Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
What do you do? How did you get into it? Do you regret your decision not to go to/finish college?

assasyn

Established Member
I do. I sell fabricating equipment and run the office for the company. Yes and no. There are good things about finishing school, but I see a lot of people that went to college for 4 years or more and don't make that much money.

The problem is a lot of people don't know how to work when they get out of school.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I dont make that much money now and i have my degree. I will "top-off" higher then someone w/o a degree though (well at least thats the way it seems in my experience). I've definitely met people that make decent money w/o a degree...but they usually own their own business.

Burn'nRubber

Established Member
I am working towards a degree in psychology. I plan to become a drug addiction psychiatrist.

My father on the other hand does not have a college degree. He is a timber harvester. Although by no means a steady income, due to the weather, he averages more than 50k a year. His best I believe was a little over 100k, not including expenses: equipment failures, employees, etc. Not a bad job if you are content working your ass off. He loves it though, which is all that matters. I have always heard "If you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life."

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Im only at $30,000 right now but im only 20 and i dont have an college at all...I work for Granite Construction Company in Santa Barbara...Its a good company and my salary can only get higher :)

ViciousJay

Established Member
wals9331 said:
I dont make that much money now and i have my degree. I will "top-off" higher then someone w/o a degree though (well at least thats the way it seems in my experience). I've definitely met people that make decent money w/o a degree...but they usually own their own business.

dont bet on it... more people without college degrees run business then people that do... im self taught and just fine with that... sure ill do a computer class here and there... but everything in the computer world i learned came from trial and error and teaching myself not from some school...

seriously i see college as another way of wasting money... screw math, history, science and blah blah blah what am i gonna use it for? NOTHING... you know what they need to do is make programs for jobs and thats it... like you wanna be a cop... heres law enforcement school... no college... or you wana be a doctor? ok heres med school... i think college is nothing more then a party and time waster... its funny cuz im smarter then most of the people i work with... i say let them have their 4 year degrees cuz their still morons with a peice of paper

Last edited:

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
I'm making about 45,000 a year at 26 with no degree. I should break 50 next year. I'm a shipping manager/freight coordinator. I worked my way up. It's all a matter of how you relate to your bosses. WORK HARD, but don't blatantly kiss ass. Show autonomy and industriousness to the max, and be as reliable as you can. Dress WELL!!!!

Well, I take that back, I have some college, quite a bit actually. I just don't have an actual degree. HOnestly, yes I do regret not finishing school. That's why i'm going back.

Intelligence and hard work will get you far. Of course a degree helps out alot, but once in the job, nobody cares about that piece of paper, it's all about performance.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Spartan said:
dont bet on it... more people without college degrees run business then people that do... im self taught and just fine with that... sure ill do a computer class here and there... but everything in the computer world i learned came from trial and error and teaching myself not from some school...

I'm an engineer....ill be just fine :lol:

ViciousJay

Established Member
thats ok for you... needless to say with a 2 week course i can start making 100K off the top compard to your 4 years and waiting for promotions :D

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Spartan said:
thats ok for you... needless to say with a 2 week course i can start making 100K off the top compard to your 4 years and waiting for promotions :D

Says a lot of people...and they make less then me :shrug: .

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
College works for some people, and it doesn't for others. I'm kind of torn right now between going to Fire/EMT school and straight to work, or getting back in college and finishing my degree in construction. Technically I don't even need to finish my degree to get my general contractor's license...I just need a year on the job as a foreman and I'll have all the required experience to take the test. And if I'm licensed, then I become a partner in my dad's company, which means over 100K/year. I just don't know if thats what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I clear way above that. I work in retail management. If I could do it over again I would have finnished school or even a trade school. I am lucky I make as much as I do with out a degree.

PS I love my job!

ViciousJay

Established Member
cent if i were you id do the EMT/Fire, then while you do that job you could do a side job with time off and make double income :D

FYI im 3 classes away from getting Degree in Criminal Justice but i figure our system is F*#%ed anyways why bother, im not superman and i cant save everyone so i took a god given talent nd im running with it

Last edited:

JP Cobra

Sarcasm at its Finest
Established Member
College degree = higher starting salary, better job placement, etc

Its a statisical fact. Of course theres exceptions to every rule. But for every person on here saying they didnt go to college and are making more then they would have if they went...theres another dozen non-college students who are making min-wage at walmart.

sub92loyill

short was never this wide
Established Member
Spartan said:

seriously i see college as another way of wasting money... screw math, history, science and blah blah blah what am i gonna use it for? NOTHING... you know what they need to do is make programs for jobs and thats it... like you wanna be a cop... heres law enforcement school... no college... or you wana be a doctor? ok heres med school... i think college is nothing more then a party and time waster... its funny cuz im smarter then most of the people i work with... i say let them have their 4 year degrees cuz their still morons with a peice of paper

Not to be a d!ck, but this post sounds cocky as hell and is littered with spelling errors. College is doing me just fine, and I'm not wasting my time at all. I take offense to the fact that someone thinks college is ALL about partying, because I work my ass off (and party hard too). And when I graduate - I will do the same.

svtVillain said:

Its a statisical fact. Of course theres exceptions to every rule. But for every person on here saying they didnt go to college and are making more then they would have if they went...theres another dozen non-college students who are making min-wage at walmart.

+1 100% correct.

ViciousJay

Established Member
svtVillain said:

not true at all my good man...i gott a friend that didnt even bother going to college and becuase he has people skills is making 70K+ as a manager at a carwash sniffing HOT MILFS seats :lol1:

as a matter of cat out of all my friends that have degrees and others that dont the ones that dont make more money... hmmmm :shrug: go , college is not what it used to be like... now any moron can get in with a f***in pen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread