3.5L Ecoboost Retro-Fit

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
It most definitely is not compatible.

Also, Id like to ask walt why he believes that the FWD ecoboost 3.5 does not have the same bellhousing as the RWD version? It is the same as the 3.5/3.7 cyclone and so is the RWD, so why doesnt it have the same bellhousing pattern? Ive found him saying this on probably 10 forums and Id like to know why. Does he have a drawing or some proof of this?

OK, regarding the FWD vs the RWD blocks used by Ford in 3.5L Ecoboost applications, I reviewed my notes. I was told by an engineer on the FWD V6 design team on March 4, 2011, that the FWD and RWD 3.5L EB blocks are different. My notes show that these engines have a different front cover, different motor mount bosses and different bellhousing.

splatranger95, I will email you some contact info within Ford.

I do not have first hand experience to prove the differences as I have only ever worked on F150 RWD 3.5L EB engines with 6R80 transmissions. I do know that the 3.5L F150 EB has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 3.7L Mustang, and the same motor mount bosses, same front cover pattern, and even the same oil pan part number for both.

If anyone has done a comparison between the FWD and RWD 3.5L Ecoboost blocks, please share what you have learned as that information will help many many of us in the future.

Thanks,

Walt

Kestor

Great information!
I am currently working on replacing an 80's TVR 2.8/2.9L Ford Cologne and have been digging thru various forums for info and found this one. Finding a donor vehicle seems the best way to go. Pretty sure a 3.5L will fit.
Would anyone have any idea how the engine mounts would compare for these? The car has a tubular chassis so I'd hope adjustments would be manageable

KennyXR4i

Hi guy's, following this with great interest. Been sitting here since mid november due to a busted knee & ankle overdosing on petrolhead TV - Fast n Loud, Overhaulin etc etc. So, consequently the mind has turned to my (stalled resto) Sierra XR4i - you got it as the Merkur XR4ti. Here in Europe the XR4i came with a 2.8l(171cu in) Cologne V6, a fuel injected (Bosch K jet) version of the engine Ford used in the 1974 Mustang 2. So naturally as a result (partly) of the afore-mentioned TV shows, the mind turns to increasing the performance from the 150ish BHP the car originally came with. While a Coyote would be lovely, a V8 would probably require too much in the way of engine bay mod's (although Ford SA SVO did it with a 302 Windsor, I don't have their resources lol) so naturally my thoughts turn to the 3.5 Ecoboost mated to a (?)T5 trans.
TBH I'm a long way from being in a position to do this (if at all) but I like to think these things through before committing time/money. So any (constructive) thoughts, opinions would be most welcome.

Ross Converse

Established Member
OK, regarding the FWD vs the RWD blocks used by Ford in 3.5L Ecoboost applications, I reviewed my notes. I was told by an engineer on the FWD V6 design team on March 4, 2011, that the FWD and RWD 3.5L EB blocks are different. My notes show that these engines have a different front cover, different motor mount bosses and different bellhousing.

I do not have first hand experience to prove the differences as I have only ever worked on F150 RWD 3.5L EB engines with 6R80 transmissions. I do know that the 3.5L F150 EB has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 3.7L Mustang, and the same motor mount bosses, same front cover pattern, and even the same oil pan part number for both.

If anyone has done a comparison between the FWD and RWD 3.5L Ecoboost blocks, please share what you have learned as that information will help many many of us in the future.

Thanks,

Walt
Hi Walt, this is Ross Converse in Maine . I just signed up with this forum after reading all the great advice about doing swaps with the twin cam V6. I'm finishing up the process of putting a
09 MKZ 3.5 into a 1974 Volvo 164 rear wheel drive. I've adapted this engine up to the Ford AOD transmission successfully and would be glad to share details and pictures. It's been a very time-consuming project but I'm retired now and have a very patient customer from New York. The reason why I found your forum is because one of the last things I have to do is get the engine to start. I now have new hope I can do this with the stock PCM and modified harness and not have to go to megasquirt. For the last 30 years I've been putting 5.0 HO Mustang packages into rear wheel drive Volvos for a business . My company used to be Converse engineering.com
Thanks again, Ross

Ross Converse

Established Member
Hi guy's, following this with great interest. Been sitting here since mid november due to a busted knee & ankle overdosing on petrolhead TV - Fast n Loud, Overhaulin etc etc. So, consequently the mind has turned to my (stalled resto) Sierra XR4i - you got it as the Merkur XR4ti. Here in Europe the XR4i came with a 2.8l(171cu in) Cologne V6, a fuel injected (Bosch K jet) version of the engine Ford used in the 1974 Mustang 2. So naturally as a result (partly) of the afore-mentioned TV shows, the mind turns to increasing the performance from the 150ish BHP the car originally came with. While a Coyote would be lovely, a V8 would probably require too much in the way of engine bay mod's (although Ford SA SVO did it with a 302 Windsor, I don't have their resources lol) so naturally my thoughts turn to the 3.5 Ecoboost mated to a (?)T5 trans.
TBH I'm a long way from being in a position to do this (if at all) but I like to think these things through before committing time/money. So any (constructive) thoughts, opinions would be most welcome.
Hi Kenny, regarding using a T5 I was able to adapt the Ford aod auto trans onto my 3.5 transverse engine without an adapter plate. So we know the Ford small-block bolt pattern can be adapted to the back of the engine. In my case I only had two modify the flexplate and your case obviously you have to figure out the flywheel and clutch.
Hope this helps, Ross

KennyXR4i

Hi Kenny, regarding using a T5 I was able to adapt the Ford aod auto trans onto my 3.5 transverse engine without an adapter plate. So we know the Ford small-block bolt pattern can be adapted to the back of the engine. In my case I only had two modify the flexplate and your case obviously you have to figure out the flywheel and clutch.
Hope this helps, Ross

Hi Ross, this is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to glean from this thread :) Although, in reality, I'm still a long way from considering an engine/trans swap (still a lot of body work to do :() any and all information, tips, hints are great. The biggest (although not insurmountable) obstacle is the lack of easy availability of all the necessary parts over here in the UK :(:( but, comes the time I'm in a position to do it, I'll hopefully have a comprehensive list of everything I need :):)
Thanks again, Kenny.

Ecoboost Capri

walt450,

I,m doing something similar the other side of the pond. I have a 2012 3.7 v6 and MT82 going in a ford capri (believe you guys call them mercury capri). I have the complete engine and box,the entire wiring loom from original vehicle including fuseboard,instrument cluster,ECU,sterring column and ignition key.
1) How do you "turn off" the pats system.
2) Guess I need the original cars fuel pump and fuel pump driver module

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

I really hope you are still following this forum. I am dropping a 3.5L Ecoboost into a 76 Capri II. I have found a few of your build pictures on other forums. I really need some detail on your oil pan modifications.

For everyone interested, here is my progress so far:

https://www.facebook.com/EcoboostCapri/

Ross Converse

Established Member
Hi,
I was lucky, all I had to do was retrofit my MKZ Engine with the Mustang / F-100 oil pan to clear the Volvo cross member.
Ross

Ross Converse

Established Member
20170221_122812.jpg
09 MKZ in a 74 Volvo 164

s23218

View attachment 84881 09 MKZ in a 74 Volvo 164
Hi Ross; I bought one (2 actually) of your V8 / Volvo kits and built a 760 GLE 5.0, AOD and had a ball with it. I was then in China for two years (Sikorsky Air Craft) and my son drove it Middletown to school. Loved the car. Working with Walt460 on a 3.5 EB for my 2010 Sport Trac. Small world
[email protected]

Ross Converse

Established Member
Hi Don,
Did I get your first name correct? I recognize your last name. Glad you had good memories of your Volvos! I'm retired now from the 5-liter Volvo world but had a very satisfying career. Have fun with your new 3.5 EB swap.
Ross

2nazty

Established Member
Hi,
I was lucky, all I had to do was retrofit my MKZ Engine with the Mustang / F-100 oil pan to clear the Volvo cross member.
Ross
HI Ross

Can you detail any changes you had to make to install the transverse Mkz engine in a RWD application? I've got a 3.7L Cyclone engine that came out of a 2010 mazda 6 originally, my plan is to beef it up with crank and rods from a 3.5L ecoboost motor, convert it to direct injection with ecoboost heads and pump along with the turbochargers and install it in RWD configuration into a 2003 Lincoln LS that has the 3.0L v6 in it currently. If possible I'd like to replace the 5 speed auto transmission (5R55E) with a 6R80 if it will physically bolt on? I would appreciate some info on what to do for motor mounts to put this engine in longitudinally into the Lincoln ls.

2nazty

Established Member

Thanks,

Walt
HI Walt

Can you educate me on the compatibility of engine components between the 3.7L Cyclone and 3.5L ecoboost? Specifically crank, rods, cylinder heads? Also I'd like to learn about direct injection, I read there is a high pressure fuel pump mounted on the engine to feed the direct injection system on ecoboost v6 engines, is this adaptable to a regular 3.7L Cyclone engine if I were to bolt on ecoboost heads to it? Can you also educate me on transmission choices, unfortunately the 3.7L I have is a transverse one out of a mazda 6 and my intended application is a 2003 Lincoln LS that currently has the 3.0L v6. I am well versed in automotive wiring so I am certain I can sort that out once I have the wiring diagrams for the Lincoln ls and whichever ECU and engine and transmission harness I go with. One final question would I need to get custom pistons made for the 3.7L to use direct injection? I believe I've read that DI engines use a specific dome style of pistons, is this information correct?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
2Nasty,
The high pressure fuel pump is driven by the camshaft so if you put 3.5L EB heads on a 3.7L you will have the DI pump & drive system.

For transmissions, you can get the QuickTime bellhousing for a T-5 or T-6, belhousing fits both FWD and RWD blocks. for a RWD block You can use the 6R80 auto or the new 10-speed auto, but you need the factory PCM and wiring to go with whichever you select. You can always use the Mustang 6-speed from a 3.7L Mustang. Not sure about any other transmissions.

The FWD PCM will not run the RWD transmissions, reprogramming might solve, not sure.

Yes the DI engines have different pistons, turbo or NA. Aftermarket DI pistons are available for both Turbo and NA engines.

Not sure why you want to go to all the trouble of making a 3.7L into a DI or Eco engine, way way cheaper and easier to just buy a 3.5L Eco engine.

Walt

2nazty

Established Member
2Nasty,
The high pressure fuel pump is driven by the camshaft so if you put 3.5L EB heads on a 3.7L you will have the DI pump & drive system.

For transmissions, you can get the QuickTime bellhousing for a T-5 or T-6, belhousing fits both FWD and RWD blocks. for a RWD block You can use the 6R80 auto or the new 10-speed auto, but you need the factory PCM and wiring to go with whichever you select. You can always use the Mustang 6-speed from a 3.7L Mustang. Not sure about any other transmissions.

The FWD PCM will not run the RWD transmissions, reprogramming might solve, not sure.

Yes the DI engines have different pistons, turbo or NA. Aftermarket DI pistons are available for both Turbo and NA engines.

Not sure why you want to go to all the trouble of making a 3.7L into a DI or Eco engine, way way cheaper and easier to just buy a 3.5L Eco engine.

Walt
HI Walt

Thanks for your reply, I may just end up ditching the 3.7 FWD engine if I can not mate it to a RWD automatic, how diffrent is the bolt pattern between the FWD and RWD block? And does the FWD bolt pattern match any previous RWD auto transmissions? I have the ability to machine the block to accept it if there is sufficient material thickness or make an adaptor. It would be nice if the 6R80 and it's 10 speed derivative had a removable bellhousing. This is purely an academic exercise for me, I like doing engine swaps the more unusual the better. I was also considering investigating other DEW98 platform vehicles to see if I could swap front suspensions, Mount the engine with appropriate transaxle transversly and run a Taurus sho ECU with the AWD system in this car....lol the things I come up with when I'm bored

Sorry for all the questions just one more about DI, so on the system it would use a regular electric fuel pump in the tank and normal pressure rated lines up to the motor, then the engine mounted pump would "intensify" the fuel charge, is this correct? What about running regular multiport injection and DI as Ford will be doing on several vehicles in MY2018, how would this work? Dual electric in tank pumps, one to feed the MFI and the other to feed DI?

Ross Converse

Established Member
HI Ross

Can you detail any changes you had to make to install the transverse Mkz engine in a RWD application? I've got a 3.7L Cyclone engine that came out of a 2010 mazda 6 originally, my plan is to beef it up with crank and rods from a 3.5L ecoboost motor, convert it to direct injection with ecoboost heads and pump along with the turbochargers and install it in RWD configuration into a 2003 Lincoln LS that has the 3.0L v6 in it currently. If possible I'd like to replace the 5 speed auto transmission (5R55E) with a 6R80 if it will physically bolt on? I would appreciate some info on what to do for motor mounts to put this engine in longitudinally into the Lincoln ls.

Ross Converse

Established Member
HI Ross

Can you detail any changes you had to make to install the transverse Mkz engine in a RWD application? I've got a 3.7L Cyclone engine that came out of a 2010 mazda 6 originally, my plan is to beef it up with crank and rods from a 3.5L ecoboost motor, convert it to direct injection with ecoboost heads and pump along with the turbochargers and install it in RWD configuration into a 2003 Lincoln LS that has the 3.0L v6 in it currently. If possible I'd like to replace the 5 speed auto transmission (5R55E) with a 6R80 if it will physically bolt on? I would appreciate some info on what to do for motor mounts to put this engine in longitudinally into the Lincoln ls.[/QUOTE

Hi,
it's very labor-intensive but I made it work without an adapter plate. I can only give you guidance for doing an aod transmission although it should work for a 4 R 70 w also. I documented the process with detailed photos which I'd be glad to share with you if you decide to use these transmissions. As far as the motor mounts go they were made out of quarter inch plate steel custom for the Volvo.
Ross

Boosted Falcon

Hi all found this forum while researching my 64 Falcon Ecoboost swap. I see a lot of great help and information here.
I have a 2016 3.5 EB with 11,000 miles mated to a T56 transmission using Ford Performance harness and ECU. I have ordered a TCI IFS and power steering rack. I will be looking for solutions for the power steering pump.

MadScientist

Hi everyone. I am trying to gather information for a swap that I have never heard of before. I was thinking about trying to put a 3.5 ecoboost and auto trans in a 1974 Scout II. The fabrication does not scare me or even wiring, my big concerns are getting the automatic trans and transfer case to work. As far as the transfer case I can go with an aftermarket unit like an atlas, but the auto trans I am not to sure about. This will be my first automatic trans vehicle so I am trying to adjust. I have thought about using a manual trans but offroad autos are so much easier. An help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread