C7 ZR1

kaz109

Established Member
Not sure if it has been poster but I know a lot of ppl love Vettes on this site so here you go

Some info on the possible Viper ACR E beater.............

What It Is: The last hurrah and ultimate expression of the current seventh-generation Corvette is in the final throes of testing and development at GM’s Milford, Michigan, proving ground. Armed with significant aero, chassis, and powertrain upgrades, the ZR1 should provide Ferrari 488GTB performance for less than half the price.

Why It Matters: The 2018 ZR1 promises to be the fastest Corvette in recorded history, easily eclipsing 200 mph. We also expect it to accelerate to 60 mph in well under three seconds, top 130 mph in the quarter-mile, and corner with well over 1.00 g of lateral grip.

Platform: The ZR1 proves there’s life left in the classic front-engine, rear-transaxle formula that has served Corvettes since the C5 arrived two decades ago. The core hydroformed aluminum spaceframe integral with a composite-plastic body, transverse monoleaf springs, and aluminum suspension components will be fortified with larger wheels, tires, and brakes. An adjustable rear airfoil that rivals a Cessna Citation’s wing and a substantial front splitter will aid roadholding as speed rises. Gaping air intakes feed and cool the beast within, while substantial hood vents give that flow an efficient exit path.

Powertrain: There are two candidates vying for the honor of providing this Corvette with an estimated 750 horsepower and enough torque to upset the earth’s rotation. The faithful LT4 supercharged V-8 with a larger bore, longer stroke, and more boost is the most likely suspect. The dark horse is an all-new four-cam flat-crankshaft V-8 that would be equipped with twin turbos. As rumors go, this engine will leapfrog the LT5 designation used for 1990–1995 Corvette ZR-1s (note the hyphen) and be known as the LT6. (A vote against that code is the fact that 30 years ago it was ascribed to a lowly 85-hp 4.3-liter Oldsmobile diesel V-6.) No matter which powerplant is jammed beneath the ZR1’s hood, a seven-speed manual transmission will transfer the engine’s output to the suffering rear tires.

Competition: Audi R8, Ferrari 488GTB, McLaren 570S, Mercedes-AMG GT, Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911.

Estimated Arrival and Price: We expected the ZR1 to bow at January’s 2017 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, although development issues have pushed the on-sale date deeper into 2017. Chevy dealers began accepting customer deposits months ago, and deliveries should commence by late summer. Like the 2009–2013 C6 Corvette that last used the hallowed ZR1 nameplate, this one will cost well over $100,000. Considering its significance as the last of a long and distinguished line of front-engine Corvettes, collectors are clearing garage space for the ZR1’s arrival. They’ll also want to keep a bay open for the mid-engined C8, we suspect.

blk02edge

Established Member
Better name it's competition higher if it hopes to actually beat the ACR.

Voltwings

Established Member
The Z06 didnt have enough grip (aero) for its power levels... i hope they literally dont do the exact same thing when they bump this one of up 750. Its got some pretty wicked aero on it though, so we'll see. I love the ACR, but i want to see this thing beat it, just because competition is always good.

Black2010

Established Member
Going to need closer to 1.5G's to come close as that is what the Viper ACR's are pulling. Would be nice to see another contender but I'm not holding my fingers crossed. Haven't read up on the Vette's in a while but if they haven't already done it I sure hope they got all the cooling bugs worked out as going into limp mode after a couple laps is going to hurt it's time as well.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Dont know any production car with a racing style wing that can hit 200mph. This car is said "easily eclipsing 200 mph", we shall see.

Cant wait for Ford GT figures to come out too.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Dont know any production car with a racing style wing that can hit 200mph. This car is said "easily eclipsing 200 mph", we shall see.

Maybe not with a fixed wing. Active aero should make it possible. Active aero isn't typically allowed in homologated racing though.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
i think...the Corvette just needs to be a Vette; a reasonably priced america sports coupe. Stop trying to compete with exotics that cost 100,000 dollars more. if you want to compete with a 911 turbo or 488, build a car from scratch that is made to do so. this also means world class interior, vehicle exclusive drive train, amazing attention to detail and if thats what it starts off as, its okay to charge mega bucks for it. Personally, I think GM would be better off setting its targets at those exotics using the Cadillac brand. but the truth is no matter how nice/fast it is, people will balk at the thought of paying six figures for a Corvette.

yenko boy

Established Member
Gm is working on a from scratch super car beyond the corvette, at this point nobody knows if it will be branded a cadillac or not but corvette has a better racing heritage. Also the corvette racing team needs a more competetive chassis and engine to keep up with the competition. I believe its safe to say the zr1's performance will be bonkers so just imagine whats in store for the mid engine zora...

Sn95Snake

Established Member

I was going to say the same thing about the aggressive aero and 200+mph. I don't believe it for a second.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
i think...the Corvette just needs to be a Vette; a reasonably priced america sports coupe. Stop trying to compete with exotics that cost 100,000 dollars more. if you want to compete with a 911 turbo or 488, build a car from scratch that is made to do so. this also means world class interior, vehicle exclusive drive train, amazing attention to detail and if thats what it starts off as, its okay to charge mega bucks for it. Personally, I think GM would be better off setting its targets at those exotics using the Cadillac brand. but the truth is no matter how nice/fast it is, people will balk at the thought of paying six figures for a Corvette.

You have to be careful with this as companies can't move too far upmarket too quickly. You have to work your way up.

Cadillac is a great example. They took too big of a step to compete with BMW, and took a huge hit in sales. A lot of people will buy the BMW (or other brand) when comparable cars are the same cost.

Lots of number crunching goes into it. Were talking very small markets above the corvette. Hell, ford doesn't compete with the corvette and viper because of how small the market is. Its very hard to justify hundreds of millions of dollars on a new unique platform you are targeting at a market of a few thousand a year when you don't have the perception of a high end niche manufacturer. Even if its a better performer, a lot of people will still go for another, more prestigious brand, because its "just a chevy."

The fact that the corvette has "affordable" options is what keeps it afloat. That and it helps brand image and brings people into the dealership.

snakecharmer

Established Member
You have to be careful with this as companies can't move too far upmarket too quickly. You have to work your way up.

Cadillac is a great example. They took too big of a step to compete with BMW, and took a huge hit in sales. A lot of people will buy the BMW (or other brand) when comparable cars are the same cost.

Lots of number crunching goes into it. Were talking very small markets above the corvette. Hell, ford doesn't compete with the corvette and viper because of how small the market is. Its very hard to justify hundreds of millions of dollars on a new unique platform you are targeting at a market of a few thousand a year when you don't have the perception of a high end niche manufacturer. Even if its a better performer, a lot of people will still go for another, more prestigious brand, because its "just a chevy."

The fact that the corvette has "affordable" options is what keeps it afloat. That and it helps brand image and brings people into the dealership.

Valid point. What people perceive as the value of a brand is hard to change. Even though Cadillac's offerings now consistently get better reviews than BMWs these days and their reliability is way better than the Germans. Facts like that are not as important as perception.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Can't wait until they unveil this animal. It's going to run past cars that are 2,3,4,5,6 times the price. Amazing work if GM can do that again with all the insane hyper/super cars there are now.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Going to need closer to 1.5G's to come close as that is what the Viper ACR's are pulling. Would be nice to see another contender but I'm not holding my fingers crossed. Haven't read up on the Vette's in a while but if they haven't already done it I sure hope they got all the cooling bugs worked out as going into limp mode after a couple laps is going to hurt it's time as well.
Cooling has long since been fixed.

oldmodman

Established Member
Chrysler/Dodge should mess with all the other product planners by continuing the Super Viper for one more year. But hang some hairdryers on it to get it over 1000 Horsepower. And make the wing active so it will do better than 220mph too.
Let it go out with it saying "I may be from the stone age. But I can kick YOUR ASS".

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I do like your thinking, Drew. I'll go one better. I wish Chrysler/Dodge improved the Viper with a sexy/powerful new look, along with that 1000+ hp... and an extended life. I personally think it could have been done, and been competitive, rather than stick with the original and slightly stale design. The Viper is a classic, but even classics eventually either incorporate design and engineering changes/upgrades, or shut down for good. I really hated hearing that the Viper was gone. :(

Users who are viewing this thread