Best slip or clutch?

96chargedcobra

Established Member
my car is a 2012 svtpp that is bone stock. I just picked up the car and can't tell if the small rpm spike is from the clutch slipping or the belt slipping. The clutch is very stiff but has a high release.
When I go wot in third or 4th the rpms spike 1000-1500 rpms and then "catches". It is almost like it is spinning the tires without spinning the tires.

Imatk

Established Member
I would suspect the clutch not belt. It's fairly easy to tell if your belt is slipping.

Usually you'll hear it and if you don't you'll see black "dust" under the hood from the belt.

If neither is present it's your clutch.

If your clutch is stock it shouldn't be that stiff. Perhaps there was an aftermarket clutch installed... or maybe the stiffness is just the marcels (springs)wearing out.

sleek98

Established Member
Check out lethals 12 days of Christmas. They usually do a sale on mecloeds.

Looks like December 14th. 20% off

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Not sure if you have the stocker in there or not, but the stock clutch is like 400 bucks so it's a lot cheaper than any aftermarket option.

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
If you are going to pull your trans or pay someone to pull your trans and replace your clutch do not do a stock replacement unless you are planning on selling the car. You will be back in the same position you are in now. As said above Lethal 17 days of deals is a great time to purchase.

Imatk

Established Member
His car is "bone stock" why would he want to pay 1500 plus for a clutch when 400 bucks will do him just fine?

I've been on my stock clutch for nearly 30k miles at over 600hp... still fine.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If you only plan on a pulley and tune, stick with the stock clutch. Just don't slip it off the line at high rpms. If you do, you just end up smoking your clutch and tires anyway. I leave around 1700rpms on the street, and get a good hook. I'm at pulley and tune, as far as power mods go.

sleek98

Established Member
Auto nation has a OEM clutch at 540 shipped, a Mcleod would be around 1075-1100 shipped during their sale. If OP plans on modding the car the Mcleod would be better. If hes leaving it stock then get another OEM one. However to me the extra 500 to get a much better clutch is worth doing it once. The stock clutch is failing for some reason already, could be that his bone stock wasnt bone stock all along or its had sticky tires on it before.

Then again I am putting in an Auto so I guess I should not comment.

Last edited:

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
Well first off it's. I where close to $1500 for a good clutch. You are able to get a good deal on a McLeod this time a year at around $1100 +/-. Stock clutches are not the best in these cars, they are actually one of the weak points. I will rephrase it though.

If you plan on keeping the car for a few years and you can afford to upgrade, now would be a perfect time to install a performance clutch at a discounted price. If not just install a stock clutch and enjoy the car.

Note: the price for an installed oem clutch through a dealership here is $1300

Last edited:

RedZR

Established Member
I recently added a TVS blower to my 2008 and decided to have the shop change the stock clutch while it was there. My stock clutch had 15k miles on it, but I was concerned about adding 100+ horsepower to the stock clutch.

I actually had an new OEM TSB clutch/flywheel assembly in my shop but decided to do the RXT (better safe than sorry). I have to admit that the RXT is a great clutch. Its pretty light and a lot easier to use that the stock unit. I would highly recommend the RXT. Get one and the clutch will be the least of your worries!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
It's all in how you treat it. barspen got 70k+ on his stock one, including HPDE days.

Imatk

Established Member
Does the McLeod clutch rattle in your car? I have one in my other Mustang and I hate it.

According to McLeod it's "normal"but I really don't like rattles,hums, etc. in my car.

Imatk

Established Member
Just looked up Autonation's price and it's 392.84

+ 21 bucks shipped to me.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The rattle is usually in 4th gear. i about shit my pants when i first heard it but its normal when an upgraded clutch gets put in. the noise is from the non loaded countershaft, something to do with stiffer hub springs in the mcleod.

Im still breaking the clutch in, and about every 4th take off from a dead stop it chatters. ive been told this is normal and will lessen over time.

Id recommended a Mcleod or Spec if youre going go mod the car. if its just a pulley and a tune with occasional nights at the strip, stock is ok. Add slicks and a launch controller, get the upgraded clutch.

96chargedcobra

Established Member
Has* 52,000 miles. And it is a very mild slip. It's intermintant and only seems to happen when I punch it in lower rpms in third or 4th. If I'm over 3500 rpms no problems!

Users who are viewing this thread