Boss 302 Quad Pipes on a GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They are light and add no power. So why go through the hassle of making the two systems work together? Wouldn't headers be a better move? Why pee standing up?

I'm going to do this one for fun - pure and simple. Making more power isn't the agenda. Sound attenuation and the ability to tune it is. With that said, I picked up a complete exhaust system from a 2012 Boss 302 from Lethal Performance. Two heavy boxes were waiting for me when I got home today.

IMG_8832.jpg

I laid everything out and mocked the system up on my shop floor and made some quick observations

IMG_8833.jpg

This was a take-off system with very few miles on it. The media inside the converters looked factory fresh

IMG_8838.jpg

IMG_8836.jpg

Ford list is $364.06 for the RH converter and $443.70 for the LH (crikey!).

This system necks up/down in diameter a couple of times. Note this smaller section of tubing, just aft of the converters

IMG_8839.jpg

For scale, note my fist size next to the over the axle 2-3/4" section of pipe

IMG_8842.jpg

Then next to the tiny quad pipes

IMG_8841.jpg

IMG_8840.jpg

IMG_8843.jpg

I haven't finalized my decision as to where I'll meld the Boss quad pipes to my pseudo-factory GT500 "H" pipe section yet. There will definitely be some cutting and welding to get them to fit the way I want. Note what Ford wants for the "quad" pipes (callout name 5220), $257.33 for the RH pipe assembly and $298.73 for the LH (crikey times two!). Boss 302 mufflers come in at $233.19 each as well!

ScreenHunter_01Oct031831.gif

The intermediate pipes come in at about $475 for the pair

IMG_8845.jpg

Anyhow, the idea is to be able to bolt on the quad pipes just as they fit on the Boss system. I'll try to follow the factory layout as much as possible...

IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8846.jpg

...which means integrating portions of the Boss' "H" section into the GT500 section ($257.33 just for the factory "H" section)

IMG_8853.jpg

Where the vivisection will occur

IMG_8857.jpg

I was interested to see how this section compared with the same section from the "larger" GT500, so I pulled out an original Shelby GT500KR "H" pipe for comparison

IMG_8859.jpg

Surprising, eh?

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8863.jpg

IMG_8864.jpg

Boss at 2-3/4"

IMG_8865.jpg

GT500/KR at 2-1/2"

IMG_8867.jpg

More tomorrow...

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
This would have never crossed my mind. Very nice comparison and write up as always. How do the pipes leading into the H pipe compare from the GT500 vs Boss? Smaller, bigger, same? Interesting indeed

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
How do the pipes leading into the H pipe compare from the GT500 vs Boss? Smaller, bigger, same? Interesting indeed

I believe they are smaller (on the Boss) as I took a quick look at the two systems.

I also spoke with Quick Time Performance regarding an electric cutout that would fit this system. It hasn't been finalized but their tech dept stated that they could get me a system out. I asked and they sent me out a photo (an early development shot).

quicktimeperformanceBOSS302system.jpg

The above would eliminate having to change plates to add/remove more sound. A digital remote can be added so that you can sit in the car and open or close the valve at will. I dunno whether I'll add it or not but I'd like to.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Very cool. The GT500 appears larger from looking at your picture. Electronic cutouts would be a nice touch. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

pony23

Established Member
Looks like a really cool project. I like this. Can't wait to see it all finished up. :)

cluscher

Established Member
Tob is Mozart of the GT500 world! Can't wait to see how you end up making this work.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
Good luck with the install. Looks like a giant CF of piping. Has to be the better half of 500 lbs with all that piping. I am sure it will look good, but damn.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
So cool. An electric cutout would be sick. Last open track event there was a Boss running laps too (don't ask how it performed, he wasn't fast, I guess because of the driver) & it sounded pretty good as it was.

What a fun project, congrats on a really neat idea.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good luck with the install. Looks like a giant CF of piping. Has to be the better half of 500 lbs with all that piping. I am sure it will look good, but damn.

The total weight of the two packages was 135 pounds. I could not believe how heavy everything was - except for the quad pipes. They weigh next to nothing. The stock Boss 302 mufflers are very heavy. I'll weigh them when I get home.

I still have to finish up loose ends with my H/E install...

bossnova3

Established Member
Jejejejej funny thing is I just finished installing 2 QTP exhaust cutouts on my home made H-pipe with LT dynatechs it sounds amazing you'll love it... I love mine, people go crazy looking for which car sounds like that specially when you go buy with them open and then come back with the system closed it's awesome and stealthy

Users who are viewing this thread