1970 Mustang Starting Problems

huntingmalibu66

HI to all> I have recently joint and am in need of HELP! Please!!!! I have my own shop here in colorado and have a question on a customers 1970 Mustang boss 302 clone. He just purchased the car and does not know history. The original problem was when you start it , the starter would sometimes grind unless you push the car and dump the clutch to rotate the engine. We inspected the flywheel and found hardly any teeth left. After removing the trans and replacing the flywheel with a NAPA replacment 157 tooth flywheel, he also wanted to upgrade the starter to a gear reduction type to help with heat problems from the headers.

We tried 4 different starters, from 2 different manufactures,they all stay engaged unless shimmed out, then they are too far and won't engage. We tried an o.e. type replacment for a 1970 w/302 manual transmission. The nose of the starter hits the flywheel teeth and you have to force the starter down with bolts. (definitly not right). We put his original starter back in and it will start but is starting to do the same thing as before after working for about 10 starts.

I have the following numbers off the car, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Engine #d10e-8015-aa
Bellhousing #c5da-6394-a, Trans # RUG M2 with case # c8ar-7006-d w 2, original flywheel # rf-e1zr6380-aza.
:shrug:

CobraDave1

Established Member
Starter issue

I have a 70 Boss, but it's the real deal. The starter is nothing special. I don't believe it's any different than any 302 starter. You didn't say what the engine was. I assume it's not a Boss. Upgraded regular 302 I'm guessing. You do know that the number of that bell housing represents a 1975, if I remember right. "C" = 1970. I have both the original bellhousing and a Lakewood scattershield. I used both without any starter issues. Matter of fact, it's still the original starter as well. I think you have a bellhousing issue, if you used a regular 302 starter and still had the same issue. Mine finally burned up(or maybe the starter lead). Can't tell for sure yet. I have experimental Cyclone headers on it from back in the day. I bought it in 1973, so I'm very familiar with what's in the car. I assume you have a Toploader in it? I haven't had it out of the garage since 1991. Let me know if you need more help, but I need to know exactly what you have there. The part numbers don't mean anything to me. Just describe as best you can what you've got. I've got to get under mine and pull the starter anyway.

Dave

huntingmalibu66

Starter issue

Thanks for the info Dave, we finally found a starter that works. We used a replacment starter for a 6cyl/automatic car and it fit great and works great. I do know this car was originally a 6cyl car and the engine is just a basic 302. We are thinking they may have left the 6cyl. bellhousing on it or just a wrong parts listing?
Just a fyi: it does have a top loader 4 sp, the numbers i have been able to run show it to be out of a 69 torino 429?

amorrow

Established Member
Glad you resolved your issue.

I was left scratching my head after I bought a new Ford mini-starter from Summit for my '65. Turns out they had their part-numbers crossed, between their automatic and manual trans starters. So if anyone reads this, and is planning on ordering a new starter from Summit, it might be a good idea to verify they've corrected their catalog.

CobraDave1

Established Member
Starter issue

Glad to hear it. That part number for the bellhousing is for a 1975 part. I'm surprised the 6 cylinder bellhousing fit the 302 at all. Just for the heck of it, you might want to pull the starter in a month or so, just to check the wear pattern on the starter teeth and flywheel. I figured you had a mismatch there somewhere. Now that you're so experienced, you can come change out mine. Got to drop the header and such. Not much fun. Enjoy.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread