• Welcome to SVT Performance, your home for all things SVT

5.0 voodoo engine?

Discussion in '2015+ S550 Mustang Talk' started by phantom_5_liter, Nov 30, 2013.

1. phantom_5_liter

phantom_5_liter New Member Established Member

the latest american muscle video mentions the new svt mustang will be a n/a voodoo motor, 5.1 or something or stroked.
    Anyone else hear anything about this?

2. bullittman

bullittman New Member Established Member

Haven't posted in a while, just to add an observation. Would love a shot at another big block....But would be happy with with what SVT might come with, they have done pretty well in the past. Re: the 5.8, since it is unlikely we will see the the SVT variant before calender 15, it seems logical that the niche line would be shut down having nothing to build for now. In conversations with my engine builders in the past this was common practice as they shifted back and forth from the line to the main shop. As they say "We will see"

3. americansteel

americansteel Banned

dude I remember seeing magazine articles about a 5.1l a 5.5l and a 5.2l voodoo engine. I was told that ford has nothing of the sort on their plans.

bulittman the 5.8l is staying, the N/A variant for the mustang and a blown for the SVT product.

4. bullittman

bullittman New Member Established Member

Well, I'll hope for that to be the case

5. darreng505

darreng505 New Member Established Member

Ford has already leaked there "is" a voodoo engine but thats all. They posted on a forum (don't have the link handy but you can find it somewhere).

6. americansteel

americansteel Banned

you do realize the voodoo term was used back in 08 and 09 for the eco-boost F150?

7. Quicktime_GT

Quicktime_GT New Member Established Member

The company I work for was issued an RFQ for this engine..

It's very interesting indeed..

8. RTD

RTD New Member Established Member

There is no NA 5.8 nor will there be.

They would need different heads, different cams, different pistons, a different intake, etc., they couldn't just take off the supercharger or it would be a dog. Complete redesign, which isn't happening at this point in the lifecycle.

The 2000 Cobra R with the 5.4 made 385 hp NA, adjusting for the extra displacement, you'd be looking at around 414 hp for an NA 5.8, less than the Coyote makes. It's a crap motor NA.

2014 is the end of the line for the 5.4/5.8 Condor/Trinity. The 2015 Expedition is dropping the 5.4 in favor of the 5.0 from the F150 and an optional Ecoboost 3.5, the 2015 Navigator is dropping the 5.4 and will come with the 3.5 Ecoboost standard. Ford isn't going to keep that engine family going just for one car.

9. americansteel

americansteel Banned

sorry bud 5.8l in N/A form for the mustang and the blown 5.8L the engine is staying for SVT.
    btw I happen to have built a 5.4l svt cobra motor, in N/A those cams sucked, but of course I had to get a different set with a tad different duration that engine made 476HP.
    the expedition will get the 5.0 and the eco-boost will not be offered as far as I know.
    ford doesn't have to make a different set of heads for the 5.8l to make it work in a N/A car, a manifold? yes.

10. Fenixfire

Fenixfire Slower than ever Established Member

From what I understand the voodoo motor was reported to be a twin turbo 5.0. This came from car and driver.....

11. americansteel

americansteel Banned

just got off the phone with my friend, was told there are multiple rumors that have been going around so much infact that ford has taken notice of this "voodoo" engine last time the voodoo term was used was in 08 and 09. no such thing!

12. darreng505

I just got off the phone with "my friend" and he said your friend is wrong.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  13. jes_csx

jes_csx New Member Established Member

Yup, there is no way anybody who knows the specs/plans are going to be so casually open about it.

14. 1wild-horse

1wild-horse Relax! I'm a Doctor! Established Member

a friend? wasn't it a nephew's cousins former roommate?

15. americansteel

americansteel Banned

troll much? 3rd post you followed me! actually its my machinist cousin who works for ford as I written before.

16. 1wild-horse

1wild-horse Relax! I'm a Doctor! Established Member

17. Jroc

Jroc New Member Established Member

I hope Ford drops the 5.4/5.8's from it's lineup. The 5.4 was built to be a truck motor. It was made more for a broader torque curve, and better lowend torque than making more HP over a 4.6. The 5.4/5.8 is overstroked for a performance car motor. Sure it has tons of power potential when boosted, but that's any DOHC Ford v8. The 5.4/5.8 are not great high RPM motors, and don't bring up the fact that a 5.8 redlines at 7000 RPM's because I know, and I also know a Roadrunner will live happy at 8,200 RPM with just a tune to tell it to let it redline there. Again it's stroke is too long. 4.165" of stroke makes for some extremely high piston speeds at higher RPM's. The only factory gas motor I know of that came with a longer stroke was a Vortec 8100. Even all your old BB motors don't have a stroke as long as a 5.4.

This long stroke also makes for a noticeably taller, and heavier motor that carries it's weight higher in the chassis than a 4.6/5.0.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  18. darreng505

Reminds me of this, which I saw today on TV.

[youtube_browser]CZd_YyFzPD0[/youtube_browser]

19. specizripn

specizripn New Member Established Member

Oh no this AmericanSteel guy is trolling again :bash: If you truly had an all knowing friend you would know you were right and wouldn't have to try to prove it to a bunch of people on a forum, you could sit back and have the last laugh... If you wan't to prove that you are right then sit back and watch people dream and laugh but don't say anything, but arguing isn't going to make people believe you. Just some food for thought :poke: