2004 Cobra Gauge cluster not lighting up at Night

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
OK Guys let's see what we can do. Well I just bought the Cobra and working out all the details. Well seems the Gauge cluster is not lighting up at nite while the headlight switch is on. Yes I checked all the relays and fuses all ok. Took the cluster apart and all bulbs seem ok .
DSC01694.jpg

DSC01684.gif

As we all know the SVT cluster is an insert which the Green light that shows at nite driving is from the rear insert.
I don't know what is wrong with my cluster took it all apart bulbs seem ok and power is getting to my cluster because all gauges work just fine except for the night driving it looks like this.
DSC01706.gif

The rear of the insert seems fine no cut or burned wires
DSC01692.gif

I jumpered up some Duracel batterys a total of 16Volts for direct contact and no light up. I also wired the car battery for direct contact on the insert and nothing. I know quite a bit of sodering and boards but don't know guys any suggestions or past experience out there with same problem. I don't wanna buy another cluster just for the darn light.

Last edited:

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
cluster lights dont come on, normal malfunction, replace instrument cluster gauge pod. there is no repair for the p.o.c. i know of.

yosemiddysam

03 Cobra Vert 10th Anniv.
Established Member
Crestview Fl. Grew up in the good ole Dub V
I know it sounds like a stupid question but is the head light switch turned all the way to the left? This is a way of dimming the lights. By turning the switch from the left to right, right being the brightest. Not trying to say your dumb or anything.....just a shot in the dark.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I had the same problem and performed quite a bit of troubleshooting as well. Then one night the cluster illuminated. Sometimes it doesn't still. Very irritating. So my interim fix is a 12 volt LED strip which I can plug into the accessory outlet and place it between the cluster bezel and cluster.

I contacted the manufacturer of the cluster and asked for assistance with repair/troubleshooting and they were not much help in the end. i even offered to send the cluster to their location and let them know that the problem is fairly common.

They give a Schitt because Ford paid them already for those parts and they do not normally deal with the end user.

Good luck

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
I know it sounds like a stupid question but is the head light switch turned all the way to the left? This is a way of dimming the lights. By turning the switch from the left to right, right being the brightest. Not trying to say your dumb or anything.....just a shot in the dark.

Yes I thought that was the problem at first. The switch works fine the headlights are working and the dimmer is dimming the radio and A/C lights.

Last edited:

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
:dw:

QUOTE=Fastlane Cobra;8677407]
Good luck[/QUOTE]

Who did you contact Visteon? Did you talk to the dealer see what they offered? I thought of also just installing an LED light behind the cluster but IDK. How does yours look with the LED's? I don't think it's the insert itself that got screwed. I don't think 12 volts are supplied to that insert in order to illuminate it's less I gave it 16 and then 12 volts and nothing.Gonna try sodering some wires from the back of the board where the insert gets it's power see what happens. I have Mitchell on Demand gonna see if they have the wiring for the 04 Cobra.

Last edited:

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
Insert

So you cannot change the color of the guage cluster without changing the insert? or are the bulbs colored?

It uses no bulbs to illuminate the cluster it's not like the GT cluster. The SVT cluster uses an insert to illuminate the gauges and bulbs for turn signals and all acc.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
It uses no bulbs to illuminate the cluster it's not like the GT cluster. The SVT cluster uses an insert to illuminate the gauges and bulbs for turn signals and all acc.

It is called electroluminescent lighting - [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescence]Electroluminescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I contacted Visteon using numbers on their website under "Contact Us" and called around until I got someone. Eventually I had to write a detailed email explaining everything and I did get an automated reply. Nothing further just aggravation.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I had this problem, ended up just being a wire that was ran under my dash had a shitty crip connector i was kicking and causin it to go off or back on. I know it sounds stupid but thats what it was for me lol!

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I had this problem, ended up just being a wire that was ran under my dash had a shitty crip connector i was kicking and causin it to go off or back on. I know it sounds stupid but thats what it was for me lol!

More details please on the wire. Was it one wire in a cable harness or a single standalone wire? What approximate location? near fuse box or along the side closer to the kick panel. I am guessing that is where my problem is also. I ran a wire for the fuel pump upgrade from the battery to the trunk and I had to bring it through the firewall under the driverside below the dash board.

How did you determine that the loose contact was the problem - was the cluster flickering as you moved your feet? Anyhow good troubleshooting!!!!!

Last edited:

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
Yes which wire exactly maybe we can get to the bottom of this. I went to the dealer they just told me to replace the whole cluster and get it over with we have it for $399.99 or we can diagnose the problem for $89.95 WTF!!! F**king A Holes man the D**k head talked like I Shit money!! Mother Furniture Son of a Biscuit !!!

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I've been looking off and on about the Electroluminescent lighting, from what it sounds like the inverter took a dump. I'm curious if there is a comparable aftermarket one that can be slaved in for troubleshooting? I'm poking around as well. Info seems to be scarce. Not to mention Visteon makes it pretty clear they will not provide additional documentation for their products. Poooooo!

Last edited:

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
Yes

I've been looking off and on about the Electroluminescent lighting, from what it sounds like the inverter took a dump. I'm curious if there is a comparable aftermarket one that can be slaved in for troubleshooting? I'm poking around as well. Info seems to be scarce. Not to mention Visteon makes it pretty clear they will not provide additional documentation for their products. Poooooo!

Maybe a real good electrition can do some sort of magic. Do we have any good electritions here on board? Anyone Anyone Bueller Bueller.

Last edited:

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I believe the inverter converts it from dc to ac. so applying dc voltage will do nothing. If you will need to find out what the voltage is coming out of that inverter. You could call speedhut or another aftermarket gauge manufacturer. They use this technology in their green glow back lighting in their gauges. See if they could give you some pointers. speedjut sells inverters for thier gauges. they also have one to change the colors. If you called them about thier part and asked to speak with one their techs I bet you could get some where toward getting this fixed relativly cheap.

If I had to guess I'd say it was the inverter and not the backlighting part.

here is a link to speedhut's inverter.
http://www.speedhut.com/product_detail-AUTO_NUMBER-367.htm

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I believe the inverter converts it from dc to ac. so applying dc voltage will do nothing. If you will need to find out what the voltage is coming out of that inverter. You could call speedhut or another aftermarket gauge manufacturer. They use this technology in their green glow back lighting in their gauges. See if they could give you some pointers. speedjut sells inverters for thier gauges. they also have one to change the colors. If you called them about thier part and asked to speak with one their techs I bet you could get some where toward getting this fixed relativly cheap.

If I had to guess I'd say it was the inverter and not the backlighting part.

here is a link to speedhut's inverter.
Gauge Accessory by SpeedHut

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I was kinda hoping that an electrical surplus store would sell just the inverter. Worst case, it would be worth a try to see what output those aftermarket gauges inverter gives. If that's the case, one would just need a reference voltage from the stock unit for testing/comparison with an aftermarket unit.

Do any other Fords use this lighting setup? Heck, I'm sure another manufacturer has used this before. I bet if we keep digging, we should be able to find a feasible aftermarket fix for this!

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I'm sure you could find a source at a electronics supply type place (not radio shack). but for 11.00 plus shipping I'd try the speedhut unit. He just needs to make sure the voltage is in the same range as stock. The speedhut unit has a dimmer on it which varies this output voltage.

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
Alright guys glad to say my cluster is now working illuminated!!! Took it to a buddy of mine and he hooked me up. If you guys need yours repaired send it to me I'll take it to this guy he will include all parts, crimps and easy wiring instructions so your cluster still illuminates with headlamp switch same on and off. He charged me $120 I told him a couple of guys from the forum needed theirs repaired also he agreed to $95. You guys pay shipping both ways with a prepaid return shipping from FedEx. LMK
my email: [email protected]
Will take paypal with fees.
YOU CAN SEE BY THE MILES IT"S THE SAME CLUSTER...

Before:
DSC01706.gif

After:
DSC01770.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread