Made some rear bump stop relocation brackets

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
EDIT: Go to post # 90 on page 4 for the latest pricing and product info

So I finally got around to removing those big bump stop brackets that would interfere with my widened stock wheels when jacking up the car. I decided I wanted to try and retain some sort of bumpstop out back. I came up with the brackets below that relocate the bumpstops. They relocate the bumpstop so it lines up with the frame rail. The frame rail is narrow, but this should work fine. I drilled a larger hole in the middle that just overlaps the hole at the stock location so air can escape during compression. Pics below are rough cut that I'll shape later on a table grinder. I used 1/4" steel.

bumpstop1.jpg

bumpstop3.jpg

bumpstop2.jpg

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
So I finally got around to removing those big bump stop brackets that would interfere with my widened stock wheels when jacking up the car. I decided I wanted to try and retain some sort of bumpstop out back. I came up with the brackets below that relocate the bumpstops. They are now perpendicular to the axle tube. They relocate the bumpstop so it lines up with the frame rail. The frame rail is narrow, but this should work fine. I drilled a larger hole in the middle that just overlaps the hole at the stock location so air can escape during compression. Pics below are rough cut that I'll shape later on a table grinder. I used 1/4" plate.

bumpstop1.jpg

bumpstop3.jpg

bumpstop2.jpg

That is Nice!!

Do you have a template or are you willing to make a couple more for some $$$?

Thanks, R

DMotorsports

Established Member
You should patent these and sell them. I would buy a set, as would pretty much anyone wanting to run wider wheels or large slicks at the track.

bull3441

Established Member
that's good old fashioned American ingenuity right there. and to think i spent two hours putting my damn hood vents in LOL.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Seems there's some interest in these on other forums. I need to check with a local machine or welding shop to see what they'll charge for some blanks. I can't cut stock this thick at home.

Not sure on other size wheels, but you can do 8.5" back spacing on an 18" wheel with no issues on a stock height or lowered car once you remove the old brackets and shock dust boot. Anymore back spacing and you'll have to mod the lower shock, and run a narrower tire which kind of defeats the purpose.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not sure on other size wheels, but you can do 8.5" back spacing on an 18" wheel with no issues on a stock height or lowered car once you remove the old brackets and shock dust boot. Anymore back spacing and you'll have to mod the lower shock, and run a narrower tire which kind of defeats the purpose.

This is a 12" Alcoa..............

011-1.jpg

BTW - For those who are using Alcoa's, that is a 10" on the front.^^^^^:thumbsup:

Please let me know what you machine shop guy says.

Thanks, R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert, I bet those 12" wide Alcoas weigh a ton. lol

Probably, they are definitely heavier than the 10's that came on the car originally, but I have also added a much larger rear tire to the equation. What would a 2" aluminum band weigh that is added to the inner diameter? That is the real weight that has been added to the wheel and the original forged Alcoa was not a heavy wheel to start with. I would suspect that a 2" wide band in aluminum around the inner diameter is not excessively heavy comparision to the traction gains of a 325 or 335 rear tire. Without traction, the rear wheel weight is not real important, because you are going nowhere in a hurry while the car with traction walks away. The set up looks massive, because it is, 12" of tread/traction surface.

I should have weighed the wheel when I got it back from Weldcraft.......

R

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Here's a finished piece. I gave this to the machinist today. I should have a price this week.

BSBRKT-1.jpg

EDIT: Design is being tweaked just a bit. Should have a price with hardware and shipping next week.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Probably, they are definitely heavier than the 10's that came on the car originally, but I have also added a much larger rear tire to the equation. What would a 2" aluminum band weigh that is added to the inner diameter? That is the real weight that has been added to the wheel and the original forged Alcoa was not a heavy wheel to start with. I would suspect that a 2" wide band in aluminum around the inner diameter is not excessively heavy comparision to the traction gains of a 325 or 335 rear tire. Without traction, the rear wheel weight is not real important, because you are going nowhere in a hurry while the car with traction walks away. The set up looks massive, because it is, 12" of tread/traction surface.

I should have weighed the wheel when I got it back from Weldcraft.......

R

Correct you are, and the reason why I don't worry about the weight of my 18x11" setup with the MT 345s. Before, I spun in 3 gears, now only in first.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I don't see how the bumpstop itself will aid in tire clearance, as the bumpstop is not the issue with wider tires.

:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread