6.4L PowerStroke Fuel Economy Help

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Recently, I bought a 2008 F250 6.4L Powerstroke.

Its now my DD and Im getting about 14mpg.

Id like to save some fuel. With that said, I DO NOT want a Performance 50lbs of boost pop the head gaskets set up... I just want to get some better MPG.

Discuss.

colin450

Established Member
DPF delete with a tune that runs the stock horsepower. I think Spartan or H&S Minimaxx are two of the more popular ones for 6.4 Powerstrokes.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Can I order an SCT generically if I delete the dpf? Or does it need to be custom tuned?

Not sure how it still is after the EPA crackdown, but most "off-road" tuners are just plug and play for an EGR/DPF delete.

Get yourself a tuner, do the delete, set it on the lowest power level, and with a fairly advanced timing. That should give you optimal fuel economy. Of course with the timing cranked up, don't mash on it cold, and back off if you hear a ton of rattling.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not sure how it still is after the EPA crackdown, but most "off-road" tuners are just plug and play for an EGR/DPF delete.

Get yourself a tuner, do the delete, set it on the lowest power level, and with a fairly advanced timing. That should give you optimal fuel economy. Of course with the timing cranked up, don't mash on it cold, and back off if you hear a ton of rattling.

The advanced timing is the key to better mileage. But just like ShS said, be careful with it. Abusing a lot of timing can cost you a head gasket, or worse.

In my experience, 6.4s just don't get great mileage. 17 MPG on the highway is about the best I could ever get out of the SVTP F-350, and it has the works.

Tezz500

Established Member

The advanced timing is the key to better mileage. But just like ShS said, be careful with it. Abusing a lot of timing can cost you a head gasket, or worse.

In my experience, 6.4s just don't get great mileage. 17 MPG on the highway is about the best I could ever get out of the SVTP F-350, and it has the works.

10-4. Im not looking to hot rod at all. Id just like 2-3 more mpg.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
As others suggested. Get the usual mods. Intake, tune,
DPF and EGR delete....

The 6.4's just dont get crazy good mileage. I get 13mpg 100% city driving, 17-19mpg highway and 12mpg towing my 8000lb camper. My truck gets the best mileage on the "Hot" tune which is a 300HP tune. I daily drive it on this tune also, H&S XRT Pro Tuner with HD300 tune.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
...My truck gets the best mileage on the "Hot" tune which is a 300HP tune...

I remember back when I had my 6.4 that this was the general consensus. Everybody seemed to get better mileage on the "hot" tunes even if they weren;t lead footing it...Seemed like the stock power level tunes did little for mpg gains...

Don't feel too bad about your 14mpg...Thats what mine got stock as well...Once I put 35" Nittos on it 11mpg was more realistic...12 coasting downhill...

YJSONLY

Established Member
not an option at this time. I need to keep this for about 2 years.

How many miles you put on in a year? Might be better off to eat the mpgs vs spending several gs and wait to get a 6.7 or other better fuel milage truck. The 6.4 are a hog in stock form thanks to the EPA.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Probably 10-15k

If it's still under warranty I wouldn't dare. And if you know that you will be trading it in might be a waste with only 10-15k miles a year. I would price all the stuff and go from there. I know the tuners went crazy a while back bc of the EPA crackdown.

Tezz500

Established Member
30k miles= an estimated $8500 in fuel at 4$ a gallon getting 14mpg

30k miles= an estimated $7058 In fuel at 4$ a gallon getting 17mph...
1500 in savings if I can get 17mph.

Users who are viewing this thread