2014 GT500 vs. 2014 Corvette Z51

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I will probably own a Vette in the next couple years if Ford doesn't finally build a capable sportscar. Ford GT not included.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
IDC about the review favoring the vette. My wife and I are planning on buying one without trading in the Shelby and I bet that in the future I'll end up trading in the vette and keeping the Shelby. I wonder how the review would've been if the Shelby had Michelin tires.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Yes it seems bias, but let's be honest. The GT500 is not going to win an overall comparison review with the new Vette with most journalists. It is new and the car has so many technology upgrades over the GT500, that it makes its performance easy to reach for everyday drivers even with the manual.

The gt500 has massive performance, but it is much harder to achieve, and still feel comfy and safe in the car. HP, 0-60 are just part of the equation.

Big HP solid axle muscle cars are fun, but they are not going to win the hearts and minds of the journalists when compared to easier to drive sports cars.

I can't agree with you more regarding journalist favoring the new technology but at the stop light I don't see the Stingray winning. I agree the Shelby is a muscle car and the Stingray is a sportscar by far but 202 HP is a big advantage even with the weight difference muscle car or not. I guess we shall see! I agree with Farris as far as owning one at some point but I will wait for a ZR1 or ZO6 before I buy my first Vette! :beer:

reason4treason

Established Member
I will probably own a Vette in the next couple years if Ford doesn't finally build a capable sportscar. Ford GT not included.

I very much wish Ford/SVT would build a 2-seater that competed directly with the Vette. Make it the same price level and as much above in performance as the GT500 is versus ZL1. I believe it'd be a blockbuster. That'd be a shock to the industry: the birth of a new line from Ford that'd also be at a level of quality and performance capable of reaching a 50th anniversary. It'd be a shock to me too and as it stands, I don't expect we'll see that. I do expect I will get a 2nd year C7; likely there'll be a wide-body version out then.

Can't fit more than a pair of 10-year-olds in the backseat, but that seems to be what Mustang guys want from a 4-seater: to have room for kids. don't think I've ever heard anyone speak of putting adults back there. ever seen one with 2 adults in the back? I saw a vert one day with 2 men back there and the back of their heads looked like 3 inches from the back window.

In my C6 I could reliably get 28-29 mpg if in cruise control at 65 mph. C7 gets great mileage, all things considered. Mileage isn't the main feature to consider in a performance car, but at some point, it does start to matter.

Last edited:

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
I can't agree with you more regarding journalist favoring the new technology but at the stop light I don't see the Stingray winning. I agree the Shelby is a muscle car and the Stingray is a sportscar by far but 202 HP is a big advantage even with the weight difference muscle car or not. I guess we shall see! I agree with Farris as far as owning one at some point but I will wait for a ZR1 or ZO6 before I buy my first Vette! :beer:

I agree that the GT500 should win most if not all straight line races. I, and many others, are a little surprised that the 1/4 miles times and speeds of the new C7 are a little off from expectations. Then again, they can only make it so fast and still be able to sell a hipo wide body version. Whether it is a z06, z07, or zr1 (or some combination thereof), it will be those cars that Chevy focuses it marketing on for 0-60, 1/4, Nurburgring times, etc.

5.0 guy

Established Member
I agree that the GT500 should win most if not all straight line races. I, and many others, are a little surprised that the 1/4 miles times and speeds of the new C7 are a little off from expectations. Then again, they can only make it so fast and still be able to sell a hipo wide body version. Whether it is a z06, z07, or zr1 (or some combination thereof), it will be those cars that Chevy focuses it marketing on for 0-60, 1/4, Nurburgring times, etc.

I'm sure the future ZO6 and ZR1 will be incredible, I was sad to see the 13 Vioer fall short of what they built the car up to be. I really thought they were going to blow away the ZR1 but basically made an equal with the same body. The future will only tell!

5.0 guy

Established Member
I very much wish Ford/SVT would build a 2-seater that competed directly with the Vette. Make it the same price level and as much above in performance as the GT500 is versus ZL1. I believe it'd be a blockbuster. That'd be a shock to the industry: the birth of a new line from Ford that'd also be at a level of quality and performance capable of reaching a 50th anniversary. It'd be a shock to me too and as it stands, I don't expect we'll see that. I do expect I will get a 2nd year C7; likely there'll be a wide-body version out then.

Can't fit more than a pair of 10-year-olds in the backseat, but that seems to be what Mustang guys want from a 4-seater: to have room for kids. don't think I've ever heard anyone speak of putting adults back there. ever seen one with 2 adults in the back? I saw a vert one day with 2 men back there and the back of their heads looked like 3 inches from the back window.

In my C6 I could reliably get 28-29 mpg if in cruise control at 65 mph. C7 gets great mileage, all things considered. Mileage isn't the main feature to consider in a performance car, but at some point, it does start to matter.

Can't agree with you more , if they had built the A/C cobra concept I would have two in my garage right now. Love this car!
Ford Shelby Cobra Concept - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rwboring

Established Member

i just got 24-25 in my GT500 @ 70 :)

Njtony

Established Member
Why did the gt500 go into limp mode on the track. Anyone have this issue also?

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Another worthless comparison. Bottom line..when we are driving our Shelbys on the road and a new vette pulls up and starts honking...are we even going to be worried...LOL? How the vette does on the racetrack is irrelevant to me. All open tracks I have been to sport ZERO stock cars...:shrug:

5.0 guy

Established Member
Or as in a common condition amongst Vette owners, which finds them supine in a bathtub, staring at a splash color dusk, nursing an incurable flaccidity, with a greasy filament of wild combover attacking their foreheads?

I swear smack if you're not a professional writer you should be!

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
Predictable, though I personally think it would have been more controversial had the GT500 been picked as the overall better car. I think there is something about only excelling in straight-line performance that comes off to many people as being a "one trick pony" (not just automotive journalists). As mentioned in the article and by people on here, the 'Vette benefits from a lighter more performance-oriented platform with suspension that you could swear aliens invented. I almost wonder if IRS alone would be enough for the Mustang to take on better handling cars, the 'Stang platform IMO has always suffered a bit as a result of keeping it affordable for the masses.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The test comments section sheds more light:

Old-school cubic inches and a blower are tough to beat. Launch control only offers selections between 3,000 and 4,500 rpm, which we found too high for an optimal get-away. Wheelspin feels fairly regulated, but in reality it's excessive and eliminates the possibility of holding 1st gear to 60 mph -- which is otherwise possible. It's pretty easy to beat the system on our track by turning off traction control completely. First gear is tall and the clutch engagement is at the top of the pedal stroke, so it's a little tricky from a stop in daily use but works well in anger. Short-throw shifter is heavy and favors a deliberate shifting technique. No heat soak despite hot weather on our test day.

So the new lc mode on the 2014 with less rpm range hindered the Shelby in this test. Spot on about the clutch.

Braking comments Remarkably consistent stopping distances and lack of fade. Medium-firm pedal with sharp initial bite, but easy modulation thereafter. Some dive, but no wiggle or wander here. Solid performance.

Again, spot on.

Slalom: After a tank-slapping first run with the dampers in the "firm" setting, I discovered (as is typically the case) that the softer, more compliant standard setting worked better. I used the Sport steering setting, which I liked quite a lot because it isn't heavy for heavy's sake and remains precise. At the limit, there's a whiff of understeer, but a quick breathe off the throttle tucks the nose in. The ESC is pretty lenient in Track mode and intervenes sparingly, so it's not much of a hindrance. Skid pad: Pretty heavy understeer around the circle. The lift-stab technique I used through the slalom in Track mode doesn't work here in this comparatively low-speed steady-state maneuver. Full ESC-on laps provided identical results, which suggests a good calibration.

Seems spot on as well.

After clicking around it seems they had about 5 or 6 different cars there at Willow for a few days comparing each one to the new Vette: Viper, GTR, Porsche 911, & M3. They likely didn't spend too much time with the GT500 on its own which could explain the slower acceleration numbers. What bugs me about this is the Vette's stopping distance is down to 99 feet in this test vs. Motor Trend's 104 while the Shelby went from 101 to 110. Yes, I know, different cars, tracks, days, etc. but what seems apparent is that Edmunds didn't get the tires hot enough for measuring the performance of the Shelby which explains why these numbers are off compared with other tests. They didn't have that much time with the car to understand the nuances of the crapyear tires...

Last edited:

spazpilot

Established Member
12.4 at 113? Sounds like the C7 better watch out for the Five.uh-oh....:rollseyes Leave the Shelby for bigger fish......

Really!!! You have take the temps and outside factors into consideration. If the Shelby ran a 12.1 at 120 and the Vette a 12.4 at 113, chances are the mustang would best a low to mid 13 in the 108 range if not less.

The Vette won period... It's is a better car. Being able to beat someone in a straight line doesn't mean it's better. If so, then we should all agree that the Porshe 911s turbo and the GTR are king. 10.9 and 11.1 for quarter mile stock.

Users who are viewing this thread