2013 EcoBoost Explorer Vs. 2010 Sti (Dig Race)

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
An Sti can just dump the clutch from a high rpm and it would be game over. Kid needs to sell his sti and buy an st or beetle.

Yeah, but it still takes some skill to do that. The STi's are difficult and unforgiving cars to drive. You get it right and you'll be rewarded with 72 virgins but if you get it wrong.... Hero to zero is 4.9 seconds flat. I really like my STi. It does everything well enough. It doesn't really shine in one particular area but everything it does is very accessible and confidence inspiring when done right.

DSS

Established Member
Both cars have intake and tune. Forgot to add that in, my bad.
Low 13s. I'm hoping to bust into the 12s with this setup.

intake and tune does really nothing for the STi, but i guess the owner wants to waste his money

and for the record a bone stock STi are capable of running 13.0s and 12.9s bone stock, its rare but its doable cuz i have done it my self

Yeah, but it still takes some skill to do that. The STi's are difficult and unforgiving cars to drive. You get it right and you'll be rewarded with 72 virgins but if you get it wrong.... Hero to zero is 4.9 seconds flat. I really like my STi. It does everything well enough. It doesn't really shine in one particular area but everything it does is very accessible and confidence inspiring when done right.

turbo power band with alot of traction and short gear 6 speed manual, its not going to be easy to drive, once your off powerband with these cars, your done

but a big name muscle car magazine " Hot Rod " was impressed it featured it on its front cover, i believe it was the first import car to be ever featured front cover on Hot Rod Magazine. This article brought so much hatred to the magazine because it basicly beat the Cobra in every category, next month issue they said they got plenty of hatemails from many of the readers, so they changed the result to a " TIE " :beer:

Mustang Cobra vs. Subaru WRX STi - Modern Musclecar Showdown - Hot Rod Magazine

its a good read btw

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
intake and tune does really nothing for the STi, but i guess the owner wants to waste his money

and for the record a bone stock STi are capable of running 13.0s and 12.9s bone stock, its rare but its doable cuz i have done it my self

turbo power band with alot of traction and short gear 6 speed manual, its not going to be easy to drive, once your off powerband with these cars, your done

but a big name muscle car magazine " Hot Rod " was impressed it featured it on its front cover, i believe it was the first import car to be ever featured front cover on Hot Rod Magazine. This article brought so much hatred to the magazine because it basicly beat the Cobra in every category, next month issue they said they got plenty of hatemails from many of the readers, so they changed the result to a " TIE " :beer:

Mustang Cobra vs. Subaru WRX STi - Modern Musclecar Showdown - Hot Rod Magazine

its a good read btw

I stopped after: "previously published road tests of both cars have generated virtually identical dragstrip e.t.'s."

Complete and total :bs: A PROPERLY DRIVEN cobra absolutely murders an STi in both trap and ET...

DSS

Established Member
what did you run on a bone stock cobra? when i mean bone stock, i mean bone stock off the show room floor type of shit

cuz off the show room my STi ran three 13.0xx passes and one 12.9xx pass w/ consistent low 1.6x to high 1.6x 60foot @ 98 degree weather on Sacramento RaceWay, had that weather been around 60s, i could probably end up with a 12.8 timeslip

i do agree that the cobra will out trap the STi, no doubt about that, but take off that glue on the drag strip, and see what happens

haha nothing changed, that article still gets alot of hate from american car guys. and its 9 years ago

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
what did you run on a bone stock cobra?

when i mean bone stock, i mean bone stock off the show room floor type of shit

cuz off the show room i ran three 13.0xx pass and one 12.9xx pass with 98 degree weather, here in Sacramento RaceWay

Lol........well car and driver who is specifically not known for having the best drivers was able to run 12.9 @ 111 mph in a bone stock cobra.....

The bone stock record is 12.4 in a 03/04 cobra. MANY MANY ppl have countless passes in the mid 12 second range in completely stock form and it traps a solid 10-11 mph higher than an STi.......

DSS

Established Member
Lol........well car and driver who is specifically not known for having the best drivers was able to run 12.9 @ 111 mph in a bone stock cobra.....

The bone stock record is 12.4 in a 03/04 cobra. MANY MANY ppl have countless passes in the mid 12 second range in completely stock form and it traps a solid 10-11 mph higher than an STi.......

stock factory tires?

i already told you that trap speed cobra has that hands down, and will win from a roll, i dont know why you keep bringing up trap speed

take off that fantasy glue on the so called drag strip, and see how your street tires works on the average dusty public road,

i dont get why people claim 1/4mile times like they can repeat that on the real public street road.

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
stock factory tires?

i already told you that trap speed cobra has that hands down, and will win from a roll, i dont know why you keep bringing up trap speed

take off that fantasy glue on the so called drag strip, and see how your street tires works on the average dusty public road,

i dont get why people claim 1/4mile times like they can repeat that on the real public street road.

Yes on stock factory tires. On the road? Its obviously gonna be iffy and from a dig the sti will launch more consistently than the cobra, but I also know alot of subie drivers that cant launch from a dig for crap.

Still doesnt change the fact that on average the cobra runs a much faster ET than the STi even on factory rubber.

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic so ill conclude with this.

DSS

Established Member
Yes on stock factory tires. On the road? Its obviously gonna be iffy and from a dig the sti will launch more consistently than the cobra, but I also know alot of subie drivers that cant launch from a dig for crap.

Still doesnt change the fact that on average the cobra runs a much faster ET than the STi even on factory rubber.

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic so ill conclude with this.

impressive for a drag strip,

yea its actually quite hand full to launch a STi correctly, well trap speed shows which is more capable for straight line, but in the real world condition (non of that fantasy glued road) dig on public street with even skilled driver, i think the STi might have the upper hand, show room factory bone stock, for the drag strip it will favor the cobra more since it has more power, rolls for sure the cobra is gonna win. but every other performance test you can think off after that, the cobra loses pretty bad

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Stock STi weight is just under 3400 lbs. Figure an off the shelf tune and intake would put that car at about 260 AWHP/270 AWTQ.

Also surprised you can't hear the intake, especially on the passenger side of the car echoing off the explorer -at least 1st to 2nd-. Any of them (AEM, Cobb) I've ever heard have been stupid loud (at least for my taste). If you can, find out the brand for me. If there is something a little more stealthy on the market I'd like to look into it.

Have fun trying to find a stealthy intake, it's bound to be loud either way. My buddies '12 WRX has a Cobb SF, before he had his exhaust, my God it was loud. His exhaust takes over a lot now but you can still hear it.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member

I know you know a shit ton about these cars, hell of a lot more than I, but how is that? I know plenty of people who have gains with an intake ant tune. Not the same car, I know, but my friends '12 WRX definitely gained from his Cobb SF and Torqued Stage 2 tune.

Not doubting you, just curious.

Last edited:

macworld

Established Member
I know you know a shit ton about these cars, hell of a lot more than I, but how is that? I know plenty of people who have gains with an intake ant tune. Not the same car, I know, but my friends '12 WRX definitely gained from his Cobb SF and Torqued Stage 2 tune.

Not doubting you, just curious.

Stage 2 is a down pipe as well. Big gains to be had there. I have an 11 wrx stage 1, torqued performance tune. Much quicker than stock. Especially 3 gear on.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I guess it was stage 1 then, sorry about that. He had the Cobb SF intake and TP stage 1 tune and it was definitely quicker. Stage 2 was even better, felt a big gain there too with the full exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread