Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

bouncer18

Established Member
im 27
last year i made 56k
this year i should make over 62 if things go as planned and what not...
(hard to say what the trend will be in retail)
started on the bottom and have worked my way up... hasnt been easy.. no job security either

brother went to college and graduated.. he got a job starting at 60k .. was promoted twice in teh alst year and now makes 100K + bonus + expense repor
and job security per his position with his company.

i wish i finished college

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I'm north of $100K/year but it has alot to do with experience. Retired military with 24yrs and currently working as a network engineer for the US goverment. Uncle Sam has been very good to me. Just started my first class toward a degree. The degree is for personal reasons and to ensure i stay competative in the job market.

724COBRA

Established Member
Spartan said:
dont bet on it... more people without college degrees run business then people that do... im self taught and just fine with that... sure ill do a computer class here and there... but everything in the computer world i learned came from trial and error and teaching myself not from some school...

seriously i see college as another way of wasting money... screw math, history, science and blah blah blah what am i gonna use it for? NOTHING... you know what they need to do is make programs for jobs and thats it... like you wanna be a cop... heres law enforcement school... no college... or you wana be a doctor? ok heres med school... i think college is nothing more then a party and time waster... its funny cuz im smarter then most of the people i work with... i say let them have their 4 year degrees cuz their still morons with a peice of paper

That is one of the stupidest statements i have ever read. I would like to see some proof that more people without education run businesses than people who do.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
This is not a battle of people with degrees and people without, each person has their own personal preferences and different situations. I know people with degrees who are still absolute idiots and people without degrees who are driven to succeed no matter what career they chose. It goes both ways. I respect both person who chose or not chose to put themselves through school.

ViciousJay

Established Member
je99gt said:
That is one of the stupidest statements i have ever read. I would like to see some proof that more people without education run businesses than people who do.
are you kidding me, try reading the wall street journal and forbes my friend.... some of rishest people in the world dont have a college education

Last edited:

assasyn

Established Member
Here is a fact that grads and non-grads alike can go by. 99% of the time in business it's who you know, not what you know. Throw in hard work and determination and you have a winning combination.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Spartan said:
are you kidding me, try reading the wall street journal and forbes my friend.... some of rishest people in the world have college education

Thats not proof of anything....

You need FACTS to support your claim.

JP Cobra

Sarcasm at its Finest
Established Member
Spartan said:
not true at all my good man...i gott a friend that didnt even bother going to college and becuase he has people skills is making 70K+ as a manager at a carwash sniffing HOT MILFS seats :lol1:

You're kidding right. Did you even read my post?

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
je99gt said:

I don't know man..............look at how many welders,remodeling companies,lawn care services,landscapers, etc. start their own companies. Most of those guys don't have college degrees and they own a business.

50 Proof

Established Member
Spartan said:
dont bet on it... more people without college degrees run business then people that do...
Do you have statistics to back this up, or is it just your opinion that there are more people without college degrees running businesses? I understand Bill Gates and Michael Dell are not college educated, but they do not constitute for the vast majority of businesses in the United States.

My dad works at Northrop Grumman as an aircraft mechanic building F-18 Super Hornets for the government. He's probably one of the most skilled in his department. It's a very highly skilled position. He makes maybe 80k or so a year on overtime. It took him a good majority of his life to get there. I'm 27 years old and earn a salary over 50k a year on a 40 hour work week, close to 3/4's his income after overtime. The position I'm in is a level 1 entry level position too. I graduated college and he didn't.

Spartan said:
seriously i see college as another way of wasting money... screw math, history, science and blah blah blah what am i gonna use it for? NOTHING... you know what they need to do is make programs for jobs and thats it... like you wanna be a cop... heres law enforcement school... no college... or you wana be a doctor? ok heres med school... i think college is nothing more then a party and time waster... its funny cuz im smarter then most of the people i work with... i say let them have their 4 year degrees cuz their still morons with a peice of paper

Wow!!! Just Wow!!!
College is more than just learning math, science, etc. It teaches you critical thinking skills. College helps to develop your brain and your thought process. It teaches you analytical skills.

Screw math? How do you expect to be able to run a business if you don't even know basic financial accounting skills?

Oh and welcome to yesterday, there is law enforcement school for cops. Want to be a cop? If they hire you, you go through their boot camp like training program where they train you how to be a cop. Most cities where I live do not require a bachelors degree to become a cop.

Granted a lot of people do graduate college and are still morons, I agree with you on that one. However, there are a large percentage of people who do get something out of college, these are typically the people earning high incomes that those without a college degree can't achieve or will spend a lifetime to achieve.

Everyone's situation is different. There are people who never graduated college who make tons of money. You just have to know the right field to get into. There is no real answer to the question in the original post.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
theres proof go read it seriously...

anyways im pulling out cuz like id do to a cheap date... im doing just fine without a college education... some of you need it, i certainly dont... i have better people skills and problem solving experience then most, thats why i get paid to do what i do :)

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
assasyn said:
Here is a fact that grads and non-grads alike can go by. 99% of the time in business it's who you know, not what you know. Throw in hard work and determination and you have a winning combination.

THANK YOU! There are too many college educated dweebs out there stuck in a cubicle because they don't know anyone and have no social skills.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Spartan said:
theres proof go read it seriously...

anyways im pulling out cuz like id do to a cheap date... im doing just fine without a college education... some of you need it, i certainly dont... i have better people skills and problem solving experience then most, thats why i get paid to do what i do :)

If i made a claim to my customers and used, "Theres proof go read it seriously"....they'd beat me with a faucking shovel.

ViciousJay

Established Member
50 Proof said:
Do you have statistics to back this up, or is it just your opinion that there are more people without college degrees running businesses? I understand Bill Gates and Michael Dell are not college educated, but they do not constitute for the vast majority of businesses in the United States.

My dad works at Northrop Grumman as an aircraft mechanic building F-18 Super Hornets for the government. He's probably one of the most skilled in his department. It's a very highly skilled position. He makes maybe 80k or so a year on overtime. It took him a good majority of his life to get there. I'm 27 years old and earn a salary over 50k a year on a 40 hour work week, close to 3/4's his income after overtime. The position I'm in is a level 1 entry level position too. I graduated college and he didn't.

Wow!!! Just Wow!!!
College is more than just learning math, science, etc. It teaches you critical thinking skills. College helps to develop your brain and your thought process. It teaches you analytical skills.

Screw math? How do you expect to be able to run a business if you don't even know basic financial accounting skills?

Oh and welcome to yesterday, there is law enforcement school for cops. Want to be a cop? If they hire you, you go through their boot camp like training program where they train you how to be a cop. Most cities where I live do not require a bachelors degree to become a cop.

Granted a lot of people do graduate college and are still morons, I agree with you on that one. However, there are a large percentage of people who do get something out of college.
you missing the point... look threw the lines we dont need evey little thing detailed, do i need to caclulus to run a business? NO!

i dont know where you live but i live in a BIG METRO area where you need 4 years to be a cop... maybe in FBE they dont but here you do

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
Owning a business doesnt mean making good $$. Maybe more ppl without degrees own their own business...but that by no means says that they are making more $$ than me.

Who you know helps a lot...and having a degree helps more than not having one. Being that I am an engineer, it is required. I dont really have to worry about $$...I make plenty (been graduated for 2 years)...and in a few months will be making much more than I am now.

Users who are viewing this thread