4v heads trick flow vs Ported 4v Navi heads

joseph02

Established Member
So, I found out that its not hard to swap to 4v heads out from navigator, all it need to do is to swap them and retune the engine with no need to change the ecu or anything (correct me if Im wrong). But the question is which is better ?? trick flow heads with stage 1 or 2 cams, Or ported 4 valve heads with stock cams. Neeed your help guys I'm starting a rebuild for around 700whp. If any Tips would be appreciated. btw the engine is sitting on 2003 mustang :rockon:

Dusten

Established Member
So, I found out that its not hard to swap to 4v heads out from navigator, all it need to do is to swap them and retune the engine with no need to change the ecu or anything (correct me if Im wrong). But the question is which is better ?? trick flow heads with stage 1 or 2 cams, Or ported 4 valve heads with stock cams. Neeed your help guys I'm starting a rebuild for around 700whp. If any Tips would be appreciated. btw the engine is sitting on 2003 mustang :rockon:

While the heads are easy, the test of the intake needs replaced now. What are your plans for that?

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
...and the exhaust manifold/headers, etc etc. if it were super easy and no fuss, damn near every hotrodded Lightning would have 4V heads.

joseph02

Established Member
yea dustin & Darren5.0L I really didn't think about it and how I'm gonna do it exactly but just thinking about it I need to replace the alternator or modify its place, timing chain and cover. I can get a complete Navi heads with cams and valve cover for a good price.
For the air intake I think doing a plate that can make the 2v lower intake fits with the heads. Not sure if this is an easy job to do especially that even if I use 1/4 inch thick plate it might change the flow or its speed due to friction, pressure and heat. also I do not think that I need to change the wiring harness I am already using 4.6l harness on 5.4l and its working great, I have the egr system delete and all its accessories. the exhaust I will use the stock manifold or any headers because I am sure that I will need to make a cut on the engine bay for cleaners for any headers I choose. Now with the 2v heads the stock manifold almost touches the wall.
I am asking this becasue I am going to rebuild the engine and going to use a kit from jdm
http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-5-4l-lightning-harley-engine-rebuild-kit/
and not sure really which way to go with for not only higher numbers but for a good strong healthy pony power on the street :rockon: :burnout:
for now I am pushing the engine to its limit and I dont want to wait to brake it & its Sad to lower the Boost :nono::nono:

Any opinions will be appreciated :beer:

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Opinion, I don't believe you've truly thought this through.

Consider the cost of a forged 2V bottom end and a blower upgrade, stuff that actually fits.

Then consider the cost of rebuilding a 5.4L 4V (the same or more than a 2v if you service the heads.) then all the real life costs of adapting a 2V turkey pan, aligning the blower drive, fitting everything, power steering, front timing cover 2V vs 4V, start putting costs to parts and run the totals, you'll see it's not that simple.

If you were dropping in something that didn't need a blower belt, such as a turbo, it might make some sense.

Wait, does the first post actually say you have a Lightning engine in a Mustang?

joseph02

Established Member
Darren5.0L
yes, I have 2004 Lightning engine on 2002 mustang. For people considering doing this swap I am at 450whp and 560tq.
You right Darren5.0L I did some calculation and yea that would coast more than building 4v engine.
last thoughts I will not do this swap. but which way to go with the heads ! port them ? Trickflow ? Because I read that trick flow are good for high RPM engine and mine is not. Ported Pi heads are good for mid-range tq. what else should I do to get the best out of the engine ? Im gonna start the rebuild next month.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Read this on TFS heads and consider if they are worth your time:

https://www.lmengines.com/trick-flow-tfs-fmod-1-camshaft-cylinder-head-issue/

If it were my engine and I wanted 700 HP, I would focus on installing a set of rods that would support that sort of power, then a blower upgrade to support that number, followed by heads and camshafts to match. Generally speaking I would consider a CNC PI options from a reputable manufacturer.

Since you have a Mustang with a Lightning engine, keep the burger stand appeal and embrace that, work within the confines of what you have. If you only want "massive" power there are probably a few better ways to fabri-cobble something together that is not based on a unique 2V Modular installation.

Users who are viewing this thread