Alot of condensation coming from tail pipes????

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
I know this is questionable topic.. But i put this car together stock long block car has been sitting a year or so and long block 6-7 months... anyways got it running and im seeing alot of condensation.. Is this normal.. both sides i look in tail pipes and there is spots everywhere and water dripping out.. exhaust smoke coming from tail pipes i tasted the water and it taste like water.. could it just be some shitty gas sitting for a year and from the car/engine sitting so long.. Runs good and idles perfect.. I have had a head gasket bad before and this shows no symptons of that but i maybe wrong.. Long block ran fine when pulled i have put about 1mile on the car..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
With or without cats?

Without cats to turn it into steam, condensation can be significant.

If it goes away after warm up is complete, I suspect it is just normal condensation.

If it continues well after warm up is complete, it should smell like antifreeze, unless you are running straight water.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
I let the car run for 30 min today and still had water dripping from exhaust.. i didnt look in exhaust but it was at normal temp. No cats. It was up to warm temp and i tasted the drip and it still tasted like water.... I just never had a cobra that did this that much.. Doesnt smell like anit freeze either.

mustanginky

Established Member
dunno if it's a new to you car or not, are you running straight water through the cooling system?

weird that it would do that. drive it around to blow that crap out of there.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
I just dont want to run into another blown head gasket.. Car hasnt seen but 10lbs of boost on the 1 mile i have put on the car

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
mine did the same when I fired it up a couple weeks ago- and i had a shitload of coolant disappear from the overflow tank- freaked me out. but I did a vacuum test on the coolant system and it checked out- filled the overflow to capacity- have been driving the car around and the condensation has gone away. just check your coolant levels and I am positive you are ok.

toomanytoys

Established Member
Does anybody realize he is TASTING whats coming out of his pipes?!

Dude, its condensation. With all of this water coming out your exhaust your coolant level would have dropped significantly if it was a head gasket or some other leak.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
ya havent really drove it just let it sit and idle.. Trying to get the year old gas out.. I check coolant levels while the car was running. There was none in the tank.. But im not sure how much was in it because i have a aluminum tank and couldnt really see in it.. But i guess as long as what im tasting coming out of the exhaust taste like water i should be in the clear??.. Car isnt missing or anything like my other cobra did when it had a bad gasket... I did notice alot of white/brown dots all over the back bumper.. decent size.. could of been the rust in the exhuast and the mositure bring it out. 'Just find it very hard to believe that with the one mile i maybe put on the car it has seen maybe 10lbs boost for a breif sec.. and it has never over heated... or even gotten past the normal heat temp

Last edited:

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
my oil seperater had a good amount of water in it... Thats probably what my problem was. It sat so long..It got iced over in the winter time

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
based on my experience with my old foxbody with a vortech, when my oil seperator had a good amount of water in it, it was usually a failed head gasket from lifting the head in boost.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
If you read i have only put 1 mile maybe on the car at the most see 10lbs boost for a quick second.. It was water.. not coolant.. Clear and tasted like water.. Not coolant

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
took it out for a better drive alot of its gone now.. Well i think most of its gone. I think it had alot to do with the fuel.. good to go now. I was just getting parnoid.

SVTDice

Established Member
Glad its working out for you. Honestly if your worried give the car a day or two with a few easy drives and see if it gets better.

By the way did you change anything else before you started the car? Oil? Fluids? Etc?

Users who are viewing this thread