6.4 Powerstroke

hotrodjcc

Established Member
I've got a 6.4 powerstroke that recently went out of warranty. What "offroad" mods/ tuners are the best to get? I hear everyone talking Spartan/H&S on the tuners. I've seen a few of you guys post about diesels so I figured I'd throw this out there for a little advice.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I have a 6.0 and tried tunes from just about everyone and still go back to my tune from Eric at Innovative Diesel.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
im a member on Powerstrokearmy.com, a lot of good info over there. I mostly read the 6.7 section and everyone swears buy their Gearhead tunes. They say has the best Power/Driveability/Trans tune

tj04cobra

Established Member
im a member on Powerstrokearmy.com, a lot of good info over there. I mostly read the 6.7 section and everyone swears buy their Gearhead tunes. They say has the best Power/Driveability/Trans tune

So am I and I agree that there is a lot of good info over there as well.

OP-If you can get your hands on an H&S mini max that'd be great. The price of that tuner tho has more than doubled in the last 3 years and now they are getting harder to find. If you buy a mini max, you can get H&S' MCC software to run custom tunes on it if you'd like and I agree with the above that gearhead has some good tuning. I have gear head tunes on my 6.0 and they are great.

coposrv

Established Member
I have a 6.0 but Gearhead has been the strongest, best shifting tune I have ever run. All around i think its the best.

02Toner

Established Member
^+1 I also have a 6.0 with Matt @ GearHead tunes. I love them, great power and responsiveness while still being smooth and very very clean. He built his rep becoming one of the 'cleanest' tuners out there. No need to roll coal like a teenage punk.

When I researched 6.4's before I bought my truck people seemed to like Matt's tunes for them as well. I think you can use a SCT or a Mini Max with MCC for the 6.4

MTBSully

Established Member
My buddy loves his H&S mini maxx but they are pricey. Especially now since the EPA is cracking down on them

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
im a member on Powerstrokearmy.com, a lot of good info over there.

Don't even get me started on that place. Just like any other forum I suppose, full of internet experts.

I have an H&S on my 6.4. No complaints here.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Stay away from spartan i know those guys like to blow transmissions. I got a H&S in my 6.7 i like it seems to be working out so far. Having a buddy that beats the piss out of his truck and blew many transmissions the best way to go is get it custom tuned for both trans and motor.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Stay away from spartan i know those guys like to blow transmissions. I got a H&S in my 6.7 i like it seems to be working out so far. Having a buddy that beats the piss out of his truck and blew many transmissions the best way to go is get it custom tuned for both trans and motor.

Anything will blow the trans if you beat on it. With the power that the 6.4 and 6.7 make from just a tune and emissions delete, I'm surprised transmission problems aren't more common.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
The TorqueShift is a pretty amazing piece of hardware especially considering the abuse it withstandings when paired with a tunes truck.

I don't know about now because I stopped reading into the modding scene for these trucks a few years ago, but I do know that when the 6.4s first started to get tuned some of Spartans bigger tunes seemed to be killing transmissions.

It doesn't really matter who you go with, if I were to do it all over again I'd immediately start saving for big ticket items such as studs, transmission, etc after first starting to mod.

hotrodjcc

Established Member
I ordered my down pipe/back exhaust, EGR cooler deletes, cold side intercooler pipe, S&B cold air box, but I am still on the fence about which tuner to go with. 2 local guys/shops promote the H&S and Spartan, I am really just trying to kick up my relibility and MPG, though maybe romp on a camaro every now and then.
I know the guy running the Spartan tune out ran my 03 at the track with a holeshot 12.67

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I've heard of quite a few people liking the Gearhead tunes too.
That's what I ran in my 6.0L. My buddy had Innovative, they were very comparable, except his smoked more.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I also run the KEM tune. I had ID's tune on it before but my tranny went bye bye in 25k miles. KEM tune now for 35k and no problems.

hotrodjcc

Established Member
Paint the grill green and black or leave chrome?
9366b35d-93bc-4446-9908-0a71db787b95_zps9b3de80d.jpg

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
I have a 6.4, that has had 5 transmissions and 3 engines in 50,500 miles. First trans went at 5500 miles with the edge tuner, then installed the full suncoast at the time. Second through fifth transmissions had the Spartan 275 tune with the TCM module ( the failures were clutches, torque converter, and every darn little shaft each breaking individually). Second engine failure was blown HG's, as I had to get to an emergency fast at 4400 RPM for miles. Now I am rebuilding the engine the third time with hardcore parts and we are using the H&S tuner......

When you add any tuner, get head studs and don't go crazy or you will crack pistons, etc..... These trucks when they break are VERY EXPENSIVE!

You will double your mileage with the right tune and parts!

More boost and enjoy!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread