ASAP Performance- Worlds quickest ECMLink DSM Eclipse GSX 8.8@159

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
DSM's make sick power, but they are ALL a ticking time bomb. Always something with these car unfortunately, but when they are running, they are hard to beat for the dollar amount.

lolwut.

please explain. Thats like saying an 03/04 Cobra or GT500 is a ticking time bomb.

The 4g63 in the dsm is able to double its stock power unchanged from valve cover to oil pan. Even more if you swap out the stock head gasket with a multi layer metal and put ARP studs in there to alleviate head lift past 25ish psi. Record right now is low 600's AWHP stock motor. Thats from a car that dyno's 170ish WHP stock.

the only motors ive killed (or seen killed) are ones done by owner error. Mine especially, saw low oil pressure, still drove on. about 200mi later spun bearing. whoopsie.

Me and a buddy intentionally tried to destroy a stock 4g63 so he could get his wife to let him buy a built motor. Put the knock sensor to ignore, kept adding timing and taking away fuel (on 91 octane mind you, this was pre e85). Bumped up the boost a bit (this was on a frankenstein 56trim setup). Ended up shredding 4th gear. That motor still runs to this day in another locals car with 180k on it by now, 175psi across last time he did a test.

Time bomb my ass. The only thing wrong with these cars are the owners around the late 90's early 00's that picked them up, did ebay/chinese mods, performed said mods the ghettoest and fastest way possible, and wondered why the cars left them stranded.

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
lolwut.

please explain. Thats like saying an 03/04 Cobra or GT500 is a ticking time bomb.

The 4g63 in the dsm is able to double its stock power unchanged from valve cover to oil pan. Even more if you swap out the stock head gasket with a multi layer metal and put ARP studs in there to alleviate head lift past 25ish psi. Record right now is low 600's AWHP stock motor. Thats from a car that dyno's 170ish WHP stock.

the only motors ive killed (or seen killed) are ones done by owner error. Mine especially, saw low oil pressure, still drove on. about 200mi later spun bearing. whoopsie.

Me and a buddy intentionally tried to destroy a stock 4g63 so he could get his wife to let him buy a built motor. Put the knock sensor to ignore, kept adding timing and taking away fuel (on 91 octane mind you, this was pre e85). Bumped up the boost a bit (this was on a frankenstein 56trim setup). Ended up shredding 4th gear. That motor still runs to this day in another locals car with 180k on it by now, 175psi across last time he did a test.

Time bomb my ass. The only thing wrong with these cars are the owners around the late 90's early 00's that picked them up, did ebay/chinese mods, performed said mods the ghettoest and fastest way possible, and wondered why the cars left them stranded.

Personal experience, lol at how much you really just wrote, that I did not read any of besides line 1.

Slow99x

Established Member
The trans/transfercase was more of a timebomb than the motor. I ran my stock (99 Eclipse GSX) engine on 27-28psi on a FP3052 turbo on 110 octane all the time. The only thing I had done to the motor for that boost was ARP head studs and 272/272 cams. The rest was just your normal supportging mods.

DDogsrt461BLK

Video God
Established Member
that's a baby brother to the Evo 8-9's, 4G63's are nice engines. That little car rolls out, the ass end is all most would see, ain't that bad from the rear. :)

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Personal experience, lol at how much you really just wrote, that I did not read any of besides line 1.

2 people have called you out on your statement and yet you still wan't to stick with your own opinion that probably was based off assumptions and hearsay and no actual experience. So of course you wouldn't ready any of it because it would make you wrong, again.:loser:

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
lolwut.

Thank you. These things are dead reliable. I just picked up a 91 TSi to DD. The worst part is that they became so affordable that young, stupid, irresponsible high school kids started modding them and breaking them and stuff and complaining about how unreliable they are. If you've got even just an ounce of knowledge of how a car works and how to modify/work on one, they'll never give you any trouble.

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
2 people have called you out on your statement and yet you still wan't to stick with your own opinion that probably was based off assumptions and hearsay and no actual experience. So of course you wouldn't ready any of it because it would make you wrong, again.:loser:

First off will say this ^^^ was very cute, and I did get a good giggle or two, thanks! Second, sticking with my opinion because of my previous experiences, yes you are correct. Some people get troubled cars that continue to give them trouble do to parts failing, engine builders, mechanics and so forth. Me explaining myself to you or anyone else is not going to happen because I simply do not need too.

To the Op, great video, yours are always top notch. Unsubscribing from this thread because putting up with idiots who can not take a opinion from personal experience without getting their panties in a wad. I have much more important things to do than to argue why a 7 bolt or 6 bolt in my opinion are troublesome once making big power, (in my opinion) once again.

M33P

Established Member
Yea, you know you are right, what in the heck do it know. How dare I make such a comment without asking the DSM gods for their approval. Everyone has an opinion, like it or leave it kid.

*Edited for not enough sarcasm!*

this is P&V, not smackdown. no need to get all butthurt.

Explosive

Established Member
My instructor in high school was a DSM nut. Put together a couple cars in there. Easy to work on once you get familiar with them but they never held up. Something was always going bad and I was replacing shit every other day. Was the first AWD turbo car I ever really drove. Had a good time messing around with them.
Really didn't understand how nice AWD was until I got in one of them and found myself blowing around corners wayyyy faster than either of my mustangs would handle them.

boostaholick

Established Member
Local DSM around here, Gets down with it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9w83dzpZ0"]C-Dub's Red Rocket *NEW 1/8th Mile Auto AWD WORLD RECORD* April 2010 - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL6W3KvLTCo"]C-Dubs 8.4 Pass - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Wasn't aware that a pretty vehicle goes faster than one that "looks like poo". Must be like adding stickers adds horsepower eh?:bored: Those cars really have a shit ton of potential on the cheap. It would definitely crush a few egos, and empty a few wallets.

Who said it did? So you're saying stickers make cars look better, in turn making them faster? :??:

Still looks like poo. I don't give a damn how fast it is, you can't outrun ugly

Users who are viewing this thread