Are we going to see an Automatic GT350?

demas

Established Member
With the latest reveals of the upcoming 10 spd auto gear from Ford for 2018, do you think there's a chance to have a GT350 with 10 speed auto?
Or maybe it will be only for the GT500?

What do you think about it? like it?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I believe they are working on an auto for the top dog Mustang be it a 350 or a 500. I'm also crazy enough to believe it might be a hybrid...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I believe they are working on an auto for the top dog Mustang be it a 350 or a 500. I'm also crazy enough to believe it might be a hybrid...
I think the next gen GT500 will come standard with a 6 speed, however I do believe they will have the 10 speed auto as an option, probably around the tune of $1,995.

I would disagree with anyone saying the next top dog will be a hybrid. Fords hybrid program struggles to keep its head above water. No way they would make one of their limited production cars a hybrid.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If any auto transmission appears in a top dog Mustang, it should be the DSG from the Ford GT. Save the torque converter automatics for the lesser Mustangs. The ecoboost will probably be the first Mustang to get the 10-speed auto.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I would disagree with anyone saying the next top dog will be a hybrid. Fords hybrid program struggles to keep its head above water. No way they would make one of their limited production cars a hybrid.

Free your mind as I was told to do. I respect and trust the source that floated the thought after I suggested/asked if it might be a V6.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
imo stick shifts are just useless. you go SLOWER and they suck balls while sitting in traffic. they truly serve no purpose other then for ppl who get their jollys off playing speed racer all nite during the push/pull contest they have with themselves.

I'm sure Ford sees what GM is doing with the ZO6 and their 7 speed auto. won't be long. in fact, thats one of the reasons I didn't even entertain a GT350 or a Gt500 in the past.

and not to mention most ppl that can afford a car like a GT350 are older and have very little interest in playing the stick shift game so I can only imagine how many sales they lose as a result.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Free your mind as I was told to do. I respect and trust the source that floated the thought after I suggested/asked if it might be a V6.
Our sources need to talk, because they're on different pages. I'm not sure who's yours is, but if mine is on the wrong page, Ford is gonna have issues.

Voltwings

Established Member
imo stick shifts are just useless. you go SLOWER and they suck balls while sitting in traffic. they truly serve no purpose other then for ppl who get their jollys off playing speed racer all nite during the push/pull contest they have with themselves.

I'm sure Ford sees what GM is doing with the ZO6 and their 7 speed auto. won't be long. in fact, thats one of the reasons I didn't even entertain a GT350 or a Gt500 in the past.

and not to mention most ppl that can afford a car like a GT350 are older and have very little interest in playing the stick shift game so I can only imagine how many sales they lose as a result.

Porsche made a limited edition GT3 with a stick shift that cost more than the standard GT3 and they were all sold before they hit the show room. Driver's cars are for people who want to drive, and an automatic in a Driver's car makes no sense.

Not to mention that no car that's anywhere near affordable for most track enthusiasts has an auto that's worth half a damn. You think they're going to put a DCT in a miata any time soon?

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member

The Z06 does not have a 7 spd auto. They have a 7 spd manual, and an 8 spd auto. And having driven both at the track, I very much preferred the manual. I don't know if it was any faster or not, but it was definitely more fun and much more engaging, which is what a sports car is supposed to be about.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
well, if your ONLY plan to track ur car and you prefer the stick then yes by all means I agree the stick is preferred but lets be honest how many actually track their car?

and even those that do go to the track how often is that? unless u have the money to buy a GT350 cause u want a dedicated track car then thats a different story.

I'm sure there are manufactures that produce cars on a limited production that are only stick. yea, those are usually TRACK cars and cost $200k. I'm referring to cars we drive daily or at least very often.

and most of ur high end TRACK cars these days shift gears via paddle shift and that is a AUTO trans so whole auto not being worth a dam thing really doesn't hold much water.

which is why you see the ZO6 being offered in an auto now and precisely why nearly all fast 1/4 mile cars are all automatic. its not cause their SLOWER its cause their FASTER.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If a person wants a car simply as an appliance, they buy an automatic. If a person simply wants to get fast times at a drag strip, they get an automatic. If a person actually enjoys driving and wants to be ENGAGED in the driving experience, they get a manual. On a circuit track, the time difference between DSG and traditional manual equipped cars is negligible, at best.

DSG transmissions (on a circuit track) were born more out of the need for consistency and to battle fatigue during endurance races, not because they make a car "faster" around the track. A well driven manual can be every bit as fast around a track.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Pobst ran nearly the same times between the A8 and the M7 C7Z.

I honestly couldn't imagine my fun car being an auto, even a proper dual clutch doesn't do it for me. I like the way engines sound when they are shifted, but that's about it.

But to be fair, I don't drag race anymore.

liter of cola

Established Member
Pobst ran nearly the same times between the A8 and the M7 C7Z.

I honestly couldn't imagine my fun car being an auto, even a proper dual clutch doesn't do it for me. I like the way engines sound when they are shifted, but that's about it.

You can get the same sound frome the manual in the corvette... all you have to do is flat foot shift it. The 7 speed manual in the corvette has flat foot shifting programmed in so if you clutch in while flat on the gas it just holds the revs where you left em until you re engage the clutch. It causes the same excact crazy cracking popping exhaust sounds that these new quick shifting autos cause.

Users who are viewing this thread