Anyone using a space heater in their garage?

oldmodman

Established Member
I am in Los Angeles and it was FREEZING last night. must have gotten down to the low 50's
So I fired up the two head burner that mounts to a five gallon propane tank and heated up my garage so I could clay bar the paint.
But that's probably not what you had in mind.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Checkout the Kero-Sun Omni 105 or Toyoset Omni 230.
They can now be found at Walmart under the name Dyna-Glo RMC-95C6B
They are Kerosene heaters that don't use a fan or electricity.
We heated a 1500SQ/FT home during the ice storm of 98 with one and it's very fuel efficient. The smell is virtually non existent if the wick is properly adjusted.

smitty2919

Established Member
I am in Los Angeles and it was FREEZING last night. must have gotten down to the low 50's
So I fired up the two head burner that mounts to a five gallon propane tank and heated up my garage so I could clay bar the paint.
But that's probably not what you had in mind.

LOL "freezing" and 50's. You CA people are soft :) JK!

I'd be comfortable to work on the car in something 60 or above.

madscotsman

Established Member
Where are you? Central Florida? haha, those 1500w heaters barely heat up a room in my house when its 65 inside....
LOL, nope, Indianapolis area. My garage is insulated (Including the door now) and is actually under our master bedroom. It was 22 degrees here this morning and with the "box" heater set on 72, my garage thermometer was reading 76 degrees. Just have this thing in the back of the garage on the floor pointing toward the door between the cars.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ecotroni...er-with-Remote-Control-GD9315BCW-NP/206029078

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-Garage-Door-Insulation-Kit-8-Panels-GD01/202257272

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My garage was 69 degrees this morning. Who needs a heater?

But our garage is fully insulated, including the garage doors...

08mojo

Established Member
OP - How cool does your garage get?

Our 20x20 attached garage is insulated and it holds an inside temperature of +4 Celsius (+39F) when it's -25 Celsius (-13F) outside.
Not freezing, but definitely on the cooler side.

I was looking at the electric 1500w oil-filled heaters, but don't know if they would make a noticeable difference in a garage this size, and also concerned about running costs and potential fire hazard.

My garage is 20x20. I run a 1500W oil-filled heater and it is enough to keep the garage comfortable--in GA. I don't think it would do the trick in Calgary:eek:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Great, now I'm going to go buy something else I don't really need! Tractor Supply has the Mr. Heater Big Buddy on sale for 99 bucks. Gonna swing by on my way home and grab one.

I have a two car garage that is well insulated and surrounded on all sides but the door. Should be plenty to keep it toasty. Never drops below 40 even when its in the negatives outside.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, nope, Indianapolis area. My garage is insulated (Including the door now) and is actually under our master bedroom. It was 22 degrees here this morning and with the "box" heater set on 72, my garage thermometer was reading 76 degrees. Just have this thing in the back of the garage on the floor pointing toward the door between the cars.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ecotroni...er-with-Remote-Control-GD9315BCW-NP/206029078

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-Garage-Door-Insulation-Kit-8-Panels-GD01/202257272

Ohh ok, big difference with a ceiling and maintaining a temp vs heating up from cold. My 24x30' detached garage has insulated walls and door but not ceiling, I can get the air decently warm with my 80k btu propane heater but that concrete slab is another story!

hoamskilet

Established Member
Great, now I'm going to go buy something else I don't really need! Tractor Supply has the Mr. Heater Big Buddy on sale for 99 bucks. Gonna swing by on my way home and grab one.

I have a two car garage that is well insulated and surrounded on all sides but the door. Should be plenty to keep it toasty. Never drops below 40 even when its in the negatives outside.

I've got that heater and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass for me. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, but I have trouble getting it started on a regular basis and often if I try to run it on full heat it wants to shut both sides off.

Last edited:

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I have a diesel powered 150,000 BTU space heater. works well but I feel like i'm going to die from the exhaust fumes. So I have to open up the garage which of course lets out the heat.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I used a kerosene Reddy heater for years and it worked fine. They make a thermostat that you can plug the heater into for added convenience.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I've got that heater and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass for me. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, but I have trouble getting it started on a regular basis and often if I try to run it on full heat it wants to shut both sides off.

Hmmm, you using a 20 pound tank or the little screw on ones? It has good reviews on Amazon.

hoamskilet

Established Member
20lb. I did some quick looking around yesterday to see if I was doing anything wrong and I found a lot of people having the same problems.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I use an old kerosene heater if I'll be out there for a while, just put it by the side door and leave the door cracked an inch or two to vent a little bit. Works like a charm.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
b7494dcbfe5deb5b20240480a8595366.jpg

Love this guy, works like a champ

smitty2919

Established Member
Just did another test on my 2 car attached garage using Mr Heater Big Buddy on High. Went from 42 to 62 in an hour but seem to stabilize there. This time I had both cars in the garage and sat the heater between them.

It's quiet and small which is nice, but at only 18,000 BTU I may have found it's limit.

IMO I want to turn a heater on for roughly 30min prior to going into the garage and have 60+* heat and have it last roughly couple hours. Still leaning toward getting a 30,000-60,000 BTU torpedo unit.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I just use an electric space heater when I'm gonna be out there all day or most of it in the winter & it works quite well. I don't have the model info, but can get it for you if need be. One car garage.

Users who are viewing this thread