5.0 voodoo engine?

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
the latest american muscle video mentions the new svt mustang will be a n/a voodoo motor, 5.1 or something or stroked.
Anyone else hear anything about this?

bullittman

Established Member
Haven't posted in a while, just to add an observation. Would love a shot at another big block....But would be happy with with what SVT might come with, they have done pretty well in the past. Re: the 5.8, since it is unlikely we will see the the SVT variant before calender 15, it seems logical that the niche line would be shut down having nothing to build for now. In conversations with my engine builders in the past this was common practice as they shifted back and forth from the line to the main shop. As they say "We will see"

americansteel

Banned
dude I remember seeing magazine articles about a 5.1l a 5.5l and a 5.2l voodoo engine. I was told that ford has nothing of the sort on their plans.

bulittman the 5.8l is staying, the N/A variant for the mustang and a blown for the SVT product.

darreng505

Established Member
dude I remember seeing magazine articles about a 5.1l a 5.5l and a 5.2l voodoo engine. I was told that ford has nothing of the sort on their plans.

bulittman the 5.8l is staying, the N/A variant for the mustang and a blown for the SVT product.

Ford has already leaked there "is" a voodoo engine but thats all. They posted on a forum (don't have the link handy but you can find it somewhere).

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
The company I work for was issued an RFQ for this engine..

It's very interesting indeed..

RTD

Established Member

There is no NA 5.8 nor will there be.

They would need different heads, different cams, different pistons, a different intake, etc., they couldn't just take off the supercharger or it would be a dog. Complete redesign, which isn't happening at this point in the lifecycle.

The 2000 Cobra R with the 5.4 made 385 hp NA, adjusting for the extra displacement, you'd be looking at around 414 hp for an NA 5.8, less than the Coyote makes. It's a crap motor NA.

2014 is the end of the line for the 5.4/5.8 Condor/Trinity. The 2015 Expedition is dropping the 5.4 in favor of the 5.0 from the F150 and an optional Ecoboost 3.5, the 2015 Navigator is dropping the 5.4 and will come with the 3.5 Ecoboost standard. Ford isn't going to keep that engine family going just for one car.

americansteel

Banned
There is no NA 5.8 nor will there be.

They would need different heads, different cams, different pistons, a different intake, etc., they couldn't just take off the supercharger or it would be a dog. Complete redesign, which isn't happening at this point in the lifecycle.

The 2000 Cobra R with the 5.4 made 385 hp NA, adjusting for the extra displacement, you'd be looking at around 414 hp for an NA 5.8, less than the Coyote makes. It's a crap motor NA.

2014 is the end of the line for the 5.4/5.8 Condor/Trinity. The 2015 Expedition is dropping the 5.4 in favor of the 5.0 from the F150 and an optional Ecoboost 3.5, the 2015 Navigator is dropping the 5.4 and will come with the 3.5 Ecoboost standard. Ford isn't going to keep that engine family going just for one car.

sorry bud 5.8l in N/A form for the mustang and the blown 5.8L the engine is staying for SVT.
btw I happen to have built a 5.4l svt cobra motor, in N/A those cams sucked, but of course I had to get a different set with a tad different duration that engine made 476HP.
the expedition will get the 5.0 and the eco-boost will not be offered as far as I know.
ford doesn't have to make a different set of heads for the 5.8l to make it work in a N/A car, a manifold? yes.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
From what I understand the voodoo motor was reported to be a twin turbo 5.0. This came from car and driver.....

americansteel

Banned
The company I work for was issued an RFQ for this engine..

It's very interesting indeed..

just got off the phone with my friend, was told there are multiple rumors that have been going around so much infact that ford has taken notice of this "voodoo" engine last time the voodoo term was used was in 08 and 09. no such thing!

darreng505

Established Member
just got off the phone with my friend, was told there are multiple rumors that have been going around so much infact that ford has taken notice of this "voodoo" engine last time the voodoo term was used was in 08 and 09. no such thing!

I just got off the phone with "my friend" and he said your friend is wrong.

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
a friend? wasn't it a nephew's cousins former roommate?

Jroc

Established Member
I hope Ford drops the 5.4/5.8's from it's lineup. The 5.4 was built to be a truck motor. It was made more for a broader torque curve, and better lowend torque than making more HP over a 4.6. The 5.4/5.8 is overstroked for a performance car motor. Sure it has tons of power potential when boosted, but that's any DOHC Ford v8. The 5.4/5.8 are not great high RPM motors, and don't bring up the fact that a 5.8 redlines at 7000 RPM's because I know, and I also know a Roadrunner will live happy at 8,200 RPM with just a tune to tell it to let it redline there. Again it's stroke is too long. 4.165" of stroke makes for some extremely high piston speeds at higher RPM's. The only factory gas motor I know of that came with a longer stroke was a Vortec 8100. Even all your old BB motors don't have a stroke as long as a 5.4.

This long stroke also makes for a noticeably taller, and heavier motor that carries it's weight higher in the chassis than a 4.6/5.0.

Last edited:

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
Just got off the interwebz with a friend of a friend. He said you just tell ford what size motor and how much HP you want and they can do it. Want an all motor 12.52L monster V10? Done son.

specizripn

Established Member
Oh no this AmericanSteel guy is trolling again :bash: If you truly had an all knowing friend you would know you were right and wouldn't have to try to prove it to a bunch of people on a forum, you could sit back and have the last laugh... If you wan't to prove that you are right then sit back and watch people dream and laugh but don't say anything, but arguing isn't going to make people believe you. Just some food for thought :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread