95 Cobra R - CEL triggered

UKCobra

Established Member
Hi

I still own car #61, having owned it since 2002. It does not get driven very much, and while driving it to a RHD Mustang launch event in my home town in Reading, UK, it threw a CEL. The CEL comes on after a few minutes and does not flash.
Once the engine is switched off and back on, the light does not come back on until a few minutes pass. There is a hot smell, that I would want to investigate the O2 sensors or Coolant level.

I have ordered an OBD I code reader, and it's on it's way to me from the US.

Any pointers ?

I have tried to check the coolant level from the higher of the two radiator / coolant caps. I cannot get the one by the strut brace open. Is there a trick to it ?

I do so little mileage on the R, I don't check anything but the oil. So this maybe a result of my low usage of the car.

Appreciate any guidance and a working link to the Cobra R supplement, as my car did not come with one, and most links I have found are broken to the original doc.

Regards

Mark

UKCobra

Established Member
Mark, the cap comes off like any normal radiator cap. Push down slightly and rotate.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You can tell I've not done this very often in the 14 years I have owned the 95R !

I did try that, and it did not come off, so I will give it another go.

I want to check the fluid level, and if i remember correctly, it should be filled to the top of the second cap ?

Regards
Mark

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Since it hasn't been removed often, I would guess it is stuck. You need to apply downward pressure as you turn. This is how most US caps come off. I don't know how you do things across the pond on vehicles.

I would not fill it to the top of the degas bottle. You always get some expansion when a motor gets to operating temperature and that is just going to get pushed out. Like I said, I usually fill it so I see a little in the bottom of the degas bottle and that is all.

Tom

UKCobra

Established Member
My Code Reader finally arrived and I have run through the tests :

It displays :

10 - Not sure what that is as the Code Book does not start until 11 !
111 - System Pass
332 - Which is Insufficient EGR Flow

I am visiting Florida for vacation from Wednesday, so prime opportunity to grab some parts and fill my case.

Researching the code gives many faults from poor vacuum lines to DPFE Sensor and EGR Valve's being replaced. The car is 21 Years old, and has done 11,000 miles, all typically longer journeys to shows etc. It does not do short start stop trips. So my thoughts are that the Sensor or Valve are defective, or possibly a split pipe. I will check the hoses, but I think ultimately I will probably need a part or two.

Searching through the Rock Auto pages gives some part options.

If there are any suggestions as to what I need to order that would help, and I can stop by whatever Parts supplier is nearby during my vacation.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Mark, since you will be in Florida, would it be worth stopping by Steeda, and maybe see if you could talk to one of their mechanics, since they were so involved in racing and building R race and track cars ? Maybe they would have some new old stock parts / hoses ????

UKCobra

Established Member
Thought I would update this thread and share some knowledge.

The CEL issue was solved by replacement of the EGR value and Solenoid. The EGR valve was hidden in the passenger wing area, and needed the wing shielding removed according to my mechanic. This would explain why I could not see it. He indicated the pipework was in good shape but needed careful teasing of the pipe trying to get it off, with some careful heating and freeing up. In his experience trying to rush the removal of the pipework can yield split or damaged pipes.

I went to NAPA while on holiday in Orlando back in April, gave them the VIN and they provided both parts which were correct. They were not cheap, but they did the job.

Thanks to everyone for their input to this issue.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread