6.4 Powerstroke Teardown/Build thread

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
As you found, plugging in is going to be your best bet.

Unfortunately, an outlet is not always available. When I am at a customers, I can't plug in. Not an issue if I'm only there a couple of hours, but more than that and it smokes like a train. Occasionally, even after being plugged in, it will be idling fine and then it wil start missing and idling rough. I shut it off and start it back up and it's fine.

TOPLESS_SVT

Established Member
I can tell you it is expensive to have someone else do the work for you.
I was 20 grand into my truck, all because i was working on the road, didnt have a shop, or the time to do it myself.

but all in I love the truck and glad to have done it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Unfortunately, an outlet is not always available. When I am at a customers, I can't plug in. Not an issue if I'm only there a couple of hours, but more than that and it smokes like a train. Occasionally, even after being plugged in, it will be idling fine and then it wil start missing and idling rough. I shut it off and start it back up and it's fine.

I sure you could get a custom tune that could inject less fuel when the engine is super cold. Who do you use for tuning now?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I sure you could get a custom tune that could inject less fuel when the engine is super cold. Who do you use for tuning now?

KEM. I have spoken to him about the problem, but he doesn't sound too excited about doing a custom tune for this.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I used IDP when I first deleted and tuned my truck. It went like a raped ape, but never shifted right. I called numerous times to get it solved, but never could get a call back or my tune updated. 25k after tuning, my tranny went bye bye. Have run Mike's tunes ever since, not a single problem. Needless to say, I'm a little hesitant to go back to IDP.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Now that it's getting cold again my truck is also back to it's chugging and smoking ways on startup in the morning. Some people have said bumping rail pressure at idle may help, but most people are also running standard compression pistons. The chugging and smoking comes from a lack of compression to light off the cylinder when it's cold so I'm not sure that increased rail pressure will make any difference on our trucks.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
After talking with Mike at KEM, he questioned why go with lower compression pistons. He said they usually are for highly modified motors that are used for pulling etc. High boost applications. It is what it is, too late to change now. I'm just hoping that I can reduce the smoke.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ressurecting this old thread. Have about 16k on the rebuild now and truck runs great. I did have to replace the FRP harness after replacing the FRP sensor.

I would also like to reduce the smoke on cold start. Anyone running a tune that addresses this issue?
Only so much you can do with lowered compression. Any of the custom tuners should be able to raise your idle ICP and help a bit.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
After talking with Mike at KEM, he questioned why go with lower compression pistons. He said they usually are for highly modified motors that are used for pulling etc. High boost applications. It is what it is, too late to change now. I'm just hoping that I can reduce the smoke.

That's not entirely right. Most every aftermarket cam should have ptv checked, and most need flycuts. Mine will get them.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Now that it's getting cold again my truck is also back to it's chugging and smoking ways on startup in the morning. Some people have said bumping rail pressure at idle may help, but most people are also running standard compression pistons. The chugging and smoking comes from a lack of compression to light off the cylinder when it's cold so I'm not sure that increased rail pressure will make any difference on our trucks.

Someone with IDS could easily test this. If y'all were close I'd do it. You can raise the rail pressure while idling, along with a variety of other parameters to see what helps the most.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone with IDS could easily test this. If y'all were close I'd do it. You can raise the rail pressure while idling, along with a variety of other parameters to see what helps the most.
I was looking for a local tuner that could do this. Having a hard time getting someone that really knows what they're doing.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I was looking for a local tuner that could do this. Having a hard time getting someone that really knows what they're doing.
No real need for a local tuner with diesels, go with a known reputable tuner remotely. No Limit fab can set you up with Tyrant tunes. Or Midwest Diesel and auto is excellent as well.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thinking out loud here, I bet you could mess with timing(in the tune) to get cylinder pressure up at idle that way as well. Hmm

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Good suggestion. I'll keep looking around for a tuner with experience in tuning for this combo.
Morgan@Midwest is a very smart guy on these. He will definitely take care of you, and hopefully the tune can do the trick, or at least make it lesser. He does my tuning and some of my other work. They will most definitely build my motor when the times comes.

http://www.midwestdieselauto.com/

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Got peer pressured into putting this on the dyno today. Made 542/1042. Not bad for a 161k mile fuel pump and injectors

d5e2343e26c218d285c668f61a429b20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Was that what you were expecting? More/less?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Was that what you were expecting? More/less?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Right about that, seems like stock fuel trucks are always about mid 500’s wheel unless you get a real happy dyno

Sweet. I always wondered what mine was putting down, but now it's gone.

Smart man. I was somewhat close to sending mine down the road a couple months ago for a 2015 6.7 dually but it was bought out from under me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread