98 F150 bed/quarter panel replacement.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I did a quick Google search but found nothing, so I was wondering if someone here knew what it might take to replace the right side bed panel on a 98 F150? It looks like just a few screws and bolts, but I can't really check out the truck in question enough to get an accurate idea.

Is it possible just to replace the outer skin, or is there more to it? The dent is pretty big and creased, but the inside of the bed is untouched. It was taken to a body shop and an estimate of $3000 was given.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: FWIW the truck layout is a super cab long box.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Never seen the bed panels removed from the actual bed, I thought they were welded on.

You should be able to get a clean bed for under a grand though

oldmodman

Established Member
Here's a fender on Amazon. Does it look like the one on your truck?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PICKUP-FENDER-Lightning-Regular-Flareside/dp/B000E4QHDQ]Amazon.com: 97-03 FORD F150 PICKUP REAR FENDER LH (DRIVER SIDE) TRUCK, Side Panel Outer, w/o Wheel Opng. Mldgs. & Lightning Model, Regular/Super Cab, Flareside (1997 97 1998 98 1999 99 2000 00 2001 01 2002 02 200: Automotive[/ame]

tj04cobra

Established Member
That link showed me a flare side bed. I think he said it was long bed. But damn you can find just about anything on amazon lol.

Op- I'd find the best junk yard bed you could find and paint it to match if it doesn't already. You would come out way ahead on the ordeal that way

Monster Mach

Established Member
I did a quick Google search but found nothing, so I was wondering if someone here knew what it might take to replace the right side bed panel on a 98 F150? It looks like just a few screws and bolts, but I can't really check out the truck in question enough to get an accurate idea.

Is it possible just to replace the outer skin, or is there more to it? The dent is pretty big and creased, but the inside of the bed is untouched. It was taken to a body shop and an estimate of $3000 was given.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: FWIW the truck layout is a super cab long box.

We had to do this on our 99 it was actually cheaper to go buy a new box... almost every junk yard has them.. task was to repaint.. ours was the driver side though.. a tree fell on it before we bought it..

This is here just to piss you off :)

jliddle

Established Member
On those beds the sides are spot welded on. Along the inside of the rail, in the tail light pocket, along the headboard, and possible in the well.

Its not all that big of a job to replace it. If I was to guess at a estimate I would say it would layout like this:

1. Price of a skin - Aftermarket or OEM. Entirely up to you unless its going in as a insurance claim. I would prefer a OEM just because its a better part, better fit and finish, better metal. However they cost more...

2. Labor - I would guess around 15hrs of repair time. This would include removing the box, removing and reinstalling skin, reassembly.

3. Materials - There is NO cheap way out of this.

Its hard to guess a exact dollar amount due to variations between different shops labor/materials rate.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I was really hoping it wasn't welded on, but I guess that's how it goes.

We had to do this on our 99 it was actually cheaper to go buy a new box... almost every junk yard has them.. task was to repaint.. ours was the driver side though.. a tree fell on it before we bought it..

How hard was it to do the box? Was it just the 6 bolts and the wiring or is there a lot more than meets the eye?

Monster Mach

Established Member
I was really hoping it wasn't welded on, but I guess that's how it goes.

How hard was it to do the box? Was it just the 6 bolts and the wiring or is there a lot more than meets the eye?

Just a few bolts and the wires are clipped in.. box was extreamly simple.. had a engine hoist and lifted the old one off.. then threw the new painted one on.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
How bad is the bedside?

I've fixed a couple that probably would have been easier to replace.

But like stated above, they're weld-on.
I'd prefer an OEM panel as well, fit and finish are worlds apart.

Barricade_643

Established Member
Can you find me that drivers side flareside quarter? Is it gone.....?

Amazon shows nothing and that is exactly what I need. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread