.054 Spark Plug Gap Missfire

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I just did the spark plugs and i have always ran the gap at .045, well i did them this time at .054 and theres a miss when the engine is in load. Most of the people here runs them at factory gap but i guess mine dosent like it, this isnt normal is it. Is it because im running a higher compression 10.1?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I had a similar problem. I had plugs that were gapped at .54, and I had a real bad misfire in the higher RPM's. I gapped em down to about .37 and it fixed them! With an N/A car you might not need to gap them that small. .45 for an N/A car sounds about right.

Homer

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
.027 is for like FI applications!

What do you run them at now?

Yup, they came out of another car and just tossed them in [I was just making sure that the spark plugs I had weren't bad]

I recently just pulled them out now, and they're gaped around .040, I will be spraying nitrous.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I am not spraying yet..but I will only be spraying a 75-shot, if that. Because I am still on a stock shortblock, so after the carb and spray I'll be at 460-475ish to the wheels.

On the new shortblock.. 100-150 and will gap them closer for that.

I have the nitrous kit just chillin in my room, waiting for my carb'd swap to get done so I can put it in!

19984V

Established Member
I am not spraying yet..but I will only be spraying a 75-shot, if that. Because I am still on a stock shortblock, so after the carb and spray I'll be at 460-475ish to the wheels.

On the new shortblock.. 100-150 and will gap them closer for that.

I have the nitrous kit just chillin in my room, waiting for my carb'd swap to get done so I can put it in!

I have my nitrous kit sitting in my room on the floor too! ;P Need it put in -.- I don't trust myself doing it lol.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
a couple of the Die hard guys here ( na svt and Quad) say .054, I've never ran any Stang with a gap that Big even with an MSD box, I'm at .048 now!

Users who are viewing this thread