California LEOs come on in

musclefan21

Established Member
How is it to be a LEO in CA? How are we treated there? Life style?

I have been on the job for going on my 5th year here in IL and San Diego PD reached out to me to test with them. I am "thinking" about it, but need some honest, unbiased opinions please.

So what do you think?

Coming Up

WeStayClean
Established Member
Even in California LEO's are treated differently depending on where you work. Best bet is to wait for someone from SD to chime in. I think you would like working in CA.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are you planning on buying a house when you get here?

Plan on almost everything costing much more here in California.

Does the dept that you may be testing with cover moving expenses and any of you house costs? Will they cover the difference between your selling price and the local purchase price? It could be significant.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
How is it to be a LEO in CA? How are we treated there? Life style?

I have been on the job for going on my 5th year here in IL and San Diego PD reached out to me to test with them. I am "thinking" about it, but need some honest, unbiased opinions please.

So what do you think?

I haven't had the chance to live anywhere else other than California. I've been a LEO with the Highway Patrol the last 7 years. I personally love it. California is a truly beautiful state with a wide variety of people, climates, and scenery. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I strongly feel that the majority of people appreciate what California cops do. Occasionally you will have some Adam Henry, but overall, we're well respected among the community.

San Diego is a really pretty place. It doesn't have a shortage of things to do if that's your concern. The cost of living in a place like San Diego is pretty high. I'm from Santa Cruz, CA (Central Coast of California) and most rentals in nice areas vary from 2100 to 3200 a month. Median home prices in my neighborhood are around 800k+. It's definitely not cheap to live anywhere on the coast, whether you're far south in San Diego or far north in Crescent City. Our local PD (Santa Cruz PD) is hiring and open to laterals. Most of their Officers make around 110-130k a year, retirement is 3% @ 50 with CalPers. Hint hint!

How's your Spanish? San Diego has a strong Hispanic population like many cities in California. Basic Spanish will take you a long ways in California. There's not a day I don't have to use it on a traffic stop or DUI investigation.

Feel free to PM me. Whatever firearms you currently own, even simple ARs, would require some modification to technically be "legal" here if you established residency. Most class 3 stuff (SBRs, Suppressors) are illegal here without an agency signed letter. just FYI.

-lex

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
SD is a military town too, be ready to deal with veterans with egos.
Peronally I would give it a shot, much better weather in SD than anywhere in illinois. Vegas is about 5 hours drive.

Users who are viewing this thread