cutting coils?

i8urSS

Established Member
how hard is it to cut the stock springs? i mean it sounds easy but what really goes into it? and how hard are they to get in and out. is it worth cutting and do i need to get c/c plates when i do it? thanks

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Vert springs.....

For a Vert:
1/2 coil cut coupe springs
M.M. welded in full length sub-frame connectors
B.F. Diff. Cover, flush / fill the R. Diff.
M.M. C/C Plates
Bruce's full R. Bushing kit, w/ 9/16 Bolts and R. Bumpsteer kit if possible
4 wheel alignment w. bumpsteer
Your Vert. is now a much different, better car, with no wheel-hop, and ready for anything you want to throw at it. I know, I did it, and glad I did!!!
Good luck!!!!

SLPRCTM

Established Member
For a Vert:
1/2 coil cut coupe springs
M.M. welded in full length sub-frame connectors
B.F. Diff. Cover, flush / fill the R. Diff.
M.M. C/C Plates
Bruce's full R. Bushing kit, w/ 9/16 Bolts and R. Bumpsteer kit if possible
4 wheel alignment w. bumpsteer
Your Vert. is now a much different, better car, with no wheel-hop, and ready for anything you want to throw at it. I know, I did it, and glad I did!!!
Good luck!!!!

X2!

I did the same thing except used Global-West competition sub-frame connectors with a jacking rail and seat brackets along with front and rear Eibach sway bars. Performs like a completely different car. Handles extremely well on the street.

metaman

Established Member
Here is what they will turn out if you go one full coil all the way around. FYI, I had a set of caster camber plates ready to install and I sold them. The car handles great with the stock cut springs and full length subs. It handled like s--t with the cut springs and no subframes installed. The tire wear on the front was nice and even and the car does not track around on uneven pavement. My conclusion is that the caster camber plates are not nessesary unless you are totally anal about maximizing suspension geometry. You will however need some of the MM adjustable sway bar endlinks for the rear sway bar on the IRS.

CobraLowered002.jpg

CobraLowered003.jpg

metaman

Established Member
Oh, and to answer the original question, how hard it is fully depends on your level of mechanical ability and experience. It is not cut and dry. I had a friend help me out that is a mechanic at a Lincoln Dealer. I had never removed springs from a car before. If I had not had the coach standing behind me then I would probably not have been able to do it quite so easily. If you are going to put in the caster camber plates, then when the springs are out is the time to do it.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
metaman..looks awesome! I want mine to sit like that.

oh and you did one full coil, with all ISO's in place, correct?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread