01 cobra vs. 03 cobra

matt87

Established Member
dont worry Dan, you'll have plenty of shances next summer. i think that 01 will surprise alot of people.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
lol. yeah Matt I will have a lot of chances next summer, Vinny the Ginny;-)
And a lot of these centrifugal blower cars don't make the torque of the roots cars. My car is also very conservatively tuned, 11.1 AFR and 12 degrees timing. That could be the answer.

Last edited:

19935.slow

Established Member
yeah ive decided that since it would be such a close race and that this guy is a good friend of mine, that we wont do it. Why beat up on a fellow Ford enthusiats anyway? lol. I'd rather go beat up on some srt-4's or some spec-v's. lol

Sounds like you two take losses too emotionally.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
you keep it in your powerband his torque will mean nothing. his torque qill help him till the first shift, IF... you dont start in your powerband. HP is HP. torque is good for off the line then nothing at all.

I disagree with this. Mine makes around 450 ft/lbs at 2000rpms, nearly 480 ft-lbs tq at 3800rpms, and drops off to around 400 ft/lbs at 6000rpms. The 03-04 cobras have prettly flat tq curve, they don't jump up fast and die off fast like some other forced induction cars. It's not all hp you feel when banging gears. I can post my graph, but I'm sure many have seen these plenty of times.

Also I don't see the 03 getting traction either. I have nitto dr's and first gear is worthless at only 1/2-3/4 throttle.
I really think it's a drivers race. And weight cannot be compared by the factory specs as the OP has SFC's, a blower, and maybe some other things that add weight. But the 03 might have some added weight as well.

Last edited:

imbuggin

Established Member
He guys, before shit goes down, I just want to get your opinions on what might happen. I have an 01 cobra w/ an intercooled Procharger D1SC on it, 13psi. Car has 60lb injectors, 03 cobra tank, an off road x-pipe w/ Magnaflows, short throw shifter, 4.30 gears, MM adjustables, subfames, lowering springs and nitto drags. Car made 460rwhp and 386 tq. on a very conservative tune. My buddy has an 03 cobra w/ a 2.76 upper pulley, JLT intake, tune, high flow x-pipe w/ magnaflows, stock gears. His car also made 460rwhp w/ 460 tq. Now I know he made more tq. than me, but my car is also like 250lbs lighter. He has the 6 speed and I have the 5 speed w/ 4.30 gears. Obviously on the highway he would get me, how about from a dig? Or a 30mph roll? I dont get the best traction, but my car is an absolute animal from rolls! Let me know, thanks.

Something doesn't sound right about your numbers IMO. My car has a cobra 01 engine in it with similar mods as you. I run 9.5-10 lbs of boost on my procharger on a very conservative tune. I make more rwhp than you and around 100 more ft/lbs of torque? The car has been running that way for years with no problems. It may be your gearing not sure? but something sounds off.

jcveron

Established Member
I disagree with this. Mine makes around 450 ft/lbs at 2000rpms, nearly 480 ft-lbs tq at 3800rpms, and drops off to around 400 ft/lbs at 6000rpms. The 03-04 cobras have prettly flat tq curve, they don't jump up fast and die off fast like some other forced induction cars. It's not all hp you feel when banging gears. I can post my graph, but I'm sure many have seen these plenty of times.

Also I don't see the 03 getting traction either. I have nitto dr's and first gear is worthless at only 1/2-3/4 throttle.
I really think it's a drivers race. And weight cannot be compared by the factory specs as the OP has SFC's, a blower, and maybe some other things that add weight. But the 03 might have some added weight as well.

VERY GOOD POST:beer:

saleen302

Established Member
Torque is only good to get you going initially...horsepower is what keeps you going! I say the 01 Cobra with the Centrifugal blower edges out the top end...centri blowers cars are monsters on top end...roots blower cars not so much (roots blowers run out of steam uptop, while centris make more power with rpm...)...so on a highway roll race to the top of 4th, I give the 03 cobra the edge on the start, but then I give the 01 Cobra the actual race by the end of 4th....

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Would need to see the dyno sheets, just because you both make 460 doesn't mean you have the same power. If your average hp is 250, but your peak is 460, and you race against a guy with similar weight but his average hp is 350 and his peak is 460, you'll get your ass handed to you.

Im fairly stock but on my dyno sheet my power keeps building as the RPM goes up, it doesnt peak and drop off. most cars peak and drop of drastically from there

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
my cousin in indiana has a s10 with a 350 in it, that sumbitch will burn the tires off when it hits second,

.....ummm i would hope so....heck theres nothing is the back to weigh it down... :rollseyes
....when he finally is able to burn tires in third then post back... :thumbsup:

Beetle6986

Established Member
I'd bet on the 03 Cobra. He has a lot more torque. Who was it that said torque only matters on the start :bash: After you add the weight of all the mods for the 01 cobra (supercharger, intercooler, fluids, etc.) It probably weighs close to what the 03 Cobra weighs.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
Always good to see an upstart 01 cobra. Too bad you guys aren't running, I haven't seen a lot of videos of strong running 2001 challenging the 03/04s. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places though.

And for the s10 guy, I got a footprint gas pedal I'll sell you for $80.00

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Something doesn't sound right about your numbers IMO. My car has a cobra 01 engine in it with similar mods as you. I run 9.5-10 lbs of boost on my procharger on a very conservative tune. I make more rwhp than you and around 100 more ft/lbs of torque? The car has been running that way for years with no problems. It may be your gearing not sure? but something sounds off.

Well i heard the safe hp # for a stock bottom end on new edge cobras and mach 1's is 450. Dez racing backed the timing down to 12 degrees and richened the tune to 11.1. Sure if I leaned it out and advanced the timing, I could make well into the 500hp range the way the car sits. It's just that I don't want to throw one of my powered metal rods through my aluminum block, lol. My plan is to eventually forge my bottom end and crank up the boost. It's all a matter of $. lol

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Always good to see an upstart 01 cobra. Too bad you guys aren't running, I haven't seen a lot of videos of strong running 2001 challenging the 03/04s. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places though.

And for the s10 guy, I got a footprint gas pedal I'll sell you for $80.00

Never say never, we may run next season, I'll let you know if I do, it's just that its getting kind of cold in Ma and they are supposed to salt the roads this weekend. I just want to beat a few imports or camaros first before I go after another cobra. lol

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Would need to see the dyno sheets, just because you both make 460 doesn't mean you have the same power. If your average hp is 250, but your peak is 460, and you race against a guy with similar weight but his average hp is 350 and his peak is 460, you'll get your ass handed to you.

Im fairly stock but on my dyno sheet my power keeps building as the RPM goes up, it doesnt peak and drop off. most cars peak and drop of drastically from there

Here's my sheet for the 01
Picture098.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread