3.5L Ecoboost Retro-Fit

Vmaximus

Established Member
Walt, at this time I think the 3.5 will have to wait till they come out with the control pak. Guy made me an awesome deal on LOW mileage Coyote motor and auto trans. Gonna pick it up hopefully end of this week. I could use some info from you if you have any idea what motor mounts to use and any mods I have to make to crossmember or frame to get it bolted in. Would it be possible for you to call me so we can talk?

02_Lightning

Established Member
Good choice going with the coyote swap. The 3.5 ecoboost from the f150 is a nightmare of an engine. You will be vastly happier with the coyote!!

02_Lightning

Established Member
Why do you think it is a nightmare?

The ecoboost 3.5 from the f150 has inherent design flaws. Seeing an unusual amount fail lately from timing chain issues, condensate (stutter/shudder, hydrolock, blown out spark, blown O2 sensors and cats). You are much, much better off with the coyote.

Stanger00

Established Member
Why do you think it is a nightmare?

Just click is name and look up previous posts and threads started and you will see why he thinks the ecoboost is a nightmare. Also do a google search with his name and see his other thread hijacks on other forums.

Vmaximus

Established Member
Do you have any info on this type of engine swap? Like how to bolt motor in on Ranger? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eco

Established Member
Engine installed

Hi Walt

I'm at the end of a 3.5 ecoboost engine swap and I could really use some help getting around the anti-theft feature that we believe is keeping our engine from starting...despite removing PATS from the PCM and turning off all automatic transmission features. We have relays clicking with the key inside the car and in the outside fuse box, but the fuel pump relay and the starter relay aren't energizing. I used the f150 engine bay wiring harness and integrated that in the mustang cabin wiring harness. This has been a 9 month project trying to get everything perfect, I hope you can help us get the engine started. You sound very knowledgable about the ecoboost platform. I reached out to you on a ranger forum too, not sure if you are checking these older threads or not.

Here is a link to my build thread, feel free to join the conversation there if you want. Thanks in advance!

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/mustang-3-5l-ecoboost-engine-swap-538017/

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Hi Walt

I'm at the end of a 3.5 ecoboost engine swap and I could really use some help getting around the anti-theft feature that we believe is keeping our engine from starting...despite removing PATS from the PCM and turning off all automatic transmission features. We have relays clicking with the key inside the car and in the outside fuse box, but the fuel pump relay and the starter relay aren't energizing. I used the f150 engine bay wiring harness and integrated that in the mustang cabin wiring harness. This has been a 9 month project trying to get everything perfect, I hope you can help us get the engine started. You sound very knowledgable about the ecoboost platform. I reached out to you on a ranger forum too, not sure if you are checking these older threads or not.

Here is a link to my build thread, feel free to join the conversation there if you want. Thanks in advance!

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/mustang-3-5l-ecoboost-engine-swap-538017/

This Ecoboost engine is now running. There are a lot of details in the wiring that must be done correctly to allow the engine to start and run. Lucky for ECO he had a friend that was very savy on wiring and with just a few suggestions as to where problems could be, he was able to make the needed modifications and get the Mustang running.

Check out his build thread above, very informative for anyone wanting to make a F150 3.5L Ecoboost install.

Walt

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Walt
I am now ready to proceed with a retrofit 3.5 Ecoboost into my 64 F-100. Would you be able to give me some time for a few lingering questions?
My cell is 360-399-9586.
Thanks. Greg

Greg,

sorry I missed this post until now, but I got your message and I will call you today!

Walt

teelta

I've been seeing some 2011+ F-150s and Mustangs that have a 3.7L is this engine swapped the same way? Is this a misprint or a newer different engine?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I've been seeing some 2011+ F-150http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=15205328s and Mustangs that have a 3.7L is this engine swapped the same way? Is this a misprint or a newer different engine?

Not sure what you are asking here. Yes the 3.7L V6 is offered in 2011+ F150s and also 2011+ mustangs. It is the same base engine as the 3.5L EB, but the 3.7L is not turbocharged or direct injected, but it does make 300HP and it is a easy swap into a lot of vehicles, like a Ranger Pickup. The mustang 3.7L is available with a manual trans, so you have that option as well.

Walt

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Walt, at this time I think the 3.5 will have to wait till they come out with the control pak. Guy made me an awesome deal on LOW mileage Coyote motor and auto trans. Gonna pick it up hopefully end of this week. I could use some info from you if you have any idea what motor mounts to use and any mods I have to make to crossmember or frame to get it bolted in. Would it be possible for you to call me so we can talk?

Sorry, I have not done any work on putting Coyote & 6R80 into a Ranger. But I have seen pics of a Coyote install into a Ranger so do some research on here and/or internet and I suspect you can find some install info.

I understand Ford Performance is doing a controls pak for the 5.0L Coyote with 6R80, announced in December of 2015, not sure when it will be available. If you got all the wiring and modules with your Coyote/6R80, and I mean all the car's wiring, then you can modify the factory wiring to make your engine/trans run in your ranger.

Walt

Trllion9

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I was brought here with internet searches for Ecoboost engine swaps and after reading thru this thread, I think I'm in the right place. Walt, you seem to be one that might know how to help me. To start, I have a '76 Early Bronco and I want to drop in a '15 Ecoboost TT with 6R80 transmission that has 4000kms (Canadian) with the PMC from an Excursion. I'm sure I can buy the rest of the parts from the same wrecker that you have previously posted. I'll start with the fact that most of the questions Ecoboost wise are referring to the '11-'14. Is there any change(s) I should be concerned about for '15? Any help would be gladly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Derek

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Derek,

I do not think there are any significant changes in 2015 for the F150 3.5L Ecoboost. I will be doing the wiring on a 2015 install, so I will know more in the next couple weeks. Check out this build of ECO 02 on this thread on the Garage Journal site http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147380&page=145. I will be showing everyone how to do the wiring. Randy is putting a 2015 F150 3.5L EB/6R80 (4wd) powertrain into a 1966 F250.

EB should be easy fit into your 1976 Bronco. Why do you want to use the PCM from an Excursion?

If at all possible, I suggest that you buy a running & driving donor vehicle so you know you have every part you will need for the swap. Look for a roll-over truck, or one that is wrecked but still starts and lot-drives. You will need a lot of F150 parts so if you start with just an engine and trans, you will pay a fortune for the parts you need.

Walt

Trllion9

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Walt! Let me clarify a bit more: The engine, transmission and electrics come from a wrecked 2015 Expedition, sorry I said Excursion by accident. I don't have the parts in hand yet but I'm about to make the move if all is possible for this swap. And when I say 'electrics' I'm suppose to get everything to make the engine run. As far as wreckers are concerned, I'd like to tell them 'all' the parts needed to do this so I get everything in one shot and not have to go back and get nickel and dimed for the small bits here and there! I wrote down everything from your list you posted (#52) and wondered if that is all? Thanks again for your help so far, I hope I can return the info/favor one day!

Derek

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Derek,

Yep, you need all those wiring harnesses and the BCM and the PCM. I would ask for the fuel pump and sender as well as the Fuel Pump Driver Module. Get the gas pedal assemble and the switches off the brake pedal. Get the whole steering wheel and column with the key, and see if you can get the cluster too, always nice to have when debugging the system.

Remind me, what vehicle is going to get this awesome new powertrain?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Oh, and get the transmission shifter too, floor or column. Using either makes getting the proper shift interlock easy and also gives trigger for back up lights to the BCM.

Trllion9

Ok, I'm on it! I will keep you posted on what I get. Oh, and this swap is going in my 1976 Bronco! I'll be doing some major machining to mate the T-case to the newer 6R80 vs the old C3 unit.

Derek

Users who are viewing this thread