AC427s delrin bushing kit, my 2 month impression!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Been giving it a a couple months "testing" before I posted my impressions of Bruce's IRS bushing kit. All I can say is the kit has to be one of the best mods I have done to the car besides the whipple.

Prior to the bushing kit, I had a very squirly feeling to the car, say on a 3rd gear roll full boost 20-22 psi, the whole rearend felt like it was moving around in the cradle....never did like that feeling. I knew when this happened, it had to be the amount of rubber in the IRS. Secondly, I did struggle with wheel hop on occasion...not anymore.

My car has MM coilovers (Fnt 375 / Rear 575 springs) with MM sport bilsteins and handles like it's on rails with Bruce's kit. No change in NVH. Plants the 630 rwhp perfecly AND predictably unlike before. You can feel the articulation of the suspension is greatly enhanced. Cornering is a thing of beauty. Zero noise.

I only did the delrin/UHMW and aluminum bsuhings. Kept the stock sway bar end links and stock tie rods.

Overall just wanted to give an honest opinion after a few months of driving the beast. Special thanks to Bruce and all of his outstanding advice / customer service.

Lastly Bruce....I still need to return the rented tools, sorry for the delay! I will do quickly, just has skipped my mind due to a hectic schedule. :beer:

Pics: Notice the gloss back powdercoat on the subframe!

DSCN3873.jpg

DSCN3880.jpg

DSCN3884.jpg

DSCN3893.jpg

DSCN3894.jpg

DSCN3898.jpg

DSCN3900.jpg

DSCN3901.jpg

DSCN3902.jpg

DSCN3904.jpg

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Thanks for the writeup. That powdercoat job looks awesome.

What did you use to clean up the lower arms? The uppers look they got powder too?

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
actually before i found my powdercoater, i had cleaned, prepped, primed, and painted my upper controls arms in black gloss engine enamel and lower control arms in silver engine enamel. After 3 non stop days of damn prep work, i found an awesome local powdercoater that did my subframe. I only wish i had found them prior to doing all that work on the UCAs/LCAs.

Last edited:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
as said before.....the uppers and lowers not powdercoated. here is a pic of some of the priming process prior to spraying 3 coats of engine enamel. the LCA on left is primed, the one on right is just cleaned and stripped (wirewheel on drill used) a bit.

DSCN3864.jpg

DSCN3868.jpg

Last edited:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i have bruces kit as well.... it turns an ok handling car into an amazing handling car.

like you said, it plants the back of the car to the ground and gets rid of wheel hop and any squirlyness!!!

bruce is the man:bowdown:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Looks great.,., I will have to do this soon :thumbsup:

anyone know if there are lighter rear contraol arms for our cars? not realy sure if they are that heavy, was just wonderin'

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Looks great.,., I will have to do this soon :thumbsup:

anyone know if there are lighter rear contraol arms for our cars? not realy sure if they are that heavy, was just wonderin'

I don't believe their are controls arms by themselves. Kenny Brown sells a kit to replace the bushinged stock subframe for a hardmount unit and comes with new control arms with "improved geometry". But honestly, the claimed weight savings and geometric changes aren't worth the expense or the changeover especially when you read through Bruce's experiences with the unit. This IRS is awesome, and this bushing kit is what reveals its true potential. Everyone claims the Cobra IRS is SO heavy and says it sucks...The new Camaro's IRS weighs 390-lbs. Noooo spank you.

Great review and pics OP!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Been giving it a a couple months "testing" before I posted my impressions of Bruce's IRS bushing kit. All I can say is the kit has to be one of the best mods I have done to the car besides the whipple.

Prior to the bushing kit, I had a very squirly feeling to the car, say on a 3rd gear roll full boost 20-22 psi, the whole rearend felt like it was moving around in the cradle....never did like that feeling. I knew when this happened, it had to be the amount of rubber in the IRS. Secondly, I did struggle with wheel hop on occasion...not anymore.

My car has MM coilovers (Fnt 375 / Rear 575 springs) with MM sport bilsteins and handles like it's on rails with Bruce's kit. No change in NVH. Plants the 630 rwhp perfecly AND predictably unlike before. You can feel the articulation of the suspension is greatly enhanced. Cornering is a thing of beauty. Zero noise.

I only did the delrin/UHMW and aluminum bsuhings. Kept the stock sway bar end links and stock tie rods.

Overall just wanted to give an honest opinion after a few months of driving the beast. Special thanks to Bruce and all of his outstanding advice / customer service.

Lastly Bruce....I still need to return the rented tools, sorry for the delay! I will do quickly, just has skipped my mind due to a hectic schedule. :beer:

Erik:

Thank you for the glowing review and the awesome pics! :-D It reminds of the first time I drove my new modified IRS at Mid-Ohio back in 2004! I was giddy about the way the car handled! :rockon:

There are few things I enjoy more than reading all of the success stories from these bushing kits! I never get tired of hearing it! :) And my favorite line; "BEST MOD BESIDES THE WHIPPLE" :rolling:

No worry on the return of the removal tools. There is no time limit yet! ;-) That day may come though!

Any particular reason why you only did those? How much did just that cost?

Those parts are actually the "Complete IRS Bushing Kit" that we offer. All of the other items are optional items and are not completely necessary. They are more like icing on the cake if you will.

Rock on modified IRS Brothers and go spank some Corvettes for me! :burnout:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

twhitey

Established Member
Damn I forgot to send his tools back also. It has been a few months now. I even boxed them back up and emailed him for his info.
This kit was not to bad to install and has no nvh increase that I can notice.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Thanks All!

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I do take pride in my car, and while the IRS was out decided to give her a good cleaning / fresh look.

All I can say is awesome mod to the car....well worth the effort!

If you want to get the most out of the IRS, get a hold of Bruce. By far superior quality and cheaper than the other big name vendors.......

Users who are viewing this thread