibachs in the rear only to lower them, or just reinstall my stock cut springs which were the perfect height.

ShaneN.

Established Member
/\ how did the stock springs ride? it seems like a drop spring would be a stiffer spring so if you just cut the stock ones, there would be less for them to travel but they're too cushy so it'd bottom out more... does that make sense? seems like a lot of you have tried this method though..

Can you guys all post your pics of cut springs and how much you cut the stock ones. I'd like to see how it sits. If it's going to ride good still, I don't see why I don't just do this since if I grab the Eibachs I'll want to cut the rears anyways....

Last edited:

T.Bone

Established Member
I purchased the stock springs from a MCT member that did the same thing to his car. I had him cut them like postban posted. The car seems to ride and handle very well, but I haven't had the chance to put many miles on it since I installed them to tell you much more.

I like the look it gave the car, my main goal was to get rid of the rake. I wanted the car to sit level. My recommedation would be to purchase a set of stock springs and cut them and see if you like the ride. You are looking at about 50.00 - 75.00 and around 2 hours of install time.

Picture with cut springs w/stock isolators, cut 1/2 coil in front and 3/4 coil in rear.
newsprings.jpg

ShaneN.

Established Member
/\ thanks for the picture.

i have been searching and searching through threads and have found lotss of people pleased with a full coil all the way around.

this is the picture with 1 coil cut, all around. stock iso's..

picture014.jpg

OmahaStang

Established Member
From what I've read 1 full coil is a bit much.. I'm debating between 1/2 and 3/4 but in the end I think I may go with just shy of 3/4

kennycoulter

Established Member
after cutting, do you guys paint the end that has exposed metal? if so, what kind of paint? does the end not flex enough to let the paint flake off? still use the stock spring isolaters? my first mustang(85 gt) just had the isolaters removed without cutting springs and dropped it about 1/2 inch, but had some noise with extra weight in car.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
jimwood said:
You have to be one broke MO-FO not to be able to afford lowering springs. :D

It's not about not being able to afford them...it's about not needing to waste the money on a set of springs when cutting them is the same thing. Our springs aren't like previous years where when you cut them they get stiffer and ride like shit.....and with the $200 I saved on buying a set of springs I'll just go buy something else to make sure you continue to see my taillights.... :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread