Best exhaust for 2014 5.0 GT? (2016 recommendations)

Landmonster

Established Member
Hi guys.

I have a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0.

I was considering getting full exhaust done soon, so I wanted to check in and see what the current recommendations are.

I'm looking for the best quality (durability/looks/fitment), as well as maximum HP, as I would plan to keep this car a long time, and further modify it down the road.

1) Long Tubes 1 7/8 (what brand best?)
2) Off road X or H, or catted X or H? (Does the off-road really gain much? Is X or H superior for horsepower?)
3) Cat-back exhaust (Which brand makes the most hp?)

Please advise. Thanks

KushBandit

Established Member
Kooks, American Racing and Stainless Works make some excellent headers for these cars.

As for Off-road pipes, they are worth getting. They make power by removing the catalytic converters. An H pipe may make 2-3 ft/lbs of torque over the X pipe, while the X may make 2-3 HP over the H. Honestly, go with what you think sounds better.

Cat back won't make you any noticable power, so again, just go with what you like the sound of.

Landmonster

Established Member
I'm just trying to min/max to get the most HP possible out of the setup. I realize the differences may be negligible, but it would be nice to see some data to know.

Something like this? (Could it be improved upon slightly?)
Stainless Works 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0L 1-7/8" Longtube Headers

Off Road X Pipe

MBRP 11-14 Mustang 5.0L 3" T304 Cat Back (Street Series or Pro Series?)

KushBandit

Established Member
That looks like a great exhaust setup. There are tons of dyno sheets and time slips available for various setups, just start "googling".

Who's gonna tune your car?

Landmonster

Established Member
Well my question is, do you think I can eek out a few more HP by switching to a better brand or configuration? (i.e., different brand of header, or catback, etc)

To answer your question, I was gonna let HPP Racing tune my car in Lewisville, TX.

noldevin

Established Member
I'll second what Kush said. Kooks headers supposedly dyno the best, with ARH close behind. Stainless Works are probably the only other brand I'd use.
Also, header size will depend on your long term plans. Do you plan on ever possibly adding boost? If so you might want the larger 1-7/8 headers. If you never plan on boosting, 1-3/4 headers will provide better tq at cruising rpm without any loss in top end.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Best bang for buck setup IMO would be some stainless power long tubes, o/r x pipe and stainless works performance connect catback. Check out the site or shoot us a message and we can get you hooked up on any of the top brands.

Www.teambeefcakeracing.com

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Landmonster

Established Member
Best bang for buck setup IMO would be some stainless power long tubes, o/r x pipe and stainless works performance connect catback. Check out the site or shoot us a message and we can get you hooked up on any of the top brands.

Www.teambeefcakeracing.com

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Would you say the Kooks headers produce noticeably more power than the Stainless works?

If so, what would the cost difference be for 1 7/8" Kooks long tubes over the Stainless Works Long Tubes?

For the catback system, what do you think of the Roush catback? I tend to favor mufflers that have straight through design, because I believe they will be more free-flowing and produce more HP. (I could be wrong)

Bryanh24

Established Member
I have the Stainless power long tubes with the catted x pipe for my 14 gt. I love them, they fit great and the quality is spot on. As for the offroad vs catted x, I raced my buddy with a 13 gt with pypes longtubes and offroad x, we were dead even the whole time. The gains are VERY minimal if there are any when going offroad. The highflows are great and they do not smell nearly as bad as catless . But if you don't mind the smell then just go catless, all comes do to what YOU really want. And for the rest of my exhaust I have the stock OTA's with gt500 axlebacks and the sound is amazing IMO. It can be quiet when cruising with no drone but when I get on it it sounds like a bat outta hell, it's great. My buddy with the longtubes and offroad x has the Magnaflow street axlebacks and those are a great choice as well, very deep tone that sounds just badass. I hope I helped!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
As already stated Kooks, American Racing, and Stainless Works are all great quality and made in the good ol USA. If you are not in a rush wait a few weeks and then place your order once the Christmas Sales come out. Lethal Performance already posted their Christmas sales, follow this link. http://www.lethalperformance.com/info/index.php/lethal-performance-huge-holiday-sale

Another popular vendor Beefcake already posted in here and they always have great prices. Jason from Competition Speed and Sound always has some of the best prices and hands down the best customer service out there, you can PM him on here his username is TRBO VNM and is a site vendor like the others I just listed. I actually just ordered a set of Kooks headers from Jason, cant wait to get them on.

noldevin

Established Member
Would you say the Kooks headers produce noticeably more power than the Stainless works?

If so, what would the cost difference be for 1 7/8" Kooks long tubes over the Stainless Works Long Tubes?

For the catback system, what do you think of the Roush catback? I tend to favor mufflers that have straight through design, because I believe they will be more free-flowing and produce more HP. (I could be wrong)
I wouldn't say noticeable gains, the top 3 header companies should all be within 5-10hp of each other. But Kooks tend to dyno the highest, even if only by a little bit.

As for the Roush catback, I'd skip it. The Roush mufflers sound nice when you have an otherwise stock exhaust, but once you change other things they become super loud, obnoxious, and blatty. Especially while driving around normally and not burying the gas pedal.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
I don't think you can ever go wrong with MagnaFlow. Cleanest sound in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Kooks headers are fantastic for these... they fit perfectly and have solid gains.

H and X have slight differences in where they give their power on the curve, but for a street car it is mostly a sound preference.

Axleback is definitely a sound preference. I don't think anyone has ever been able to come up with any noticable gain from one axleback over another.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Here is some eye candy for you. My Kooks just came in and as others have said these are some high quality headers. On my 04 Cobra I had BBKs and there is no comparison. Cant wait to get these put on.

IMG_20161211_110530365_zpsazpzyfhu.jpg

Famine

Established Member
Kooks, American Racing and Stainless Works make some excellent headers for these cars.

As for Off-road pipes, they are worth getting. They make power by removing the catalytic converters. An H pipe may make 2-3 ft/lbs of torque over the X pipe, while the X may make 2-3 HP over the H. Honestly, go with what you think sounds better.

Cat back won't make you any noticable power, so again, just go with what you like the sound of.

This....

kdaly

Established Member
Didnt read the above posts, but I have the ARH 1 7/8 and ARH catted H to stock over the axle and gt500s axlebacks and I have yet to hear a better sounding setup that doesnt produce drone or sound "high school".

kbmag1

Established Member
My sound preference has been no resonators with GT500 mufflers. Currently running no cats, no resonators and stuck the stockers back on as it was quite loud

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I just put on some kooks axel backs this weekend to try out vs the GT500s. They are much deeper sounding but I think I like the GT500s better. Might have a set of kooks AB for sale in the near future OP. If you are interested I bought them for $300 and would sell for the same. They are in great shape and look brand new

Users who are viewing this thread