confused on what heads I have

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
So I got under the car just now and both head castings read 2c5E-6C064-AF.
They both have blue paint all over them. So are my heads the one that has the head tick?

b_dike

Established Member
I believe any cobras built by or before Nov. of 2002 have the bad heads. Not sure about that though. Hopefully others will chime in.

RichM1983

Established Member
Blue paint down the length of the head by the Ports are updated heads.

I don't believe that is correct. That was put out there but was misinformation. From what I've found pretty much any DOHC head is prone to head tick except for the updated 9 thread heads that came out in 05 I believe.....

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Absolutely not. This has been brought up a ton of times...

The only way you will know if you have "updated" heads is to look at the casting number!!

The 2C5E-6C064-AF & AG castings were the earliest heads, with four plug threads. Some have the blue paint, some do not.
The 2C5E-6C064-DA head was the first update to the driver's side (also with four threads). Some have the blue paint, some do not.
The 2C5E-6C064-DB head came out for '04 and had nine plug threads.
The 2C5E-6C064-DC head was the final '05 revision and also the FRPP head.

All the details are in these:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/03-11-04.pdf?37e6df

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/06-05-13.pdf?37e6df

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So I got under the car just now and both head castings read 2c5E-6C064-AF.
They both have blue paint all over them. So are my heads the one that has the head tick?

If they are not ticking now, they probably won't unless you get them hot.

I believe any cobras built by or before Nov. of 2002 have the bad heads. Not sure about that though. Hopefully others will chime in.
Wrong. Most early heads do not have the tick, however some may later develop the tick. Some may eject a spark plug too but it is very rare.

WRONG! An internet myth.

I don't believe that is correct. That was put out there but was misinformation. From what I've found pretty much any DOHC head is prone to head tick except for the updated 9 thread heads that came out in 05 I believe.....
CORRECT! Though there are some cases of even those heads getting the tick.:nonono::(

Thats what i thought too.
WRONG!

Wrong! The new heads came out in 05. If the heads aren't ticking by now they should be good
CORRECT!

The only way you will know if you have "updated" heads is to look at the casting number!!

The 2C5E-6C064-AF & AG castings were the earliest heads, with four plug threads. Some have the blue paint, some do not.
The 2C5E-6C064-DA head was the first update to the driver's side (also with four threads). Some have the blue paint, some do not.

CORRECT and a freaking home run post with immensely helpful valid tech!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You beat me to it, Jimmy! LOL!

This is a thread that will likely be referenced in the future. Good stuff. As far as the blue stripe, there has never been an absolute, definitive answer as to why it appears on some heads, but here is an explanation we got a few years ago that is very likely the answer. Why Do Some Terminator Heads Have A Blue Stripe?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Great info, Joe. Can you confirm the part numbers above are correct? I have the following part numbers in my Terminator FAQs.
Left side head - Part # 2C5Z-6049-BAB
Right side head - Part # 2C5Z-6049-CAB
Ford Racing sells these same heads under these part numbers.
Left side head - Part # M-6049-464V
Right side head - Part # M-6050-464V

If the info in my FAQs is incorrect, I want to update it with the correct part numbers. Thanks Joe!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Great info, Joe. Can you confirm the part numbers above are correct? I have the following part numbers in my Terminator FAQs.
Left side head - Part # 2C5Z-6049-BAB
Right side head - Part # 2C5Z-6049-CAB
Ford Racing sells these same heads under these part numbers.
Left side head - Part # M-6049-464V
Right side head - Part # M-6050-464V

If the info in my FAQs is incorrect, I want to update it with the correct part numbers. Thanks Joe!

Bob,

Those are the correct p/n's for the '05 "DC" castings. The engineering numbers I listed above can be close to the actual part numbers, but it's usually confusing no matter what. Adding to that, FRPP gets in the mix and then they create yet another part number!! Again, guys have to look at the engineering/casting number to know what head they have.

You can also get good high-res images right from the FRPP site that have the casting numbers visble for verification:

Download Media Art Work - Ford Racing Performance Parts

The "blue-stripe" myth never seems to die, but hopefully this helps!

Regards,

Joe

EDIT: Here's a pic with the engineering/casting number of the "final" revision visible (again, the "DC" head)...

M-6050-464Vc.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks very much for the additional info, Joe. I'm going to add it to my Terminator FAQs. It's all good stuff that hopefully answers questions people have. Thanks again! :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Lots of folks will often be a bit confused by the two different but similar numbers Ford uses for engineering and part numbers.
Joe touched on the different numbers above. The basic or middle part of the number is often (but not always) the same.

The engineering prefix though is nearly always different.

A part number prefix typically ends with a .. "Z" .... 2C5Z.

The engineering number (often also a casting number) prefix typically ends with an .... "E" .... 2C5E.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Lots of folks will often be a bit confused by the two different but similar numbers Ford uses for engineering and part numbers.
Joe touched on the different numbers above. The basic or middle part of the number is often (but not always) the same.

The engineering prefix though is nearly always different.

A part number prefix typically ends with a .. "Z" .... 2C5Z.

The engineering number (often also a casting number) prefix typically ends with an .... "E" .... 2C5E.

Adding to that, the prefix ending in "Z" signifies a Ford Service part, whereas any other character (i.e., "E") will denote the engineering division where the part originates from. In this case, the E is the Engine Product & Manufacturing division.

So to decode the part number "2C5Z-6049-BAB", for example:

2: 2002 (and up)
C5: Aviator (yes, the heads are the same for the Aviator, Mach, Marauder, & Cobra)
Z: Service part

6049: Cylinder head (base part number)

BAB: Major & minor engineering changes in sequence.

The engineering numbers are close, but it helps to be familiar with them, especially when you are looking for heads & blocks.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Thanks very much for the additional info, Joe. I'm going to add it to my Terminator FAQs. It's all good stuff that hopefully answers questions people have. Thanks again! :)

Cool, I get an honorable metion on your site:thumbsup:

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Now these heads I assume in the TSB will not be replaced by Ford for free I am assuming?

The reason I ask is that I bought an early 2003 Cobra with only 3000 miles on it last month, I now have 5100 miles on it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now these heads I assume in the TSB will not be replaced by Ford for free I am assuming?

The reason I ask is that I bought an early 2003 Cobra with only 3000 miles on it last month, I now have 5100 miles on it.

Mark, if you vehicle is out of warranty, and it would be unless you have an extended warranty, you would have to pay for the head(s) and installation. Even if you were under warranty, they would only be replace IF you developed the tick issue. And a very small percentage of Terminators have developed the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread